Introductions Hello, from Derby

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ramscot, Friday 10th May, 2013.

1. ramscot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi I have recently become the owner of this Accord 2,0 i-VTEC. It is a fine car, 54000 miles, 17" alloys, part leather seats, refined, quiet and a pleasure to drive. In my first few weeks I've had 30mpg in a mainly urban cycle and this matches my previous vehicle a Mondeo 1.8 LX. It has had one previous owner in Scotland and, ironically, has been brought south to be bought by a Scot. Must have been meant. I have had an aux lead put in and can now enjoy the combined pleasures of the car and my iPod. I do have one niggle though. At speeds below ~20mph there is a rotational noise from the offside lower front on left lock or when creeping straight ahead. There is no discernible noise on right lock and the noise disappears above 20mph. The car goes where you point it so no steering issues. I read on an American website that the Accord can have a noisy PAS pump. Do any experienced Accord owners have any suggestions as to what this might be? View attachment 9329

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    hey Ramscot,

let me apologies for NO one bothering to say a Hi .. moving along the rotation sound could be a break pad binding at a low speed you may want the brakes striped cleaned and lubed.

There are a few DIY guide for brakes please have a look and if you get stuck please drop me a PM I will respond to you since one can be bothered to respond to you since May!! :Rant:

3. ramscot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ichiban

Thank you for the welcome - I'd assumed that I had inadvertently offended or was just plain boring. I fixed my issue and it was a slow deflation of the tyre. I have to admit to not being familiar to low profile tyres and it took a while for it to sink in. I think the continued great handling of the car obscured the issue also. The root cause was corrosion on the inner rim of the alloy wheel, a seeing to with a wire brush sorted it. I have just had the car serviced and had new pads on the front as there was a bit of binding. The car is going great, 29 MPG average just trundling around Derby with a few runs up the A52 to Nottingham. Thanks again.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Ramscot, welcome to the forum. Glad to hear you got the issue sorted out. Not sure how your original post got missed, we're normally pretty quick to respond but it seems a couple have got past us recently

5. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    hi mate im also live in derby i drive a blue 8th Generation sports tourer

6. ramscot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Adamk, thanks for the message which I picked up on Thursday. I don't go on to the computer much during the week, have enough of that at work. How's the car going? I'm pleased with mine - it's my first Honda. Wasn't particularly looking for one but at the price and condition it was too good to pass up.

7. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    I think its great wish it had more power keep comparing it to my Ibiza love the drive of it etc don't like the fuel costs tho as it's not the best really.its my first Honda aswel wanted something bigger for putting my bikes in but also now iv got twins on way it works out better for that aswel lol.

8. ramscot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi - know what you mean about the power, between 2nd & 3rd it seems very sluggish, but 4th & 5th it boots. Had a Civic as a hire car for a day down to Farnborough a few years ago and it was pretty much the same. Fuel costs for me at the moment are no more than my Mondeo which was a 1.8. I'm off to Glasgow tomorrow which will be my first long journey so it'll be interesting to see the MPG. The Mondeo was typically between 38-42 depending on load, conditions etc . Good luck with the twins, reckon your bikes might gather dust for a bit! When are they due?

9. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    How did the trip go what MPG did you manage I'm of to York tomorrow il see what it gets up to iv seen top 40s which I don't think is great for a diesel tbf.i went and had a look at some cars the other day for my girlfriend and had a quick look for my self aswel but I can't bring my self to selling the honda lol.
    you wouldn't be the first person to say that about my biking lol I ride to work so il always get to ride one of them at least lol il leave the other one in the loft for a bit lol

the boys are due Jan 26th but bein twins they can come earlier so we got a new date of december 14th

10. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Top 40s looks good to me - I get mid 40s with the cruise set at 70 on motorways, but 52 if I set it between 60 & 65 (with the odd blast to clear the trucks!)
    Same engine, bigger body.

11. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    I got back this afternoon managed 39.8mpg not the best tbf.your says its a I-CDTI mines the I-DTEC

12. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    That is disappointing, I did 387 miles yesterday on motorways and trunk roads and got 45 MPG, both on the computer and on a full tank to full tank consumption of 38.1 litres. My next car will probably be a C-RV with a 2.2 Dtec (when they are old enough to come into my price range:lol:) and I was hoping it would be MORE efficient!

How many miles has your car done? Mine only had 24k on it at 6 yrs old when I bought it and has become better and better as I have piled on the miles (with a full fluid change when I got it, the correct grade of oil and changes every 6k) and now has 39k after a year with me.

What speeds did you maintain? I find that even as little as 5mph on the cruise setting makes a big difference to economy.

Have a look at this thread on here - 2010 Accord 2.2 I-DTEC Type-S Poor Fuel Consumption?

Last edited: Sunday 3rd Nov, 2013
  13. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    It's just rolled over 50k I got it on 40k but it does feel better as the miles clock up.i service mine every 5k and do a full service every 10k.
    speed wise it was 70-80 I stick to speed limits most the time as my girlfriend is a few weeks from having baby's but when I'm on my own I give it a bit of a boot

14. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Yep, that'll do it! At 70-80 mine drinks the stuff, and if I use all that lovverly torque and play racing games with unsuspecting German must-have motors it gets really bad. Worth it for the look on their faces when my big blue bus blows them into the weeds though:Devil:

DeviateDefiant and Ichiban like this.
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Reminds of a mad hippy bus blowing away german curd off the street. :Hey:

16. ramscot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just picked this up so sorry for being late re trip to York. On the straight run to Glasgow I achieved 40mpg with the cruise set ~ 78. On the run back it was 36mpg. I think I was going faster on the run back. My 16 year old daughter decided to have a party despite the explicit instruction not to and you can guess the result. I was on the M74 by 10pm having just driven back from Dundee and in Derby by 3.15am. Hope your twins are safely delivered and your partner is well. The babies will have the curse of the December baby 'this present is for your birthday and Christmas'.

I've just come on the site today to look for advice about tyres. My front offside is just above 1.6mm so need to sort it.

A Happy New Year to you & family.