Introductions Hello all you Honda lovers

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Greek Taxi, Wednesday 13th Jan, 2016.

1. Greek Taxi New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom David Shipley
    Hello

Just joined your enormous forum.
    Bought an FR-V with the 2.2 diesel in August which replaced the wife's crappy 3-door Corsa.
    I like it. Got it from a dealer after noticing it had Michelin tyres all round. It's now on 118k but I'm hoping to wind it far further than that. I think it's a basic model - no cruise, steel wheels, cloth seats. I'm glad about the steel wheels cos I hate cleaning alloys.
    I'm a Mercedes 190 nut, the Honda is our family car. I've got a diesel 190 that used to be my commuting workhorse and is now on axle stands (for nearly a year), and a late petrol model that I got very cheap (head gasket needed doing) but is a little beauty.
    Came across your site after looking for a guide to changing the FR-V's fuel filter. After driving it a few months I'm finally going through the car and giving it a proper service. Just caught the front brakes in time - pads are like wafer biccies. Tyres are almost finished too. Coming from a RWD car you notice how front-heavy a diesel FWD car is.

Just one question so far - where's the coolant drain plug on the engine block?

Here's the FR-V, but the kiddy screen is now gone. Bloody awful thing!

Photo0181.

MickyB likes this.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:welcome: to HK David.

I cannot say that I share you love of Mercs, but we are all different.

Please :garage:It will help us when helping you.
    http://hondakarma.com/faq/how-do-i-add-my-vehicle-to-the-club-garage.10/

Your FR-V has the I-CTDI engine. This guide should help you with the fuel filter. It's from an Accord, but the layout should be the same for a 57 plate.
    Only use genuine Honda fuel filters. The after market ones will cause problems. You have been warned.

http://hondakarma.com/guides/fuel-filter-change-facelift-diesel.3/

FirstHonda likes this.
  3. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    welcome to the forum :Smile:

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Welcome to HondaKarma @Greek Taxi :welcome:

I remember seeing the (then) new MB 190 at the motor show back in the day. My Father needed a new company car, and decided that the 190 was too small in the back. In the end he decided on a Saab 900 (very cool) but for reasons I can no longer remember ended up with the (also new) Vauxhall Cavalier! At least it was the CD 'top of the range' model.

:goodluck: with the FR-V. Lots of people here who can help with any issues you may find.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  6. Greek Taxi New Member Getting Started

Thanks for the welcomes - and the links. That guide to the coolant change looks good.
    FirstHonda - the beauty of the 190 is they were bought by old boys and there are still loads hiding in old folks' garages. Cavalier CD - I can dream. My dad had a 1983 Cavalier LD with 54hp. What a handful that wasn't.
    My 190D isn't much quicker. 72hp. Hold on tight!!

7. Greek Taxi New Member Getting Started

Followed the coolant-change guide you provided SpeedyGee - nice and clear.
    Only thing to add is my block's drain plug is a 17mm (not 14mm), and in February there's no chance of getting the engine warm enough for the fan to kick in. I notice on the FR-V the expansion tank is nice and high so a good squeeze of the top hose while filling should stop any air locks. Anyway, I've had no problems.
    One other issue that cropped up - fumes in the cabin. I thought it was the dreaded exhaust manifold but it turned out to be a copper washer at the base of one of the injectors that was no longer providing a seal. Big relief there. Injector came out easily which bodes well for the future.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good to hear that the guide came in handy :Thumbup:

Easy fix too for the fumes :Smile:

9. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello :Bye:and :welcome:to :gohonda:Karma.