Introductions Hello from a new member

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Harvey, Saturday 15th Mar, 2014.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello everyone, my name is Gareth and I hail from Oswestry, in Shropshire.
    I have just become the proud owner of a 2000 (Xreg) Accord, which I picked up from the ebay seller only last thursday.
    I have previously come from Vauxhalls having owned an 1996 Astra for the last 5 1/2 years, but had decided to change as i was getting tired of the old girl to be honest. This is my first Honda and to be even more honest I know next to nothing about them, just that they are reliable and fun cars to drive.

Here are a couple of pics of her, pretty much as I picked her up, though I've got a few ideas that I'd like to try out and do to her.

DSC_0297_zpse0737e9d.
    DSC_0303_zps92454358.

Before anyone points it out, yes the exhaust is broken, it was like this when I bought it, its snapped just before the flange for the backbox.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome aboard Gareth.

Looking forward to seeing you implement your ideas. That's one great thing about swapping cars, it gives you fresh ideas for mods and things to fix.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to the club Gareth

4. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thats very true mate.
    The list isnt so long at the moment, its mostly fixing things to start with. At the moment there is a knock coming from the front left corner, which I put down to ARB links worn out. I've jacked it up, but can't feel anything, but will probs just replace anyway.
    I need to fix the rear boot squirter thing as its snapped off, check to see if the electric aeriel is broken and if so repair and replace, then its an AEM induction kit and maybe a stainless exhaust, so far.

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good looking car you got there mate, really liking the alloys. Anyway if you need ideas/repair advice head over to the 6th Generation section and take a look.

6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks very much Mr Chunkylover, I'll head over there in due course and see how things pan out. Is it worth also getting something like a Haynes manual for this car, since my knowlage of Hondas goes as far as watching videos by Ericthecarguy on youtube?

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to the club @Harvey. It's probably at that point where the ARB bushes/links are getting worn down, my front ones were done last year on a 2003. Looking forward to seeing you implement some of the mods you've listed. The F-Series sounds great with an induction kit on it as you get into VTEC :Smile:

Removed wrong info about Haynes. Though you'll find forum members will be able to give you pointers on most things.

I've watched a lot of "EricTheCarGuy" myself :Grin:

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Short answer - nope. Firstly Haynes didn't make a manual specific to our chassis as far as I know, secondly members are very knowledgeable here and should be able to upload info from workshop manuals. Lings Honda site is perfect if you want exploded diagrams.

9. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well Mr DD, I'm glad I'm not the only one who watches him here, he seems to be a pretty cool guy and good at what he does. Your most likely right in what you say about the ARB links/bushes on this car, in that they are due for replacement. Its done about 116k now, and if i remember the previous owner mentioned one of them had been done.

I wasnt aware they didnt make a haynes for my car, but its good to know that there are those on here who know what they are talking about.

10. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    Very nice, welcome to the forum

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Just be careful about some of the things that EricTheCarGuy says, he's quite errr unorthodox in his ways.

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah he's a bit lazy at times and does things the "simple" way that aren't quite following best practices. He certainly is good for casual info and learnings bits about the car.

Like with brake pads and tyres, they should probably be done in pairs by the axle. I'd get both sides done if you do replace them :Smile:

I just did some checking as I thought they had too, only US models after the 5th Generation Accord.

13. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ok, I'll bear that in mind. I'm not saying though that I'm not handy with a spanner or two, having come from owning a Vauxhall. If there is anything I'm unsure of then its best to ask. Though do you have any examples of his unorthdoxness. excuse my ignorance, Like I said don't get me wrong i love taking things appart and fixing them, so know some things, but I am far from perfect.

14. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    I used to live not too far from you just outside Telford.

Welcome along

15. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thank you. Yep, Telford isnt far at all.

16. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Welcome to the forum. That's a nice looking car especially for it's age. I've come from Vauxhalls as well, the forum has plenty of information so you'll learn a lot very quickly.

17. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks Matt, its not in bad condition for its age really, the paint is pretty good, its got a few small dents that are hardly noticable. a previous owner siliconed up the back lights to stop them leaking, the rear squirter is snapped off and the electric aerial doesnt appear to work, but that could be a wire at the back of the head unit?

18. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've got a Sony headunit in my 6th Generation and the electric aerial works intermittently. You have to really force the connector into the base unit to get it working. These days I don't bother because I stream music via bluetooth and there aren't any hip hop stations outside London anyway.

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Don't tell me we have another member who uses their Accord to blare Hip-Hop through the city.

That's me...

Chunkylover53 and Harvey like this.
  20. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've just taken a Sony head unit it out of mine, since its pretty pants to be honest, so I put the Alpine one in from my Astra, now its better, but the aeriel still doesnt work, so tracing that fault.