General Hello looking to buy a CR-V would appreciate advice!

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by strath44, Friday 20th Nov, 2015.

1. strath44 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Strath44 Stirling
    Hello folks, apologies that this is my first post but Iam looking for help buying a CR-V.

We are selling our car and have had very little interest apart from someone who wants to trade in a CR-V which my wife wants as her next car as it happens anyway.

It has done 90k miles and has service history up to 76k miles 2 years ago, I would say it has be neglected for the last 2 years and the oil looks pretty murky!

The thing that concerns me about the car are the fuel pipes were replaced (I don't know why I assume rust) and underneath at the rear axel seems quite rusty, is this normal for this vehicle to have the fuel pipe issue?

I am mechanically minded and can do most jobs so if it needs work I don't mind just worried about rot!

Also anything else worth double checking?

Many thanks!

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Welcome to HondaKarma @strath44 :welcome:

We need some more information - what year is the CR-V, and is it a petrol or a diesel for a start.

The I-CTDI diesel engine can cause issues if not maintained correctly - oil changes must bang on schedule (or even more frequent than the schedule suggests), and with the right grade of oil.

3. strath44 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Strath44 Stirling
    Sorry it is the diesel I-CTDI

I have tried to research but a few of the initial forums I tried were in the U.S.

What's the knock on effect of the poor oil servicing with this car? (I realise with most cars things such as turbo and increased engine wear are problems) from your comment I take it there are know issues!

I would normally stick to schedule or if I'm doing the oil change aim for 7k miles or a year which ever comes first!

Thanks!
    - - - Updated - - -
    It is a 2007

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

This is in the Accord section of the forum, but the I-CTDI engine issues should be the same. Have a look through the 'common faults' section.

http://hondakarma.com/threads/faq-faults-wealth-of-information-inside.4643/live

@Zebster - any advice to add?
    - - - Updated - - -
    This is in the Accord section of the forum, but the I-CTDI engine issues should be the same. Have a look through the 'common faults' section.

http://hondakarma.com/threads/faq-faults-wealth-of-information-inside.4643/live

@Zebster - any advice to add?

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    No, that link you've given provides useful advice.

Leaking or corroded fuel pipes also seem to be an issue on Civics. I don't know why.

The oil in these engines gets absolutely filthy surprisingly quickly! When I bought my Accord it had done less than 100 miles since the service and the oil was black... I assumed the oil change part of the service (non-Honda) had been skipped, so changed the oil myself. It then looked filthy again very soon.