Introductions Hello. Need some advice please.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by AitkenFM, Wednesday 11th Jan, 2012.

1. AitkenFM New Member Getting Started

I have an Acoord Sport 1.8 VTEC (2001 plate). Its a fantastic car and has been outstanding value and very reliable. However over the last week due (I think) to very damp conditions I have experienced a problem when trying to start the engine. It turns over via the starter motor and the battery is only a year old so no problem there. But it doesn't start. It's as if there isn't any fuel getting through, but there is plenty in the tank. With some perserverence it has started and does so by 'catching' and then taking a few seconds with my foot on the gas pedal to kick into life. Would I be correct in saying that this may be an ignition fault and paossibly either sprk plugs or the fuel ingection? As I say it starts without a problem in dry conditions and has only occurred after a night of rainy damp conditions.Any advice welcome.ThanksAitkenFM

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi and welcome.

Sometimes if damp gets in the distributor this can cause bad contacts and affect the spark to the engine...there may be a small crack in the distributor body or a defective rubber seal between the cap and the base. If it only happens when it's damp this is a good indication. Replacing the distributor cap is easy and they are only about £20 or £30 for a Honda one I think.

That's just my opinion though...the only way to be sure is to get someone who knows what they're doing to actually check the car.

Good luck with sorting out the problem, and let us know how it turns out.

3. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello and Welcome

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    could be many reasons for a non start like your own. you have good batery voltage so run through every thing else. fuel, spark, air. i suspect you have a spark problem but i am afraid i have replaced an ECU before now due to a non start like you describe on an accord with your engine. you need to start ruling things out buddy. and welcome to the site, please feel free to introduce your self. were a friendly bunch

5. AitkenFM New Member Getting Started

#Hi and many thanks for the advice. I'll take it to my local Honda dealer and get them to look at it. I just wanted to anticipate how much it would cost so thanks for putting my mind at rest!. Many thanks again.

6. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to AOC!

What mileage is the car on and when was it last serviced (thinking fuel filter restriction or spark plugs/leads)

7. Azzy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had this on my 2L 6th Generation, AA chap was over trying to get it to work, I asked if I should be able to see sparks from the dizzy cap...

oh & Hi & good luck

8. Mr CL7 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Faz Kent
    Welcome along

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi AitkenFM

Please do let us know what happened on this you got some really good advise from members here it would be nice to get some feedback on what happened in fixing your car.

10. AitkenFM New Member Getting Started

Hi,Thanks to all for there advice. Sorry for slow reply but juts completed work yesterday. new distributor cap and new spark plugs fitted to hopefully all is good now. It was a cold aand wet morning in Glasgow today but she started first time. Many thanks for your help. This is a great site!!Paul.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Excellent good to hear your car is back to normal.:cool:

12. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Great result.

Thanks for letting us know, and see you around the site!

13. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    brill.....and i bet it didnt cost the earth either. great result