ICE & HFT HeadUnit AUX in cable

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Bob, Wednesday 19th Jun, 2013.

1. Bob Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have been using an iPhone FM Transmitter for a few months now and it is finally doing my head in.

I've got a 2004 Accord Tourer CDTi and the head unit has what I presume is a model number on the front of it - 2JK1
    I've been looking at the XCarLink kit, but I'm still not sold on it.

I would prefer it if I wasn't using my phone for music, but the USB/SD Card version doesn't excite me. The folder structure required, and navigation of it sound, well, clunky.

So, are there any other leads available to add an AUX in, with say, 2 x phono or 3.5mm jack at the other end?
    As I understand the rear of the unit has a bespoke AUX in.
  2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I don't remember ever seeing one with 2 x phono or 3.5mm jack at the other end. But if you're that determined you could buy a Y cable off the xcarlink website and take a soldering iron to it.
  3. Bob Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yea I suppose that is always an option.
    Didn't think it would be that easy, as a lot of people seem to be going for the XCarLink.
    Such shame, I would love to try building a car PC with a raspberry pi, but need an audio input to plug it into the head unit.

Does anyone here have a Y-cable?
    How many pin outs does each female socket have?
  4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    There's another member on here who's got an ongoing project to build a car pc. It's quite technical so might prove useful.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Bob have a look at my project links in my signature. I did have a PC based carpc in my two Accords for a few years, with the screen displaying on the Honda Sat Nav system. The PC eventually gave up the ghost and has been sittingin my office since awaiting repair.

I might get back to the Android carpc project soon.

I've not considered the Raspberry Pi as a CarPC (yet) as I haven't come across any good touch screen friendly carpc type applications for the Pi.
  6. Bob Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the heads-up guys.
    Gee, I'll check out your thread, I don't have the Sat Nav in my car so would need a screen to interact with the Pi.

The Pi does seem like an ideal candidate for use in a car but after doing a bit of reading up it may be a more involved project than I first thought.
    Also the touch screens are still quite pricey, although I did see this bundle, and they say they have a linux distro already tuned for a touch screen. Raspberry Pi Touchscreen Bundle | Raspberry Pi Projects | Car Computer
    That would take the hard work out of the configuration.

But I think I'm getting waaay ahead of myself. What starts off as a little thought, soon grows into something outta control, as I really cannot justify spending loads of cash (that I don't really have) on a carpc right now. Shame really as it would be a cool project to work on.

Thanks for all the replies, but it looks like I will probably have to go down the XCarLink route and continue using my phone for tunes after all.