Electrical & Lights Heat Seats query

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by mcgowanp, Monday 5th Nov, 2012.

1. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It was fairly baltic this morning so i decided that to switch on the heated seats. As far as i remember when i got the car (about 6 months ago) , the seat heated on the bottom of the seat and also the back part. This morning,i was getting any heat off the back at all. Im wondering if the connections are known to go and if so how do you get at them to check.
    Also, doesn't anyone have a wiring diagram that would explain how the seat bottom side heats up and not the seat back. Im guessing they are all on one fuse???
    ll seems to be inorder on the passenger side - My good wife can testify to this!

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If I recall correctly the 7th Generation prefacelift only had the driver seat heated on both back and bottom, the passenger side is only bottom!

I will dig something up for you shortly to that effect.The 8th Generation has both front seat heated.

3. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks IchibanAccord .. I have never tried the passenger heat myself but you may well be right. Maybe its just radiated heat and she thinks its heating. :Rolf: Either way i will let her to continue think that the car is providing this for her!

4. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just tried my 7th Generation ex and the passenger seat back and bottom seem to be both heating up.

5. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah checked mine again . Passenger side heats top and bottom.. Drivers side back doesnt serm to be heating up any more. I have a feeling this may be a pain to fix if it's a broken connection. :Frown:

6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Easiest thing would be to locate the wiring in the seat and then test if power is getting to it. The wiring will go up one side of the seat by the hinge, it should be fairly easy to trace. Then test it as close to the heating pad as possible. If the pad is faulty I would leave it, you'd have to strip the seat cover off then the heating pad will likely be stuck to the seat foam backing which will make removal/ inspection or repair quite tricky. It can be done, I've done it before on a different car, but it is quite a fight to undo the thick metal staples holding the trim through the seat backing.

My suggestion would be swap the upholstery on the top half of the seat for the one on the passengers side then tell the wife hers has broken as well. :Wink:

Also if you do attempt it watch your fingers, the seat frame is pressed sheet metal and the edges are very sharp.

mcgowanp likes this.
  7. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that Doc. I might try to have a quick look at the weekend. not much time this weather as working and studying part time .I saw a few videos of them re-soldering the connection to the element on an Acura and it looks like a dog of a job to get at.Do they go often wonder with fatigue etc? It would be nice if you could get at it without pulling the seat out and stripping it down.
    Jaysis Doc , i couldn't lie to the wife....i just won't tell her!:Whistle:
    - - - Updated - - -
    View attachment 5233

I'm wondering will it be possible for me to get to the part 5 connection as shown above without pulling the poor seat out. Also is there a way to test for continuity at the connection to see if there is a break on the cable inside the seat?? I see the whole unit is 275 sterling on Lings ..nice....

8. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Hey bud,

Sorry to hear your having probs.. Mine (05) heat base and back both seats.

As a thought with the VAG crud I used to own they had common problem with the heated seats, I do not know how they are set up with the Honda's but with the VAG motors I have had - if you or kids or Dealer techs knelt on the seat base they had a tendency to snap the heating element in the base which then stopped the heating pad from doing its stuff.

May not be this at all with yours but a thought to rule out.

Very best of luck..

9. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's odd because I would have thought also that the element in the back of the seat would be less prone to issues. The base seems to heat up quite strongly. I'm afraid also depending how the system is wired that I may cause damage by using it when the backs not working .i only really noticed this as the wife was saying how nice the heat on her back was in the passenger seat and I couldn't feel any in the drivers seat... If I didn't know it should heat up I wouldn't have ever cared...I'm positive it worked fine a month ago .

10. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Odd indeed,

When ever I have had this issue on my previous German cars it was always the base and it took ou the seat back to...

I found a pdf doc with a wiring layout which might help, tried to upload it but not worked. If you PM me with you email I will email on to you.

Sorry bud Im no I.T. Guru :Unknown:

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Actually I think now that you've mentioned I think my drivers side seat may have the same issue, I don't recall really feeling the heat on the back :Unknown:

12. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Maybe try both seats and compare .i'd be very interested to hear if you discover you have the same issue..Keeps us informed.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Learn something new everyday when I get my 7th Generation back I will turn on the front seats and report back.

I will get the wiring diagrams up soon

14. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    The wiring in the heating element is usually one single wire threaded through the element so if there is a break in it the whole of the pad stops working. Where the power feed go into the heating pad there is a resistor or something to control the temperature of the pad. It would be worth checking the continuity either side of it to make sure the resistor hasn't burnt out.

15. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

View attachment 5237

PrimaryCare kindly sent this on. I hope i haven't ruined the quality of the image by converting to a JPEG. From what i can make out and im in no way familiar with electrical drawings is that:
    Its not a fuse,relay or switch issue which aligns with the fact that the switch lights up works for the cushion.
    I don't really understand the heater portion - I see some sort of a resister (as doc mentioned i believe) before each element. The element seem linked but im Not sure about the dashed lines....
    I presume this correlates with the fact that back cushion can fail and not effect the bottom one.
    Perhaps this helps me also as its shown connection points and possible test points (resisters etc)...

16. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Glad you got it ok

Jpeg ? I was trying for ages last night to upload that pdf ! doh I am so pants with IT :Smile:

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Right guys the test for the heated seats is pretty straight forward.

To check if the heater is working test the 4 pin and the 2 pin plugs at the bottom of the affected seat. Removing the entire seat is advisable if you don't you may find it slightly difficult to do it without a sore knees or a bad back.

Check the heater element.

Disconnect the 4 Pin connector (A) and 2 Pin connector (B) from the seat heater.
    Check for continuity between the B1 and B2 terminals of the seat-back heater 2P connector. There should be continuity.
    Check for continuity between the A1 and A2 terminals, and the A1 and B2 terminals. There should be continuity.
    If the continuity check is not as specified, replace the seat heater.

Heated Seats driver seat countinuity checks and test.JPG

Check switch.

Remove the center console front panel.

Disconnect the 6 Pin connector from the seat heater switch (A), then remove the switch.

Seat Heater Switch Test.JPG

Check for continuity between the terminals in each switch position according to the table.

If the continuity check is not as specified, replace the illumination bulbs (B) or the switch.

Seat Heater Switch Test 2.JPG

Overall Schematics and location of heating elements.

LHD car shown but RHD is symmetrical prefacelift car
    Heated Seats diag. Heated Seats diag 2.JPG

18. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It was great just getting the file in any case..It was very good of you to spend time pullling this up. :Thumbup:

I think the type of file you upload may be limited on the forum... Images are limited to Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif .

JPEG is just a image file really. If you copy the image out from acrobat reader you can drop it into ms paint and re-save as a JPEG image file.... Not as clear as what you sent on but i think its ok.

Ha, now i just need some one to educate me in their interpretation.... i should have done electrical engineering in college!

Thanks again for that.very hard to find a wiring diagram for the heat seats.. I have a couple of reference haynes manuals and can't see it in them at all (Not for my model but they have come in handy -One for the CR-V 02-06 and the American accord 2003-07)
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ichiban, Thanks for pulling this up. that's brilliant..were do you get this stuff!:GoodJob:.. Looks like its definitely a seat removal so... I tried looking under the seat and its quite tight even for that.
    For the switch. if it is lighting up in both positions and one portion of the seat heating up - can i rule it out straight away?

19. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No prob bud sorry I couldn't get it on here for you. The diagram is for 2005 and American? no idea if the set up there differs from UK but CJ would know I feel sure. He is that good they named his very own Honda after him Legend :Thumbup: This is prob to small to read..

ACCORD ELEC SEAT DIA.

20. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep I can read it. I have the one you sent attached in an earlier post too.. I'm sure they are similar. I'm thinking wouldn't it be great if one of the connections was just loose. Not sure I would chance stripping the seat.. The wife would bait me good and proper if saw me with the seat in bits on the driveway.. (she is heavily pregnant too so prob not a good idea until after that ).