Introductions Hello, am not panicking,... much

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by tomtom 23, Thursday 7th Jul, 2016.

1. tomtom 23 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Tom Tom Zummerzet
    Hi all,
    If I were not supposed to be going away on Monday I'd be happier with a broken oil filter housing.... and an FR-V on the drive....

And one of the kids has just been sick!

I hope the FR-V and my attempts to maintain it will be more straight forward than this...

:Smile:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hello buddy,sorry to hear you broken the oil filter carrier there is no option but to replace the entire thing.

3. tomtom 23 New Member Getting Started

Hi there,
    Thanks so much for your reply.,,, Am having kittens here as I need the car Monday...
    I have sourced a new carrier, what worries me is why the old one was only fitted with one- the largest of the 3- o-rings and what damage has been done since it was installed (incorrectly?) ?
    If they are not needed (all 3 o-rings) then why sell them with filters etc.....

Guessing that as it was a bugger to fit the housing, someone just left off two 0-rings, but why would that be so? ... Missing were smallest and middle, of the 3.
    Ahhhhgg! So many questions....!

What I really want to hear is,...." *Your* model of FR-V only needs the last 0-ring,, no harm done, and reinstall as you found it"... Somehow I doubt this....
    Cheers,
    Tom

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Replace it with a new OEM filter. The OEM filters come with the 3 o rings necessary to use on the carrier. Just remember not to install them dry and wipe them with a bit of engine oil before hand.

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

6. tomtom 23 New Member Getting Started

Thanks for the welcome Nels.

I am typical poor at these forum things, but I plan to get to grips with keeping my FR-V on the road for as long as possible and do what I can to make that cheap-ish. Ooops...

So,. ....Proper Honda filter body, housing and o-rings- £24.... Considering I broke something I did not understand, on a car, I am pleased to not have had to pay more.
    Of course if fitted perfectly and easily.... given that I'd not double-up the o-rings....

Now looking at the new air filter that I bought on the 'how hard can it be?' basis....
    I will install that/break something else after we get back from our trip away.

And to think I was mentally building up to change the fuel filter! Lol!

Nighthawk and SpeedyGee like this.
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

When you change the fuel filter use a genuine Honda one. After market ones will give you problems and then you'll end up getting one anyway.

If you become a Club Supporter or reach Club Member rank, then you will be able to have discount from HH.

See the FAQ Section and Rank Titles and Premium Members (Announcement - ) for more details

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Welcome to HondaKarma @tomtom 23 :welcome:

Sorry to hear about your issue. Have you managed to get it sorted now?

9. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello:Bye:and:welcome:to:gohonda:Karma
    Now that you are an active member please note that you are eligible to vote for the Honda of the Month and other awards to members
    - - - Updated - - -
    Hello:Bye:and:welcome:to:gohonda:Karma
    Now that you are an active member please note that you are eligible to vote for the Honda of the Month and other awards to members