General Hello and first impressions

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Graphnic, Tuesday 2nd Sep, 2014.

1. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Hello, thought I'd introduce myself as a forum and Honda CR-V newbie!

Having been a ford man for 14 years I recently had a disastrous foray into Skoda for a few months and now find myself with a 57 CR-V 2.2 ctdi ES - which is a good thing as I really like the car in general.

Although it's a few years old it is in really nice shape, with 38k on the clock - which from the MOT history and condition appears to be genuine:Smile:

Couple of niggles only;

1. Real MPG is only 32.8 on my first full tank. This is a mix of A roads, town and a little motorway. It was on Tesco motion lotion for this tank, but trying shell now. I see on here people are getting much better than that. Is there anything mechanical/non driving style I should look into? I'm not feather footed but don't rev the pants off it either!

2. When cold, there is a quiet by audible turbo whine. Sounds a little like a distant police car! Gets a lot quieter when warmed up, but is there if you listen. Anything to be concerned over (apart from ignoring real rozzers by mistaking them for turbo whine) ?

3. I'm 6'2" and would like to get the seat another 2 inches back. Anyone know of any replacement rails to do this? Can't find mention of anything anywhere! Seems the seat goes so close to the dash you could hardly fit a human limb in the gap let alone drive, yet the end of the rails is all to easily reached if you are tall.

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome @Graphnic - I'm sure the very knowledgeable CR-V owners will be able to help you eradicate your niggles :Hey:

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to the club @Graphnic, I'm also not a CR-V or I-CTDI owner but no doubt they'll be able to point you in the right direction :Smile:

4. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome along I don't have a CR-V but an Accord with the same engine my turbo whines when cold too.

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK @Graphnic :welcome: Great to have another Midlander aboard.

My only suggestion, is to check/change your oil. The 'thinner' newer recommender oil should improve MPG.
    As for fuel, supermarket brands appear to return lower figures. I think you'll just have to try a few and see what's better for you.

6. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Thanks guys!

@Nels - yes I was considering that. It's due a service in December but I suspect the previous owner may have done a lot of short journeys judging by the mileage since the last MOT.

I'm on a tank of standard Shell now, so we'll see if that's any different.

What is the recommend oil now - there seems to be a few thoughts on this, right? I do have a load of Ford spec 5w 30 Magnatec left over from my Mondeo days - don't suppose that's an option for a few thousand mile until the service?

Nick

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

For I-CDTI engines recommended oil is 0W-30.
    :welcome: to HK.

8. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Thanks @Zoran - Looks like I'll be giving that 5w 30 away then - nevermind. Any brand preference? There are Castrol stickers all over the car, but guessing that's a commercial co-branding deal more than anything else?

9. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When I had Accord I cdti I bought Exol ow30 from Lubetech in 20 litre containers.
    Worked out much cheaper then buying in 5 litre containers.
    Mobil, Castrol are all good oils and you can use any you prefer.
    Have a look on Lubetech website.

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

This may help.

Attached Files:

Graphnic likes this.
  11. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Thanks guys. I have no idea whether the additional cost of the castrol is worth it or not?

Reluctant to throw a premium product at it when a service is due in a few thousand miles, and it will be drained out and replaced with whatever the dealer uses. But at the same time, the oil isn't looking great and we're doing a run to Aberdeen in a few weeks.

12. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi and welcome on board the CR-V board

I own an I-DTEC variant and the turbo does whine on my car too and she has less miles than yours.
    Best sticking to recommended oils as discussed above ... Dtec's use expensive oil too, just put the right stuff in to reduce any future problems.

Mileage returns varies on these things for sure ... I am noticing a reduced MPG of late and this is after a replacement of oils, filters inc fuel etc. I too think its down to diesel ... We don't get great stuff/choice over here in NI. My advice use best you can afford. They run very well on long cruising journeys, but any spirited runs they can suck the juice for sure. Short runs or not ideal either. Driving style is massive though and I don't know what you are like behind the wheel in terms of gearing, clutch and braking habits.

Try buying some of the better additives to add to your tank, plenty of choice out there. I'm currently using millers 10 fill treatment to eradicate and previous owner wrong doings but to be fair that is not the case.

I'm 6ft 3 or so and I gave no issues with the legroom or seating position I get from my seats so unsure why you are having diffs ... And I am quite long legged!

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

You got it, Honda do have a partnership with Castrol, they still make a good oil :Smile:

I'd recommend Mobil ESP 0w-30 or Castrol Edge 0w-30. I'm personally a Mobil guy.

That said, if the dealer is replacing it, I would go for something cheap but dependable like Comma 0w-30 :Thumbup:

nsxer likes this.
  14. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I put the dear stuff in, for a clean slate approach at around 19.5k ... Next warranted service date is 25k ... So not a lot of miles will be done on mine either. Pending on who you talk to it is beneficial to replace oil in diesels more often than not. I know I won't be sticking to the 12.5 intervals ... Mine will be changed earlier

15. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    @nsxer Thanks for that. interesting thought about the additives. I'm not too thunder-footed but probably could be a lot more frugal. Got used the Mondeo which seemed to return 34mpg however it was driven!

I'll get used to the seating position I'm sure. Just being fussy! It's a heck of a lot better than the Octaiva I had for a few months.

Good the know the turbo whine is common and probably no issue.

Current oil can't have done many miles but maybe had a thrashing of short trips.

@DeviateDefiant I'll check out the Comma, thanks.

16. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Getting the impression 6k intervals for oil are a good idea! Time to get my hands dirty and get out of my lazy Ford habbits!

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'd say if you're getting a dealer to do the proper servicing intervals, do a mid-point oil change yourself :Thumbup:

18. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to HK Nick :welcome:

19. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Thanks for all the welcomes everyone:Smile: