Introductions Hello To All and Some LPG Conversion Questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jd1959, Monday 1st Sep, 2014.

1. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Hello, avid Honda fan started with a 1985 Accord and as the family grew several others up to my current 2004 Mobilio (ugly as sin but fantastic to drive). I currently thinking of changing to a 3rd Generation Stepwagon (K20A), but with fuel prices here was considering putting LPG on it. In rooting online I ran across SpeedyGee and his conversions. As there seem to be a few folks here knowledgeable on LPG on Honda I was hoping to get a few thoughts as to the kits/workmanship available to me here. Some of the horror pictures posted certainly affirm my need for more research. I'm not sure if I can/should link to the installers website to get a more knowledgeable opinion of the work but happy to either in PM or here if allowed. Where I'm situated there is only one real choice with installers without traveling good distances, although I'm frequently by three or four filling stations. Any way the kits offered are (flash lube as well)

Conversion kit specification
    1. ECU - AGC Zenit PRO OBD.
    2. Evaporators - Silver or Gold.
    3. Injectors - Hana H2001.
    4. Tunning - Adapts to your style of driving and quality of LPG in the tank. This means improved fuel economy, no warning lights and no periodical recalibration required.
    5. LPG tank - donut shape tank in the spare wheel well.
    6. Warranty - 2 years unlimited mileage warrant
    Or
    Conversion kit specification:

1. ECU - Agis CAN/OBD.
    2. Evaporators - Silver, Gold, Palacar.
    3. Injectors - Agis or Hana (€100-€200 surcharge for Hana injectors).
    4. Tunning - Adapts to your style of driving and quality of LPG in the tank. This means improved fuel economy, no warning lights and no periodical recalibration required.
    5. LPG tank - donut shape tank in the spare wheel well.
    6. Warranty - 2 years unlimited mileage warranty.
    Thanks for reading and would love any thoughts you all might have.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Zack, welcome to Honda Karma :Hey:

I'll post a detail reply later on today, I'm at work at the moment.

No worries on mentioning installers near you, post away.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to the club Zack, sounds like you've had quite the Honda pedigree over time.

I have little knowledge on LPG, but Speedy will get you sorted no doubt.

Get your Mobilio added into the club garage, people like seeing the rarer models :Smile:

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK Zack. :welcome:

Great to have some one with a Mobillio. Looking forward to seeing some photographs of her.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Zenit PRO is an advanced ECU with lots and lots of features but for most applications, those advanced features aren't used. Also I don't think many installers would know how to use the advanced features anyway.

Both ECUs have auto adaption but auto adaption is something that I am not a great fan of. An installer should be able to map a car such that the map created on LPG ECU takes care of all circumstances and the original ECU is left to run as it was designed to.
    The LPG ECU map should be enough to keep the fuel trim in line with petrol fuel trims. Also I think the Agis ECU actually needs an additional module to read OBD trims without it, it can't do auto adaption anyway.

So from an ECU point of view both are fine. Let the installer choose which one they are more comfortable working with. Personally I would ask for auto adaption to be switched off and a good LPG Map created instead.

Hana Injectors are good (can be noisey though). Agis injectors are fine, I've Agis injectors in the past and not had any problems although they aren't that widely used.

Palacar, that's a budget reducer, I wouldn't use that, it;s also not widely used.

Silver and Gold reducers, what it the make of these ? You can get KME Silver and KME Gold reducers, these are very good but the Gold one has two outputs not one.
    Can't think of any other reducers that would be referred to as Silver or Gold.

As you say a good quality flashlube system is a must ! (Not a cheapo £10 bottle flashlube !!!)

Must importantly, above all else though, you need to pick a good installer. Check their current installs, see if you can speak to their customers and get their opinions. Ask about post installation issues and how well the service was post installation.

Drop the website links into this thread and I'll see if they have example installation pictures up.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

6. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Thanks for the warm welcome and reply, I will get some photos up of the Mobilio when I get it cleaned up a bit, 4 chaps under 8 tend to leave it in a state most of the time. You definitely get some strange looks from other drivers but fun to drive.

Basic info on it for anyone interested FWD 1.5l L15A, SWRA CVT 7speed button shift option, power sliding doors, 7 seats at 6'3" I managed to fit in the back row (and a boot big enough for a buggy), averaging 14.5 km/l (real fuel economy I'm a bit heavy footed), electric power steering, and an 11m full circle turning radius, very handy for mid-evil towns, very much a tall long wheel base Jazz.

In terms of lpg the folks at VV-Tech LPG Limited Clonmel, Co. Tipperary in particular are the installers I was looking at. (SpeedyGee Just saw your last reply while putting this up thanks for the info.)

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

@jd1959, I've changed the thread title so it's easier to see what the thread contains.

8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello and :welcome: to the club Zack

9. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello Zack welcome to HK! :welcome:

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Have you decided on an installer yet Zack ?

11. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Yes the only one near me is the folks at VV-Tech LPG Limited . If you have a chance to look at the gallery and let us know what you think of the work it would be much appreciated.

Sorry I didn't get to the computer yesterday, I was trying to sort out different transport for the Mrs. The Civic she drives is on its last legs and not worth fixing to pass the Nct test here. (shocks, rear bushings, ABS accumulator, exhaust leaks) the list goes on but the car was an exercise in bangernomics anyway so no great loss. If anyone here in the southeast of Ireland is looking for a gen 5 Civic parts car let me know.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've had a look at their website and they seem to be of "OK" standard. They have converted a wide range of cars but I have spotted a few small areas that could be improved upon

Tell them you want
    • a proper tidy install
    • that you don't want you injectors to be installed "flat, you want some angle on them so the that heavy ends don't build up
    • that you want the injector hoses to have a short as practically possible
    • you want the trunking on all the wiring in the engine bay and for it to install secure and tidy
    I think if you tell them the above, they will recognise that they need to do a thorough job.

Nels likes this.
  13. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Sounds like a plan then once I have the car in hand (it'll be a few months from Japan that's a whole other story) I'll take it over to them and let em know what I want. They seemed very willing to listen and chat when I stopped in a few weeks ago.

Thanks for you help and feedback.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Your welcome @jd1959

Please do keep us update on any developments.

15. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Welcome, good luck with getting your new motor converted.
    I have been looking for an HR-V or CR-V with LPG already fitted for a while, with no success (has to be manual box), but there's nothing on Autotrader within reasonable distance (100 miles)). The nearest seems to be Subaru Outback or Forester and they don't hang about for long (and many are autos)...