Off-Topic Health, Fitness & Nutrition

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Phil1978, Thursday 28th Aug, 2014.

1. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Evening all, Is anyone on here know anything about nutrition, specifically about what foods to eat before exercise?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Beer and beef , just kidding .

Phil1978 likes this.
  3. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Two of my favourite things :beer

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Super cold beer is a sliming agent as you know .

5. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Hmmmm, must Google "beer & beef diet"

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Are you aiming to improve fitness or gain muscle?

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    You'd think you want fast energy which effectively means carbs. The thing is that you already have a ton of potential energy stored in body flat, and if you're trying to either lose weight, or shape-up that's what needs to go. The more carbs you give your body, the less it needs to rely on stored energy, it gets lazy. You put on weight, but you don't shift any of that accumulated fat.

One very effective method for actually shaping up is teaching your body to utilise your stored energy, shift the fat - that's a state called Ketosis.

Effectively you drop carbs and your body resorts to utilising stored fat. Keto based diets, are extremely low carb and high fat. Things like pasta and potatoes are avoided, things like dairy, meat, fish and veg are in.

It's one of the best "body hacks" that I've stumbled across, and you can find preachers of it across the net. It's not a direct answer to your question, but it's something to bear in mind for anyone trying to live healthily. Worth noting, I've seen people follow keto with no working out at all with great results. It's like teaching your body to use what you have.

Phil1978 likes this.
  8. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Well I've been doing kickboxing for a few years and when I grade for a new belt it is on a Saturday morning and I never know what to eat, I either find myself feeling flat or getting a stitch or indigestion halfway through.

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Bananas work for me, but if you're getting indigestion I'd stick with something high fibre and less starchy - fruit/veg/grains.

10. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Would I be better off having a normal meal rather than a breakfast?

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'd eat light personally, they say not to do strenuous physical stuff on a full stomach.

12. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    I can understand that, I went for a pub lunch on a training day once and had a massive mixed grill, suffice to say I almost died during training, I was heavy and bloated, indigestion, I actually thought I was going to be sick on my partner.

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Aha, well I'd say eat light and have some sugary juice to fall-back on if you need a pick me up :Smile:

14. DaBlackOne Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Helen La la land
    I do a lot of running, and have don't several half marathons. (Haven't quite plucked up the courage to do a full one yet!)

On the morning of the run I have something carb packed like beans on toast a good 4 hours before the race, then the our before I will have a banana or a granola bar.
    Drinking plenty of water is essential if you are dehydrated it will suck your energy and make you feel sluggish.

The day before in train I avoid alcohol and the day I train (after work) I will start the day with porridge, then have a snack of fruit, usually apples and grapes, chicken salad for lunch then in the afternoon about 2 hours before training, a banana, rice cakes with peanut butter.

Ensuring that I drink approx 1.5l. In the form of water and herbal tea....oh and a cup of coffee, I would be useless without my caffeinated kick in the pants of a morning!!

Boring I know but this gives me enough fuel to get a good work out and run for around an hour and a half. If I need a top up mid work out I will eat a banana or a protein bar.

Phil1978 likes this.
  15. DaBlackOne Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Helen La la land
    Doh, that should have read "have done several half marathons" bloomin' ipad!

16. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    Eat a Japp bar before sports - a pleasant side effect: this will also keep the air clean .. :Laughing::

SpeedyGee likes this.