Introductions Hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by benny, Friday 20th Jan, 2012.

1. benny Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello Everyone

My name is ben i live in a little village called Padbury, not farm from the town of Buckingham.

I have a 2007 2.2i-CTDi sport, and love it too bits.

It has just had a service at main dealer (Johnsons Honda, Milton Keynes) and they informed me that the brakes discs front and back are below the minimum wear mark and the pads are nearly worn out as well.

Found this site after searching for any advice about changing the brakes myself, so any posts babk would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Ben

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Ben,

Welcome to AOC , there isnt a DIY guide here on the brake replacement yet , I and other members are waiting for the weather to cheer up for the DIY flood gates to open.

I have ATR front caliper on both cars so if when I do my DIY threads it will be totally different to to your car. Cliff the other moderator will be doing his rear brakes on his tourer so that will give you some pointers. That's assuming your is a tourer otherwise we can get Paul to strip his car for the DIY.

enough of my ramblings have you done any brake work before?

BTW like your website very slick :cool: impressed.

3. benny Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the quick reply.

No my car is the saloon.

Have changed brake pads and discs before but that was a '99 nissan primera. I have a vague idea on how to change them but was wondering if the was any quirks to doing it.

A guide would be really good, but i can understand about the weather.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    More or less the same the accord has hex bolts on the front calipers the rear need a windback tool to get the piston wound back into it caliper.

but we can knock something up tomorrow as a step by step guide so you can give it a go.

5. benny Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks that would be brill.

Hope to attempt it next week, so will let you know how succesfull or not.

6. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Benny and welcome

Can't think of much else really...you need the torque settings which we can give you...sometimes the Philips screws need an impact driver to crack them...only other thing is that if the disc gets stuck on the hub there is a hole in the disc to put a bolt in to get it off but of course you need the right size bolt.

Bit more info here from my experiences on the 6th Generation....http://hondakarma.com/threads/81/

Best advice I think anyone could offer is leave it a few weeks if you can get away with it, if you have a driveway job in mind...it's far too cold just at the moment!! :Wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello Benny and welcome

8. benny Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you can post those over that would be good, Will read the thread about your 6th generation.

Have ordered the parts so hopefully weather improves, want them done ASAP as don't know if it will pass MOT if below the minimum wear mark and the expires on 1st March.

Thanks for all the advice, was not expecting so many replies so quickly

9. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yes mid to late FEb would be a bit better

Keep checking in and we'll get those settings posted on this thread.

10. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Rolling road test only possibly??......might be worth checking the MOT requirements online.

11. gedutism Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hello and welcome

12. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    regards MOT your discs would have be either cracked/considdered dangerous to fail. i presume the garage that knocked them decided the lip was excessive but the faces of the discs are not excessively corroded. the problem comes with the pads as it is a lot easyer for an MOT tester to judge. ime 99% certain they need to be judged as a minimum of 1.5mm pad material visable to pass MOT. unless your pads look as if they are actualy fully worn out you may have a little more time on your hands than the garage suggested. without looking at your brakes though nobody can make assumptions on how soon they need replacing or whether they are dangerous or MOT failable.

13. benny Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok thanks beefy thanks for all the detail, not so worried anymore.

They look alright to me and work ok.

14. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello and welcome Benny, the brake linings are easily seen through the wheels, if you want to check your garage's report.

15. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

There you go, CJ has posted this which includes torque settings.

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 21st Mar, 2014
  16. benny Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks very much for those, will print those of and use them as a reference.

17. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome Ben.

Garages have a habit of scarring people into getting things done sooner then needed. I'm not saying this is the case with your garage but glad you've taken the lead and are going to change them yourselves. You'll need a caliper windback tool as yours is a saloon. Halfords sell them if you need one quickly, failing that there are loads on ebay.

One garage I went to in the past told me my rear brakes were 75% worn and recommended changing them. I asked the guy behind the counter if when he went out and bought a pint he drank it all or threw the last quarter away. He told me he drank it all. Exactly I said, I'll wait until mine are worn!

18. benny Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Have succesfully changed ther rear ones today, got very wet and misrable but thats no one fault but my own.

those were the worst ones so glad i have them done i think the front ones could wait a week or 2.

Thanks for the advice it all came in useful.

Ben

19. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Well done with the job - it's worth a soaking for the peace of mind.

20. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi and welcome Ben.

I`m looking at replacing my pads shortly and maybe the disc if they need it but like most I`m holding out for a little better weather before getting down and dirty with them :Wink: