Introductions Hello.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by sunbeem, Tuesday 25th Mar, 2014.

1. sunbeem Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've just bought my first Honda car, an '06 Accord, which is proving a real delight. I'm primarily a motorcyclist, with a '78 BMW R100 RS, so my online name Sunbeem reflects the "Beemer" within, rather than any inability to spell.
    I've spent many years designing and fabricating ironwork for old buildings - everything from the gate to the weather-vane - and the part of the country I call home is now dotted with examples of my work. I found that I learn more from my mistakes than my successes, and some of my inadequacies are set in stone ...

Things have moved on a bit since my old Berlingo was built, fine old bus that it was it had few of the refinements with which I now fiddle in bemused fascination. Sat-Nav! Motorised seats! More lights than Nasa ... I've not found the fuse-box yet, which is odd since it must be the size of a small suitcase.
    My first triumph was (sans specs) to insert the Sat-Nav disc into the gap immediately above the case, thus losing it to the inner recesses of my new purchase. Not realising my error, and finding the on-screen advice less than encyclopedic, I stumbled upon this forum, and learned of the butter-knife approach to cleaning the internals. When that failed, I was reduced to some more serious archaeology, delving deeply into the central console until the recalcitrant disc was spotted and relocated in it's proper place.

No doubt other woes will befall me, the imagination of the cosmos never fails to surprise me in this regard, and I'll be hoping for information and advice to keep the show on the road.

The first 300 miles, with some trailer pulling, and enthusiastic "checking the turbo" saw 48 MPG, which I'm well pleased with. I'll see how frugal I can bear to be for the next 300.

Sunbeem.

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello and welcome to HK Sunbeem.
    Share some pics of your Accord.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to HondaKarma, Sunbeam. Glad you're enjoying the Accord and finding HondaKarma useful.
    As well was pics of your car, would you be so kind to share some of your ironwork masterpieces, would love to see some creative metal work :Smile:

4. sunbeem Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No pics of the car yet, here are some bits of door furniture made for an Elizabethan Great Hall - the long latch is a copy of one in a local church, and resembles an old musket.
    Photo03_3.
    Foyer+010.

This gate, in Kirkby Lonsdale, rises on a wheel and ramp, and self-closes.

ag+011.

gates+006.

If you can pick a gate up and throw it over the hedge, then that's the best thing to do with it.

Sunbeem.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Superb stuff Sunbeam, true craftsmanship.

Primarycare likes this.
  6. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Now that's what I call skill!!
    Superb work how long did it take to do that? I should have listened to my teachers when they said learn a trade.

Very impressed bud

7. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to HK Sunbeem.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  9. sunbeem Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Everything always took too long Primarycare, my designs always evolved (after the price was agreed) in spite of me, or any notion of financial sense. As Seasick Steve said, "Started out with nothin' --still got most of it left,"
    If I'd any sense I'd play triangle in a Reggae Band - you just stand there and ting.

Sunbeem.

10. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    On reggae I can live with so long as book Marley love the guy, but this is seriously good stiff

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to HK @sunbeem, glad your finding joy in the new Accord and making use of all the information from the club.

Your metal work looks truly fantastic, artisan work.

12. sunbeem Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that, I never regretted making the decision to do the best, rather than the most lucrative work I could -- the way to riches is to employ lots of people and exploit their labour, but I preferred the bench to the desk.
    Ironwork design is surprisingly mysterious -- it's all about proportion, and comes out of what's sometimes known as "Sacred Design" which is found in churches and cathedrals. Based on the "Golden Mean" and the "Fibonacci Series" it follows precepts which are ancient yet little understood.
    When the mathematics which are expressed in the arrangement of a Sunflower's seeds are used as a basis for a piece of ironwork, then the smith has "God" (whatever that is) on his side, and the thing will look right and please the eye.
    Fans of QI will perhaps have noticed the design featured in the programme, which is a geometrical development of a spiral from Fibonacci numbers - and if you want your spirals to sell, that's the secret!
    This is the sort of thing which has persuaded me that we constantly under-rate our predecessors and their understanding of the world -- anyone wanting indications of that would do well to google "Egyptian stone vases" to see ancient artifacts which we currently are quite incapable of making ...

Sunbeem.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  13. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi sunbeem
    That old bm is a blast from the past. I have just given up motorcycling after 40 yrs and all my bikes have now been sold. Did a last trip throughout july in northern spain and enjoyed it but alas no longer.
    Enjoy your honda.

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I really like the fact that someone so versed in all of this has stumbled onto the board.

I have a penchant for researching the ancient symbology or as you put it, "Sacred Design", the Fibonacci sequence, the star of David, the eye of Horus and all the rest. I'd assume you are familiar with the work of Nassim Haramein?

There's a message portrayed through the symbology found in ancient architecture which spanned the entire globe, yet we still today unable to agree on an interpretation of it all. What interests me most is that many ancient civilizations who were supposedly unrelated and had no contact where able to come up with such similar designs, some of which we'd struggle to replicate even today:

156914_266333843490120_821777939_n.

talc.site88.net 2014-3-26 9 47 7.

555899_459576097400536_1255250846_n.

As a designer I'm always playing attention to the "golden ratio" and "rule of thirds", it's everywhere in nature.

fibonacci spiral.

First thing that comes to mind is the Mitchell-Hedges crystal skull:

6a00d83452a77469e200e5527b71ec8833-320pi.

Sorry about all the images, it's a topic which I've dedicated a lot of time to over the years.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

16. sunbeem Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Glad we share a similar wavelength Deviate Defiant, I'll check out Nassim Haramein, and that's a splendid compilation of images, showing striking similarities -- we could add the Bosnian Pyramid to the list, and that is 12,000 years old and contains a chamber where the concentration of positive ions is quite staggering. So many mysteries in all this architecture, and getting into the philosophical side, I find Fritjof Capra's The Tao of Physics shows many congruences between ancient thought and quantum physics -- I suppose it would be odd if they didn't exist, once the basic acceptance of the sophistication of "primitive" society is established.

I get very interested in the mindset of the ancients, particularly their belief in the sentience of that which we generally regard as inanimate.
    It generates reverence.
    As a result, I indulge in an occasional rant on the theme of Nils Bohr's famous phrase "Science advances one funeral at a time......."
    For example -- We seem to have developed theories which seek to explain most of the things we can't ignore. There is however, much we must close our minds, and eyes to. Evolution, gravity, matter space and time are all "explained" by the application of a theoretical framework. Blatant instances of the inexplicable, such as Stonehenge, Egyptian stone vases, and knowing when someone is staring at the back of your head, must then be ignored by any junior theorist wishing to imitate their seniors, and share their success.

As a result, our unfortunate inability to be honest about our ultimate ignorance has set us astride a model of the universe so obviously flawed that were it a bicycle, its wheels would not reach the ground without a strategically placed Higgs Bosun.

All our theories are the product of our consciousness. That conundrum is where theories are made, and what they are made with, it is also the device which reinterprets them to us, and then allows us to feel secure in the knowledge that we have understood something. But we have not. We have simply been tugging on our shoelaces in a vain attempt to levitate-- and why is this?

Because we don't know what consciousness is -- we don't even have a theory. And all our theories are the work of consciousness. A somewhat circular process I would suggest, to serve as a basis for all "scientific" understanding.

Were we able, as a species, to admit that we know nothing for certain, we would no longer be able to use belief as an excuse for murder. We would hesitate before predicting the outcome of our many interferences with Nature. "Knowing" that we are right, has been at the root of so many of our troubles. We know nothing ; we have a few theories - that's all.
    Doubt is good.

So there we are, rant over, all comments, condemnation, derision and outright damnation welcome.

Hi ricksmith, hope you find something to replace the thrill of two wheels, as you say, the RS is a blast, though all three of us are getting on a bit.

Sunbeem.

Beebopaloobop alam bam booom. Descartes.

17. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi sunbeem
    I can assure you the performance of the 99hp vetec Jazz does not replace the performance of two wheels!!!!

18. sunbeem Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Deviate Defiant, for the reference to Nassim Haramein. His views on quantum theory are very interesting, and I'll be listening to more of his ideas.

I wonder if you would like my current favourite science joke ...?

Heisenberg was driving home from the physicists annual knees-up, slightly the worse for wear, Schroedinger was sitting quietly in the passenger side, wondering if he should pick up some cat food on the way back, and a string theorist slumbered gently on the rear seat.

A police patrol car overtook, brought them to a standstill, and a large tired looking cop approached the driver's window.

"Can you tell me what speed you were doing sir?"

"No officer", said Heisenberg, uncertainly, "But I can tell you my position."

The officer hesitated, it was a polite response, but hardly what he expected, so he walked to the rear of the car and opened the boot, closing it again immediately.

Tapping on the front passenger window, he asked Schroedinger if he was aware of the presence of a dead cat in the boot...
    "Well -- I am NOW!" answered Schroedinger angrily.
    Roused from slumber, a voice from the back seat came to the rescue.
    "It's alright officer, I can explain everything."

Sunbeem.