Electrical & Lights Heated washer jets?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by lhazelden, Tuesday 11th Dec, 2012.

1. lhazelden Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just been driving my 2008 EX GT I-DTEC around trying out the winter wheels. All very well, but I can't see where I'm going because the washer jets are frozen! Is this yet another Japanese car without heated washer jets? Please tell me it isn't and mine just aren't working! They should be a legal requirement in any northern country.

2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Simple solution that anyone who used to own an old car knows. Go down halfords get some washer jet hose. Wrap the new washer hose around a coolant hose and divert the washer bottle through it, then join the other end of the new hose onto the end of the original hose removed from the washer bottle. Hey presto heated screen washer fluid, it'll never freeze again!!

3. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    I love that idea Doc, I'd often wondered about borrowing the cooling circuit to heat the entire washer reservoir.

4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Using that method it heats the water up as you use it, the coolant hose is hot enough it heats the washer water up as it passes through the pipe wrapped round it.

5. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Mercs have a coolant hose going through the washer bottle to stop freezing.
    You don't even need to heat it if you use strong winter screenwash, look in Halfords for protection to -10 or so. Some people even rate adding some cheap vodka!

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have been using Shell winter screen wash for years and front or the rear have NEVER frozen , which negates the need the any mods to heat the fluid TBH.

Just get your concentrated levels mixture right or use a winter premix solutions.

7. JAB Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I filled my empty washer bottle last week with Shell Winter Screen Wash, basically to get 200 extra bonus points on my Shell Drivers Club Card.
    Whilst the ambient temperature was below zero which was most of last week the washers would not work due to the wind chill effect freezing the screen wash at the nozzle!

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    strange indeed no such problem with my car in colder Leeds.

9. Superdave Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lidl do a screen wash which will go down to as low as -60, I think it's about a fiver for 5ltrs, been using it since last year, never had hoses or nozzles frozen.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I had problems with my washer jets freezing up last week. I can't remember the name of the screen wash I use but despite having plenty of screen wash the jets still froze. What I did notice today though is that my washer jets are lacking pressure, the water jet stream barely gets half way up the windscreen.

So another reason for the jets freezing up maybe because they partially blocked its easier for the fluid to to freeze around/in the blockage.

Ichiban likes this.
  11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Seconded.

And worse case, even if the nozzles are blocked, luke warm water over them cures that. Minor inconvenience rather than the palava of re-routing hoses/tubes etc.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    just had a thought was it the concentrated or the premix version you used? I can't see that happening on the premix.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A trip to Lidl is called for then.:Thumbup:

14. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

2 years ago I went to Poland just before Christmas,temperature overnight while driving through Germany was -27 and washers worked fine.
    I did put Lidl screen wash before I left,it has very strong odour but it does the job.

15. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Bargain!

Will have to nab some!

16. Superdave Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Saj and CJ, you'll need to be quick, if I remember correctly when I bought mine last winter Lidl sold out their entire stock within a couple of days and Zoran is correct, it does have a very strong odour.

17. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Odour doesnt matter too much when you're in the warm snug car - but yes, will definitely be paying Lidl a visit tomorrow!