Electrical & Lights Heated Seats.. My bottom isnt warm???

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by tonygw, Thursday 6th Feb, 2014.

1. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys

Slight annoying problem I ahve during these winter months.

When I switch on the heated drivers seat the back warms nicely but the seat / bottom doesnt get warm at all.
    The passenger side is all fine though.

I am supecting this could be a nightmare to fix as I am guessing the heating element is broekn in the seat.

But I am certainly open to suggestions.

Does anybody know if its possible to check the resistance of the elements in the seat from the wiring plug connected to the heated seat switch? If it is does anybody have the pin out connection wiring diagram to help me? If it is the heating element in the seat base I am guessing its easier just to replace the drivers seat than dismantle the whole thing?

Please help leather seats are nasty in the winter!

Thanks
    Tony

2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    The top and bottom heater pads both have their own plugs so if you check the resistance at the seat you can isolate the individual heater pad. The base of the seat should remove without the need to remove the seat from the vehicle but for ease of access doing so may be quicker. It may be the resistor on the heating pad instead of a cracked wire. But if you do need to replace it then you can just replace the bottom cushion rather than the entire seat and frame.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  3. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ah thats useful to know thanks, So If I look under the seat I should be able to find the plugs for back and seat cushion heats (I guess there is some trim to remove to get to these?) That would be the best option as I could know for sure if its the heater pad or the switch thats at fault.

Any tips on how to remove the seat cusion? seats are not my strong point.. LOL

Thanks again
    Tony

4. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you search on this forum , there is a wiring diagram and images of the connectors under the seat. Connectors are easy to get to. The element is not. Part is also very expensive to buy new

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    There is 1 power wire to the heating pads it connects from the car to the bottom seat heater, the bottom seat heater in turn connects to the back seat heater. If the back seat heater works then it's not the switch.

You will likely need to remove the plastic trim around the base if the seat to remove the bottom cushion. the trim is held in by screws and clips. The foam cushion and upholstery cover will be clipped over the frame and will remove easily as one piece, it's just getting to it first. Be careful with the seat frame it pressed metal and the edges will be extremely sharp.

Also if you have an airbag in the seat be careful when unplugging wires. I think all the airbag connectors are bright yellow.

The blue connector on the right is for the seatbelt. I would guess the 2 wire grey connector on the left is for the seat heaters but you can easily check this by disconnecting it and checking if the back still heats up.

Honda ACCORD 2008 2.2 EXECUTIVE FRONT SEAT (R.)(RH)(2) - Original Honda Parts | Lings Honda
    The link gives you a diagram of the seat.

Have fun and take plenty of photos to share.

Attached Files:

016.jpg
      File size:
      95.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Thursday 6th Feb, 2014
  6. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks a lot for your help guys this is really useful information.
    As soon as the weather, time and the kids let me I will delve into this murky world of heated seats and try to resolve the problem.

I'll post my findings of course.

Thanks
    Tony

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I've had a few seat base elements go now. it became quite a common problem in CR-V's but not so much in the accord. I've never experianced a faulty switch as of yet so without checking continuity through the elemnt itself its a preaty fair bet its the element at fault. regards replacement remove the seat from the car so you can get at all the trims easily, the upholstery clips are the most difficult things to remove and can be fiddly.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  8. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys. I havent had time to look at this yet... the other car. Audi A4 1.8T decided it didnt like anti freeze anymore and wee'd all over the drive.. SO I need to get that sorted first. Although I did have a look at the wiring next to the gear surround and it seems fine, eventhough now the little LED in the High positionon the switch no longer works for some reason. A new switch should sort that. I am pretty sure like you meniont its the base element.

I am seriously considering my optins here due to lack of time. And am thinking it may just be simpler to replace the whole seat with one from a breakers. Than spend the time stripping the one I have down. They are not so cheap but time seems to be a luxury I no longer have at the moment. mmm descisions.

9. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    A new bulb will sort that!

10. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi guys just one more question. Are all the leathers seats the same for this model of accord. I am going to change the drivers seat and am looking to get a replacement from a scrap dealer. Will any seat from the same year accord be the same or are they specific to petrol, diesel, saloon or tourer? I am hopjng if I buy a leather drivers seat it will fit my tourer 2.4 regardless of which model variant its from, thanks, tony

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Looking at the parts diagrams, it looks like there's some small differences between Facelift and Pre-Facelift. I believe there's no difference between Tourer and Saloon though.

Pre-Facelift:

B__4004.

Facelift:

B__4005.

12. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Brilliant, thanks for the quick reply!!!!