Introductions Hello from Wales

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by mintminty59, Wednesday 31st Oct, 2012.

1. mintminty59 New Member Getting Started

Massive hello to all fellow Honda owners.

I recently decided the day had come where my trust Audi A4 1.8T quattro had to go on 165K and Mr Sensible finally won in my mind. (70 mile drive to work and back each day played a part) and I bought a Honda Accord Tourer CDTI (dunno what made me get the estate tho) on 116K for £4,500 with a FULL honda History on the DOT. The car was owned my Matsushita electronics before me and they had a no expense spared attitude to looking after it.

First impressions are, mixed really , im finding it like driving a boat to be honest, where the Audi was refined and glued to the road my Honda is all over the place. I also now have a much bigger left Arm by having to constantly fight with the steering pulling to the left. If I let the wheel go it will do all 3 lanes on the motorway and into a hedge without fail (happened once almost) I have had the usuall things checked aligned etc and well sometimes it doesnt do it , other times I feel like im having an arm rest with arnie.

Also its like driving a tractor, noisey is not the word. It rattles like hell in the morning for the first 15 miles or so, it gets better but its still really audiable. But saying that on the motorway in 6th all I can hear is road and wind noise. I don't know its because its drowning it out, or it just prefers it I dunno but this might be a deal breaker for me should I wish to trade this one in for a newer model later on.

My Clutch bites really low down, its either on or off there is very little inbetween, so keeping it bitten on a hill or start from traffic lights can be a nightmare as I lunge forward and look a bit of a muppet.

Dunno if anyone else has this issue, but my cluth peddle squicks if thats the right word for it, like plastic stretching sound hard to explain but you know if you have same sound.

My sat Nav TMC has a mind of its own. Sometimes green mostly red (but its never alerted me of trouble ahead) testiment of that was other day 1.5 Hours on the M4 Near swansea.

Now fuel economy is so so, display says 50 MPG but I doubt im getting that. I get around 520 Miles to a tank of about £85 and I don't really Boot it. (Audi was £65 to fill and did about 350) so I think the fuel costs are about the same being as Diesel is 9p a litre more.

However now the good bits :Smile: - if you put all that aside, im not fighting to keep in a straight line, and you ignore feeling your on a ship on the adlantic its actually a really simple car to drive. Stick the cruise on and away she goes. Thats one of the big plus points for me I rekon. And ohh boy she pulls like a train if you give it the beans in 4th and 5th thats a nice bit of torque she chucks out (and it seems to like it) thats a little boy grin statement hehe. You catch people by supprise sometimes but you do leave them in a cloud of smoke litterally tho haha.

I am hoping this car will take me to over 160K which will be when I decide to get another audi TDI or an accord D-Tec. Im hoping nothing badly is going to go wrong but the noisey rattling is worrying me slightly.

SO , So far thats been my experiance, its started 1st time without fail in the morning and she plods along the M4 nicely all the way to work so what more can you ask for really.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hello and welcome bud, had a proper laugh at the post. bud looks like you have too many issues on the car and Audi withdrawal symptoms too.

You need to get the car looked at reputable Honda garage and take it from there . The points you have covered are discussed further just search for them and if you need any info just ask.

3. mintminty59 New Member Getting Started

Thanks for your nice message :Smile: I have one of those sense of humours :Wink: Actually I do like the Honda , its not an audi of course but belive me that had its fair share of issues to. Thing is Honda want a fortune to even look at the car, you know its bad news comming when the guy scratches his head, taps into the computer, and says its gonna be this per hour for diagnostics, ohh and your service is due soon and that be £280 sir. My reply is why thank you kind garage man, I know lets setup a Tab where you can have an open ended final ballance and you crack on :Smile: they seem to think I have a bottomless pit for a bank account. I won't go into dealers etc as this is not the place :Smile: but lets just say they think for some reason unkown to me im rich.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If you were closer to be I would have looked it for you, but I won't give a lot of beans to this car until you are sure the timing chain is not about to snap, manifold and the usual suspects.

5. mintminty59 New Member Getting Started

Maybe I am being a bit sensative to the noise im not sure. I will do my best to do a video of it in the morning and upload to youtube so you can take a listen. it could be normal for all I know

Ichiban likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

That will be great bud, but don't take it with a camera phone they have a habit of exaggerating the sound and make it really echo'y

7. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Hey bud,

Welcome..

Listen to CJ he knows his Honda's...

I have a saloon diesel and to be honest costs me no more to service at Honda than taking it to the guy in the village. Plus Honda tend to know the issues with our motors a lot better. Regular oil changes is my advice for the future, easy to do and costs are very reasonable if you can use a jack and a spanner or socket.

The Accord is a cracking car, if you like boats an A6 or a Passat would be just fine.

I had Audis and VW for about twenty odd years (including some of the more exotic models) and diesels for longer than I can remember now. The VAG crop just got more and more unreliable and are a standing joke now. I would not advise looking at the current crop of TDis any time soon.

Who is your local Honda dealer? give them a call and ask if they will have a listen to her and see what they make of it. The upload would be good to as there are many seasoned vet on the site who can lend you their ears.

Good luck pal..
    :Thumbup:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds