ICE & HFT Headunit - What's your thoughts....

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by PeteMM, Saturday 3rd Aug, 2013.

1. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Hi guys,

I am new here, but as I wasn't getting any form of response on another Accord forum i thought I would post here and ask.

i have searched a few different phrases to see if this has been discussed before, but had no luck finding it.

Anyhoo, I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with these units

View attachment 10867
    BN DVD/GPS Player For HONDA ACCORD 2003-07 | eBay

They obviously seem to be fairly good value for money, the dual zone buttons are on the wrong sides but that i am lead to believe is easily rectified. has anyone got any real world experience with it?

how does it feel? cheap, flimsy, etc or OEM and quite chunky?
    Does it actually function or is it jumpy and stutters between tasks like an old knackered PC?
    Are all the original car functions still working okay?

Of course if there is anything else you can add, please feel free to do so.

I cannot see the point in spending almost the same money for x-carlink and a good parrot system and still not have the functionality this seems to have without loads of additional boxes, wiring, and random bits stuck to your dashboard.

Thanks in advance

Pete

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Pete, welcome to AOC.

My guess is that its going to be cheap and cheerful, its based on Windows CE 5 from back in 2004.
    Have you not come across any reviews on the internet ? Or maybe any youtube vids of it installed and running ?

Failing that perhaps one of our members living in Liverpool can drop by that shop and check it out for you, DeviateDefiant perhaps ? He sometimes pops upto Liverpool.

What do you have in at the moment is it the Honda Sat Nav system ?

PeteMM likes this.
  3. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    There was a thread on another accord forum about this - it definitely doesn't work with the diesel so if you have a diesel it's a non starter. I'm sure there's pics somewhere of one fitted and it looked okay to be honest.

4. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

That's what got me started on thinking it was a good idea. So i asked the relevant questions in that thread and as yet, no replies. I see this forum is much busier and as such i would imagine more chance of finding someone with real-world experience of it.

My current system is the standard accord headunit not even a premium sound version

i have watched the youtube videos of it from the supplier, but I have yet to find any others. Having read the thread on the other forum there were a few things that didn't work, namely the entire diesel range - due to the aircon. but I am not really interested in speculative critisism, more real world, day-to-day experience from someone who is using it constantly.

I do a lot of towing of the competition cars, so the fact it comes with a reverse camera suits me, not only for lining up the ball hitch, but for keeping an eye on straps and load when travelling. It also provides handsfree for the phone and seems pretty seamless integration.

I am already sold on it, but I want other peoples experience from ownership. I would imagine software could be upgraded as required.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Ok, fair play, I won't speculate any more then :Smile:

I hope someone does come along with experience of this head unit, I'm kinda intrigued by it myself.

6. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    There's defo someone who has fitted the same unit and was pleased, I just can't remember who it was!

To be honest the Premium Sound System found in the Exec models isn't much cop though it sounds okay. The HVAC side of things is very good though, it's easily the best climate control I've had and wonder how well the software on the non-standard unit would compare?

Interesting project though and if you go through with it plenty of pics.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Oh yeah good point Stu, if you do go ahead Pete, do a DIY guide with plenty of pics. Here on AOC we do a "DIY guide of the month award", so prizes are up for offer :Smile:

8. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    If I remember correctly on of the main reasons why this didn't work well in our Accords is because the unit is designed for a left hand drive car. As you've noticed the dial on the bottom left of the unit has a 'D' to indicate driver, and the bottom right dial has a 'P' to indicate passenger, obviously the wrong way round for uk spec vehicles. As with the standard sat nav unit the drivers controls are the master and the passengers controls are the slave, I.e. the drivers controls override the passengers when required. On this unit simply changing the button covers over won't solve this issue. The master controls will still be on the wrong side. These sort of issues go to the root of the unit which is why it fails to operate the air con unit on uk spec cars.

If it worked and worked well I think it would be fitted to over 50% of members cars by now as it has a LOT of potential. The fact it isn't, and only one member might have attempted this, means most have dismissed this as a viable alternative, for a good reason. Personally I would be disappointed spending all that money then it not working properly.

If you already have a sat nav unit why not just fit an after market rear view camera, it's far simpler and cheaper.

9. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Doc, very valid points indeed.

I had considered the wiring for the climate control, but I was wondering if the control is done through the headunit or via a remote unit. If via a remote unit, then it should still work. However, I would guess you are correct in that the passenger side would remain the primary control for the car despite moving buttons around.

i unfortunately do not have a satnav unit in the car, although having seen what others have managed to do it is always an option. unfortunately I really am not one for filling the dash with stick on stuff for the likes of bluetooth, usb for the phone, etc etc. So had considered this as an all-in-one fix.

I would be more than happy to do a DIY-thread, but I think Doc has made some very good points as to why it wouldn't be great. Not sure I could live with the passenger side being the primary controls. Even if the rest of it was grand, i think that would bug me massively.

But the £280 price tag is a lot easier to swallow than £250-£350 for the satnav headunit, plus a good Parrot at £100ish, then xcarlink at £130. but at least this system has been proven time and time again. I wouldn't want to fill the glovebox with a netbook or anything just yet

10. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    As your car doesn't have sat nav as standard I think this set up might me impossible to fit anyway. Retrofitting a standard sat nav unit to a non sat nav car is almost an impossibility. It involves replacing the entire master wiring loom behind the dash board as the connectors to the sat nav unit are different to those of a standard radio. I assume this after market unit would only come with the connectors suitable to replace a sat nav unit not a standard head unit. So it wouldn't be compatible with your car anyway.

Even if the controls for the climate control could be worked via a remote control it wouldn't change the fact the wiring connectors from the head unit to the vehicle aren't 100% compatible for UK spec cars which have sat nav, which is where the cause of the air con problem lies. So having a remote wouldn't solve this problem either.