Introductions Hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by John Dickson, Friday 17th Aug, 2012.

1. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello all,

I'm on my third Accord a 2009 2.0EX saloon and I've loved all of them. It's my second 2009 2.0 EX as my first one was written off in a rather bad accident at 7.5 months and 9,000 miles old. Was gutted! I had no serious injuries though because Honda did their homework and made a very strong safe car. After it happened, I just took my seatbelt off and got out as if I'd just parked up. Wasn't my fault though and because I had a new for old clause on my insurance policy I got a brand new example, exactly the same apart from the colour.

Prior to that I had a 2006 2.0 SE the first of the 7th generation facelift model.

I cannot think of any other car I would rather own than an Accord. Lovely to drive, good to look at, faultless reliability these cars do not go wrong.

I was shocked to hear the rumours that it may be discontinued in the UK but the good news is that I've asked Honda UK themselves and it seems that these seem to be just that; rumours. Here's hoping!

John

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Welcome to AOC John, I have never had a crash in my Accord and touch would not like to experience one .. But your experience just reinforces the Accord safety credentials as the best the class. I see you have always gone for the 2.0 litre engine which are renowened for their reliability and durability , the diesel engine can learn a few home truths.lol

3. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks. Yes even the Police couldn't believe I was out of the car standing at the side of the road unhurt after the crash. Basically I hit a flatbed double cab Transit tipper loaded with road materials who made a right turn into a side road without giving way to me. It was a 60MPH limit and I was doing 50-55 and had about 20m to brake - obviously had no chance so hit it side on at the same speed. Front airbags went off, whole front end demolished and shell was very slightly warped at the B pillars. At least £13,000 worth of damage so insurer wrote it off.

Yes I'm not a diesel fan. I've driven ICTDI in a CR-V and was impressed with the smoothness (for a diesel anyway) and the I-DTEC sounds a lot quieter again but too expensive over the petrols when you don't do massive mileages; which I don't. I love the 2.0 mine's got nearly 37,000 on it and it gets better with miles. It's just loosening off nicely now. A bit of me still wishes I'd gone for the 2.4 because it wasn't much more over the 2.0EX when I got my first 8th Generation.

DSCN3047.

Image0054.

Image0057.

b Image0059.

4. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just shows how much work Honda have put into crash test research AND it's paid off!

Ichiban likes this.
  5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Glad you are OK after that accident,not much left of that Accord.
    I nearly bought 2.0 but went for 2.4 in the end.

6. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks.

I had some minor damage to the muscles in my back but was fine after a couple of months treatment.

Not going to mention the courtesy car I had which my insurer insisted was equivalent to the Accord (large German manufacturer, the model being named after a sport played with a small white ball and clubs; not wanting to mention other car companies products!) but was vastly inferior to the Civic, never mind the Accord :Whistle:

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Their NCAP 5 safety rating is proved in the real world, but the most important thing is you were ok . sad to see an 8th Generation in such a state its hurts. :Sobbing:

If it was BMW I would be lighting a Cuban cigar, anything to get the Bavarian menace of the roads.

John Dickson likes this.
  8. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello and welcome John to AOC, that crash was a messy one.

9. Jon_G Guest

Hello from a diesel owner!

10. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Welcome John, glad you're still here to tell the tale.

John Dickson likes this.
  11. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello. Still can't believe that I could just get out the car. Shows how strong they really are!

Ichiban likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Give your thanks to the guys at Honda Tochegi Crash Test Facility for developing the Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™). Honda engineers developed the most advance crash test dummies to measure real world crashes. Have a look at this clip on our youtube account.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  13. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers, interesting clips. They obviously got their simulations spot on perfect as it definitely works in the real world! It's another massive selling point they seem to be determined not to tell anyone about which is a shame really as they have obviously invested millions.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I agree with you another point to capture in our things which were not reinforced by Honda to thier customers. Please do give your feedback on http://hondakarma.com/threads/2063/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014