Legend/4th Gen Hello

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by v6Echo, Saturday 7th Sep, 2013.

1. v6Echo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I feel this is a good starting point for a thread that lists all Legend owners on this site. Forgive me if it already exists but I've not seen it. So here we go starting with me: 09 registered KB1 in Graphite Pearl with 18" alloys and 27k on the clock, Owned since 17th August 2013. I don't recall ever seeing another one on the road but I suppose that before I became interested in these cars earlier this year, I would not have noticed them. I previously had a Mazda6 for 11 years. Good car but got bored with it and wanted a bit more luxury. Had a 3rd Generation Accord for 12 years & have always missed it since parting in 2002, so it is great to be back in a Honda! I am interested to hear from anyone who has experience of converting to/running on LPG as long term I may consider that. A bit hesitant regarding LPG effect on the warranty and possible degradation of the valve seats. Any info or comments on that would be welcome. I currently only do 7k p/a so fuel bill not too much of a concern. I'll shut up now and hope to see some KB1 owner's replies soon.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Re: Who's Legend is it ?

Heres the thread your after http://hondakarma.com/threads/381/

A few legend owners on here have had LPG conversions done, have a search. The Legends take well to LPG. Just make sure its a reputable system and reputable installer.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have moved this out of the other thread.

4. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi there owned my legend for around three months and had it converted to lpg not long after buying it. I've now covered around 5000 miles on lpg and i am covering around 500-600 miles a week on my work commute. It really is a fantastic car one of the most underrated ever i think and with the lpg it really does take away the only bad point of the legend. I run on the cruise control at about 74 for around 400 miles and do about 100 to 150 miles around town i get a real 50 to the gallon based on the price of gas that i pay. My conversion cost about 1500 with the all important flashlube system to help keep the valves cool. I've owned lots of lpg cars and never had a problem with valve seat recession. What i understand is that the valve seat recession happens most at high rpms when the exhaust valve gets hot without the cooling of effect of petrol vapour in my case the legend is ticking over most of the time on the motorway at around 2300 RPM so i am sure it will be fine for a good while yet.
    As suggested in the previous post go to someone based on recommendation and look at some of the conversions that they have done and judge for yourself. Main thing is if they say it can be done in a day then walk away a good conversion on the legend will take 3 - 4 days to carry it out properly.

If you need any advice feel free to ask.

Regards Matt

Ichiban likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

V6Echo, on top of what Matt has said, I've converted many Hondas myself and have done many many miles on LPG on Honda engines (at least 120K on K series engines) and contrary to popular belief that Honda engines have soft valves, I've never had any VSR issues whatsoever.

You mentioned warranty, if you are currently covered by Honda warranty, converting to LPG will very likely invalidate that. How long do you have left on the warranty ? Go through the T's & C's and see what it says.

Just shout if you have any more queries.

6. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

My car was covered by the Honda warranty and I can tell you that pretty much the first exclusion in the t and cs is any conversion to dual fuels. I have taken out another warranty on my car that pretty much covers everything apart from the lpg system but I wasn't too bothered about that as the system is covered by a hefty warranty anyway. It was quite reasonable I thought at about £300 for 3 years the car has to be serviced to Hondas schedule though with a 500 mile window over the 9000 mile interval. I have had the car serviced with genuine parts at a independent garage for £187 as opposed to £600 at Honda. My biggest concern with your car is with the mileage you do is it worth converting unless you are planning on keeping the car for ages.

Matt

7. v6Echo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the replies SpeedyGee & Matt. Good point about the mileage vs LPG conversion. It possibly would not cost in at 7k p/a although I do plan to keep the car long term. As mentioned, everything about the Legend except the MPG is fantastic. Had mine for four weeks now & grow to like it more every day. I enjoy driving it enough to feel that the running cost is worth the extra. If it was cheaper on fuel then that would be the icing on the cake. Still getting used to the power available. Joining the motorway yesterday with a wall of lorries coming up behind, nothing in front, unleashed the horses & without any drama I got well out of the way. Most of the time I'm happy to be wafted around in silent comfort but the sound of the V6 at higher revs is addictive! One of my previous cars was a 3.5 V8 Rover P6 . That was a nice ride but with no power steering & 3 speed auto box, it is no match for the Legend. I'll have to get the calculator out regarding LPG but as I have a 3 year warranty, may put plans on hold.

Last edited: Saturday 14th Sep, 2013
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

People talk about taking account of number of miles per year and do lots of calculations, however, with a car like the Legend, like you said only down side of it is that it hits u hard in the pocket. You don't actually have to make up all of the costs of the install. The value and sales appeal does go up. So you could right off some of the install costs that way.

Also as soon as you've had the install done, you'll instantly feel the relief on your wallet. I recently did a trip to London, 240 miles in total, cost me £23 in a 2.4 litre :Smile: