Introductions hello was browsing then got stopped so thought i better join.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by david garrington, Saturday 8th Nov, 2014.

1. david garrington Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

dave uk
    i don't have honda yet unless count wifes Type-R EP3 ,i,m intending to buy myself a honda Accord Tourer I-CTDI ex very shortly [been lurking and learning lots of info bout them in last few months]on various forums i,m after the faclift variety from 56-58 plate seen a few and got my eyes on one imparticular at mo ,going to be a HH customer when i have it for maint /parts etc as they only just over the hill from me .reason i decided on honda is don't currently own a car drive a rental last car i had was a saab 9-5 estate loved that car but it had to go.been v impressed with wifes Civic [we treat it really bad ,never service it not often anyway and its never missed a beat even still got the origional exhaust on it]always admired the 7th Generation Accord Tourer with the interior being similar to the saab.wish me luck hopefully i,ll find a good one eventually.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome the HK David. :welcome:
    It really is better to keep up with the services etc on your wife's Civic.
    With the I-CTDI, regular oil changes are essential. HH will look after you, but please don't delay or miss the scheduled service work. The consequences will be very costly.

John Dickson and FirstHonda like this.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Welcome to HondaKarma.

@Nels is quite right, from what I've read on here, neglect an I-CTDI at your peril!

4. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to HK David :welcome:

Hope you find a nice Tourer soon. :goodluck:

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    :welcome: to Honda Karma David

As a CTDi owner, the old mantra certainly rings true - "look after your car and she will look after you".

Still lovely cars, economical and enough poke to move you along should you feel the need to do so.

Look forward to seeing some pictures of your car when you get her.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  7. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
  8. FarHanSolo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Farhan Milton Keynes
    Welcome to the folk that cherish their Hondas. I hope that Ex Tourer on your shopping list sees some TLC.

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to the club David, hope you find what you're looking for.

PS: Don't go telling people around these parts you've been abusing Hondas, they'll have your head :Laughing:

10. david garrington Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

dave uk
    hi to all thanks for all the warm welcomes and advice ,i don't intend to neglect my honda when i get it i didnt mean to give the impression we neglect our Civic it gets what it needs and is looked after but being my wifes daily ride i have to pick my moments to service it . my saab 95 was serviced and treated with lots of TLC when i had it and the I-CTDI will be the same i,m hoping to go shopping for it very soon,know all the probs they suffer from so not going with one eye closed ,and will be after a approved honda from a main dealer so it,ll have a 12 month warranty.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

There are a few available from main dealers. Knock them down a bit though. I'm sure there are deals to be made.

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I was only kidding David, I'm sure you don't :Friends:

One thing worth mentioning that's crucial to the health and longevity of any I-CDTI engine, regular oil changes around 6,000 miles. There's a known issue that's a lot worse on the Pre-Facelift (<2006) where excessive soot deposits from dirty oil cause the eventual fail of the timing chain, there was a warranty extension just for this very issue, a full service history with regular changes is vital. More info here.

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@david garrington, the oil changes are vital on the I-CTDI. I've got a PFL 7th Generation, have always changed the oil frequently and to the spec in the handbook. She's nearly 11 years old now, and running perfectly. If you can't get one with a FSH, walk away.

14. david garrington Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

dave uk
    hi nels whats a PFL ? newbie ignorance ,i see your point about regular oil cx,s and others my old saab was afflicted much the same way for differing reasons most caused by poor manufacturing /design of engines and wrong oil specced at time of model launch,i did 6000 oil cx on that it was at 178k when i sold on second turbo but origional chain.loving the site lots of useful info and articles.

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@david garrington, every 6000 should be fine. PFL = Pre Face Lift. If you see any underlined abbreviations, hover over them with your mouse and the full version is revealed. They sometimes appear by accident, if the word you type corresponds to a standard abbreviation.
    My blue Accord is at the bottom of all my post.. The Black Accord on @Nighthawk's posts (see above) is a FL model and has an improved engine amongst other things.

16. david garrington Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

dave uk
    and what a fine looking motor it is too just had a peep at it v/nice looks well cared for credit to you.shh little secret that one over there to the left mabye soon fingers crossed

Nels likes this.
  17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Thank you for the nice words. If I had more time, I would do more, but that's life.
    :fingerscrossed: for you David.

Nighthawk likes this.
  18. david garrington Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

dave uk
    can sombody answer a question i have is the sat nav standard kit on the ex tourer 7th Generation or was it opt extra ,seen a 2.0 petrol tourer advertised as an ex but no satnav and full leather int?

19. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Is this a FL model?
    IIRC, early FL Ex could have either black or ivory leather as standard, but this changed to just black later on.
    Sat Nav and HFT were optional extras. Only the 2.4 Ex with ADAS had this as standard.
    Happy to be corrected if anyone has a better memory.

20. david garrington Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

dave uk
    hello nels thanks for the answer thought for a minute i was seeing a sport that hd had a leather int transplanted.that clears that up then and if it got no sat nav its off my list ,shame though only a 50k car .