Introductions Hello , need some help please

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by deejay4546, Saturday 26th Dec, 2015.

1. deejay4546 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom DeeJay birmingham
    Hi am a big honda fan , i have had 3 rover coupe tomcat , honda engine models , i have had 4 Civics , and this is my second accord ,i always had honda cars , for the last 12 years , i have never had any problems with them , my accord has now started to play up a bit , just a few days ago started to overheat , now can't figure out the problem , the fan does not come on when the temp rises past half mark , and i have tested the fan with a jumper and it does work just not coming on when the car heats up , and there is no leaks , and 1st thing i did was replace the fan switch , hasnt made a difference , i checked the relay and all fuses everything electrical is fine , hope someone can help me out , i have bought a thermostat i will try and fit it on tommorow ,i have attached an image on my engine bay if anyone wants to have a look , cheers

Attached Files:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Oil leaks on the dizzy would suggest overheating and seals perishing. the thermostat will one possibility or a clogged radiator core.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If you take the fan switch connector off and bridge the two pins together does the fan come on then ?

4. deejay4546 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yes the fan does come on , when i bridge the two pins together ,

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's odd then that it doesn't on automatically. Maybe new switch is also faulty ?

Did you get round to changing the thermostat ? Has it made any difference ?

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

deejay4546 likes this.
  7. deejay4546 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yes i was thinking the new fan switch may also be faulty , and i havent changed the thermostat i spoke to my mechanic friend he says its definitely not the thermostat when he checked it last one of the hoses was cold and one hot, so he told me to take it down to him tomorrow so he can test the switches ,
    - - - Updated - - -
    one thing i should mention is i hear a faint beep from the engine bay , when the car is running when you open the bonnet ,

8. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

What makes you think the car is overheating as you say there are no leaks and the gauge is only half way?
    If the car has been running for a while and is up to operating temp the top and bottom hoses should be hot indicating the system is cycling normally if the bottom hose is cool or cold then the thermostat is not regulating the coolant..
    - - - Updated - - -
    Forgot to welcome you to the club ,sorry. welcome.

deejay4546 likes this.
  9. deejay4546 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you , and does overheat it goes past the half mark shooting up , but i usually stop the engine before it gets too hot , the smaller hose that goes to the thermostat is the one that stays cold and the top hose the bigger one usually gets hot ,although my mechanic has told me the thermostat is fine , he did his checks , either way i will get the thermostat changed tomorrow just to get that off my list of suspects .
    - - - Updated - - -
    is there anyway to test the fan switch ?

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

From that it would sound like thermostat is at fault.

You can do a resistance check on it as engine warms up, the resistance should go down. With engine up to temp the resistance should be close to 0 ohms.

deejay4546 likes this.
  11. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

What you are looking for is very hot at the top of the rad and hot at the bottom of the rad although cooler than the top, gen on most cars you have trouble holding onto the top hose but you can normally hold the bottom hose , this proves the coolant is circulating and the rad is doing its job,if this is not the case something is blocking the circulation 90 percent the thermostat.
    Some fan switches work on a open circuit ,ie when you pull the connector off the fan will run,some work on a closed circuit ie the switch connects the circuit at a specific temperature.
    The sensor for the gauge and the fan can be separate so don't be fooled ,maybe the gauge sensor is playing up and giving a false gauge reading.
    You need to correctly assetain if it is actually overheating before you delve to deep.

Nels and SpeedyGee like this.
  12. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,
    Any update on this one chap,
    Cheers.

13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

HELLO:Bye:and:welcome:to:gohonda:KARMA

14. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    sooty, cannot help with your questions but welcome to the forum :Smile:

15. deejay4546 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

sorry no update yet , havent been unable to do anything due to the heavy raining , will update once i get a chance to do anything,

16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:welcome:to HK @deejay4546
    Keep us posted about how you get on.

deejay4546 likes this.
  17. deejay4546 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

its been raining so badly , its been impossible to do anything at the moment , but i hope this weekend it gets better then i can quickly do the thermostat change and see if that solves it ,

18. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Hello and welcome.

I have had in the past a car overheat because the radiator cap was not sealing properly, this means that the boiling point is lower (as system in not pressurised correctly) which causes the car to over heat. Cheap and easy fix if it's that and cheap try if not.

deejay4546 and MickyB like this.
  19. deejay4546 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

YES I WILL TRY THAT DEFINITELY AFTER THE THERMOSTAT CHANGE THANK YOU

20. deejay4546 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

so today i finally got the chance to get under the hood again , i was about to start replacing the thermostat , i decided to check the antifreeze in the car , and i was shocked to see it was all gone and i only filled it up a week ago , at my mates garage , because it wasnt leaking immediately we crossed that off the list , so now its come to light there is a leak , so i thought ill deal with that first , and if that sorts it , it should , then i won't need to replace the thermostat , or maybe i will because i bought it already , i want to ask for some advice , shall i use those coolant sealers , like k seal? are they any good , from my guess it most likely leaking from the heater matrix , or the core , i don't think it leaks from the water pump , any help and advice will be appreciated ,