Heartbreaking damage.... Rear light and bumper

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by wahabishtiaq, Wednesday 23rd Mar, 2016.

1. wahabishtiaq Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Wahab Ish hemel hempstead
    Hi Folks,

This morning a tragedy hit me when I reversed my car and it hit in to a parked removal wand tail lift. :Frown:

It was such a heartbreaking seeing this as if my car is jinxed. I love my accord so much and this happened.
    -Rear light damaged- ordered a replacement from eBay £30
    -Bumper clips broken- don't know part number to order. Need help!
    -Number scuffed and scratched with a crack on the upper lip- don't know if need a full bumper replacement?
    -Dent and scratch to rear wing- will need a repaint and filler.:Sobbing::Sobbing:

Will go to car repair centre tomorrow to see what can be fixed and how much it will cost.

In mean time any experience or help will be highly appreciated.:help:

Many thanks
    Wahab

2. wahabishtiaq Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

See attached pic

Attached Files:

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    That damage is pretty minor - that small crack in the bumper could be melted back together, rubbed down, smoothed over with flexible filler and repainted. Replacement of that rear cluster doesnt seem like it would be an issue. The damage to the upper quarter panel there would need to be pulled out, this would be best being done at a shop due to it damaging the lines of the car, and lines are the hardest thing to repair and realign up again.

Let us know what the shop says when you take it in. They will probably say to replace the bumper as its less work to replace it then to repair it.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's never nice damaging your car. Nothing unfixable though. @Nighthawk analysis above is spot on. Hope she gets fixed quickly and painlessly.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Really sorry to read about your mishap @wahabishtiaq
    Hope you can get her sorted soon.

7. moi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gm Gardne Tavistock
    ...didn't your parking sensors scream at you before impact?

8. wahabishtiaq Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Parking sensor screamed but it was too late... these are old parking sensors they don't beep until you are -2 feet before impact. lol
    - - - Updated - - -
    Had been to body work shop this morning and after assessing the damage, he gave me quote of £140 and a full day work. i think this is very reasonable?

9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    that is a very good price i think.

10. wahabishtiaq Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I thought so... Thanks. Can anyone suggest what is the little plastic cover and hole in picture i attached. It seems like something i missing from there, i.e plug or clip. I had a look on ling honda diagram but couldn't see any diagram which display this.

any thoughts?

11. Nighthawk Guest

Thats a waterproof clip for the rear cluster to plug into.

£140 is very good. Let them fix the entire lot

I assume for that price they are replacing the cluster with your ebay one and repairing the crack in the bumper?

12. wahabishtiaq Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes they will fix the bumper and the rear dent scratch above cluster.
    Replacing the light will be a doddle once repair is completed.

Hope all comes together. Have appointments lined up for car: each week one for next 3 weeks.

Airbag recall and replacement at Honda
    Clutch and ABS sensor replacement
    And accident repair as mentioned above.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Did you get details of what and how they will fix it ?

How good are the place you went to ? Have you seen the quality of any of there work ?

There's a lot of cowboy bodywork repair shops out there.

Nighthawk likes this.
  14. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    £140 sounds cheap to me.

15. wahabishtiaq Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The guy is a professional, the only reason he is cheap is he cost £60 per panel repair + VAT. He said he will remove bumper and complete the work by rubbing down the damaged areas.

With the scratch and dent he will not remove the panel, and will pull out the dent by heat and pull mechanism, and then rub down, primer, filler, rub down, primer, rub down and then paint, and then clear coat and then blend it by buffing it.

anything out of ordinary?

16. Nighthawk Guest

You can't blend metallic paint in by buffing it due to the manner in which the flakes lie. You have to paint the entire panel. Solid colours can be blended in that way, but not metallics. The pull method is very common and very effective in areas where you cannot get behind the metal to knock it straight. If you can get to the metal behind, you shouldnt use the pull method ideally and should knock it out from the inside. Another method that I used was to use self tapping screws into the metal, pulling the large dents out by pulling on the screws and repairing the smaller holes. Primer is sprayed onto the panel just prior to painting. The filling and body panel repair work should all be completed way before primer goes anywhere near it. The heating of the panel works as the metal stretches upon impact, the heating of the metal expands it as per science class, and then when it is hot, you suddenly cool it down with water, resulting in it pulling itself flatter. This is a very effective way of tackling ripples on large panels like bonnets and roofs from stretched metal.

£60 per panel repair is very cheap indeed... have you seen other work he has completed? Personally I would be slightly concerned about his repair if it is done the way you have explained it

17. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    I'd have thought the bumper alone would be at least £140 if done properly.

Nighthawk likes this.
  18. wahabishtiaq Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think i should check some of his other work. But how can i assess his work in his workshop i.e already repaired panels?

I also went to 5 star repair centre in hemel, who quoted £380 + VAT which was very expensive as Honda's approved repairers. :Frown:

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I think you need to find somewhere in between the two extremes. If you are not all that bothered about the quality of the work then £140 fix is fine.

Nighthawk likes this.
  20. Nighthawk Guest

380 quid is still pretty good. Do you know the amount of work that goes into body repair work? The fact that he is doing it for 60 quid a panel should tell you somthing