General Heads-Up Display (HUD)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dean, Monday 23rd Jul, 2012.

1. dean Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi all don't know if this is the right place to post this but here are a few photos of my new heads up display.sorry about the shakes on some but driving an pic takin not recommended lol hope you like.

SAM_0981.

SAM_0982.

SAM_0983.

SAM_0990.

SAM_0993 (2).

SAM_0993 (2).

2. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So how does that work then???

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Looks sweet as Paul has asked it looks the business how does it look in the night?

4. dean Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

plugs into OBD socket then you set your min/max revs/mph or kph an off you go mph above an lights(like F1) show you when to change gear display underneath
    thay go...green,amber blue flash alltogether for change up if you want to race or there is a setting for fuel economy but ant used that yet lol

5. dean Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

auto brightness adjust an looks even better @ night

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Do share the finer details of Mod cost,make etc .it I may want this on my 8th Generation.

7. dean Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

google Hud-e this is the firm i got mine from,first seen in top gear mag,cost £100. it sits on top of the dash but if you are willing you could build it in,they list all cars it works with most cars from 2002 onwards it seems but the bonus for me is so easy to install and when you get a new car just take it with you.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks Dean,there website does not say whether it will work on the 8th Generation.

9. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    Hope, I did not throw my money down the drain now :stretcher:, but I´ve just
    ordererd a Valeo GPS-HUD - will give some feedback later ...

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That looks interesting. Looking forward to see how you get on with it. :Smile:

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Unfortunately "HUD-e" the original manufacturer's appear to have gone under.

12. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    Wow, I ordered sunday morning in a attack of Amazonitis and the Speed Visio has
    already been delivered ... The first impression is good - it seems to have good quality
    and I´m amazed at how compact it is. :Smile: - Attached some first photos ...
    Unfortunately I will not find the time this week to install it ... :Drool: :Sobbing:

IMG_0483.JPG IMG_0486.JPG IMG_0489.JPG

DeviateDefiant and Ichiban like this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Looking forward to your review bud.

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

15. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    There are various iPhone apps that do this type of HUD display. It only works at night, unless you place some sort of strip on the windscreen. I used one before to see it in action. I can see they have evolved a lot since then.

Apps are ranging from free to few pounds. You don't need to buy the most expensive bit, the device, but it means you can't use your phone while driving ... and you shouldn't. So maybe it's a good trade off.

Now if I could only find one that connects to a Bluetooth OBD reader, it could display gear changes etc instead of just speed and directions. But in all honesty, I don't think I need to be told when to change a gear :Smile:

Awesome HUD on the App Store on iTunes
    GPS Dash Lite on the App Store on iTunes
    HUDWAY — GPS Navigation with Head-Up Display HUD for drivers + Voice Co-Driver on the App Store on iTunes

Nels likes this.
  16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Some good info there @bijomaru. Thank you. :Smile:

17. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    My conclusion after one week driving with the Speed Visio - this little thing stays installed :Smile: - it´s really much better than a app version I tried before and very helpful for me, cause I´ve a few really bad radar traps on my travel to and back from work …

After a few tries I think I´ve found a optimal place for it – I did´nt yet stick it to the dashboard, but fixed it with the socket on a non-slip mat for handys - pherhpas my durable solution, cause it´s easier to remove for the charging at home.

In my opinion, there is no need to install the windscreen folia sticker, the display is good visible at night and even good at sunny daytime (automatic brightness)

The operating time of the battery mode I will use ( I really hate cables in the car :Messed: ) was ~ 5 hours – I don´t know why the operating time has been criticized by some users (-only one hour ??) Pherhaps it longer lasts, cause I charge it at home with a usb charger and not with the attached car charger and had no problems with this issue.

In the sum, I would give the Speed Visio 5 from 6 Points :Niceone: – one point deduction, cause after switching on, it may take 2-3 annoying minutes before the speed gets displayed (-> GPS) and when the battery gets empty, the speedometer switchs of very quick without big prior notice ...

IMG_0500.JPG IMG_0505.JPG IMG_0516.JPG

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Nice write-up, it does sound like a pain to use on battery power without it being hard-wired in. Given it's position it shouldn't be hard to follow a wire to the left and down into the glove box area, from there you've got plenty of places to pick for a power source.

19. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Oooooo another gadget for me to get :Smile:

No Roger. BAD Roger !!

Thanks for the info guys

By the way @bijomaru , you could try Dash Command, which is an Android app which will connect to an OBD Reader. As far as I know, if you configure it with all the specifics for your car, it can tell you optimal time to change gears. I posted a VERY basic review of a couple of Android OBD Reader apps here somewhere. Let me try and find it.

Here you go - link -

Nighthawk likes this.
  20. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Thanks @RogerH69

I am actually getting an android device this week so that will come in handy :Smile:

RogerH69 likes this.