Service & Maintenance height of screw jack

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Mike c, Sunday 29th Sep, 2013.

1. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Hi guys
    This is probably a stupid question but have you guys with a 3rd Generation CR-V jacked up your car with the screw jack provided ?
    I wanted to check my front disk pads as there was an occasional squeal coming from the front O/S wheel. I jacked the car up and with the jack fully up it JUST CLEARED the tyre off the ground with it fully extended making it difficult to remove the wheel.
    Also do you have to jack up both sides to enable you to spin the road wheels?
    Is there a suitable point to jack up the vehicle in the middle of the car?
    Regards
    Mike c:cool:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I think the standard scissor jack is just for you to get a tyre replaced when you have a flat\puncture albeit on a level ground.

It wasnt indeended for general maintenance and I would never get under a car which this supporting it.I will dig up the jacking points for the CR-V shortly for you.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  4. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

The annoying thing is that I have got a trolley jack which , when fully lifted, is about an inch too low. I am considering modifying it to have an adjustable lift plate.
    If not I will have to invest in a new one.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No need to invest in a new jack get some strong scaffolding boards lay them down then put you jack on it.

The boards will give you some more clearance. But make sure the ground is solid and hard and your jack has a large caster wheels small wheels can dig into the wood when you lift it.

6. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Good thinking, I've got some in the garage (being as I can't get the CR-V in it). I will have a look at it over the weekend if I get chance.