Pre-Purchase Help Advice Car I am looking at

Discussion in '8th Generation (2006-2011)' started by Paulg1980, Thursday 26th May, 2016.

1. Paulg1980 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Paul Doncaster
    Hello everyone,
    I joined today and I am hoping to get some advice if possible?
    I have wanted a Civic for a long long time and now is my time at last. My pathetic Vauxhall Astra has served me well enough but I a bored and want a Civic.
    I am going to view a 2007 Civic 1.8 i-VTEC EX in alabaster silver on Saturday for the second time having put a refundable deposit on it and it is priced at £3200. It has FSH, tons of receipts for work carried out and not a mark on it. All mod cons including say nav and reverse camera.
    My only worry is that it has covered 112k miles and I am having g second thoughts. Would this Mount of miles put you off at all?
    Thanks in advance
    Paul

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hello Paul and welcome to HK. :Hey:

A well maintained, petrol Honda, even with that mileage should still run for many more miles. Obviously, the lower the mileage the better, but the FSH is a real plus. Has this been carried out by Honda dealers?

I would still want to have a thorough examination of the overall condition and a decent test drive. Check everything works.
    If you are not very mechanically minded, take some one with you who is. Have a close look at previous MOT's especially if there are any failures or advisories. If they do not have the previous ones, you can look them up on the internet.

I cannot comment on the price, but I'm sure there are others on here that are able to advise better.

3. Paulg1980 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Paul Doncaster
    Hi Nels,

Thanks for the reply. It was serviced at a Honda main dealer first 4 times then at a Mercedes dealership the next 5. 9 stamps in all. I have checked online and it failed 3 MOTs due to suspension problems but these were all rectified and the receipts were present. I couldn't hear any knocking or squeeling when test driving it. I am not mechanically minded and i don't have anyone who is who could possibly come with me so it is definitely a 'trust my gut' approach to buying. There is literally not a single scratch on it that i could see anyway or signs of rust. I almost bought it there and then.

I had been looking at a 2.2 diesel as well in EX trim with 115k miles on in milano red. I like it better than the petrol but i do roughly 12k miles a year mainly on a short 40 mile motorway round trip each day to and from work. It would be used for long trips from south yorkshire to kent but this only happens 5 or 6 times a year so not sure i could justify having a diesel and the thought of DMF failure scares the life out of me.

Am i right to dismiss the idea of the diesel?

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

A well maintained Honda diesel, that has been treated properly is a joy to own and drive. However, these are quite rare. When they go wrong, they can quickly drain your bank account!

There are two main Honda diesels, I-CTDI and I-DTEC, the latter having DPF. I think you will find the 2007 Civic is the I-CTDI.

Probably better to stick with petrol.

Nighthawk likes this.
  5. Paulg1980 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Paul Doncaster
    Thanks again. I have found a few in my price range with lower miles fairly local to me and viewed two of them. One was a shed and the other was in fairly poor cosmetic condition and both had part servce history. The others look nice on autotrader but the dealerships do not have a good reputation. The reason i am leaning towards this one is that the dealership have very positive reviews and there are a fair few of them I have found, i get 3 months RAC warranty and 12 months full RAC breakdown cover as well. I thought i might be able to trust them a little more than the lower mileage ones.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Is this a Honda dealer?

7. Paulg1980 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Paul Doncaster
    No it's an independent garage but have been there many years with lots of positive feedback/reviews

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    As a CTDi owner myself, I wouldn't touch a CTDi engine now. Not because I am not happy with mine, quite the contrary, but I have had my CTDi since she was just under 3 years old and have maintained her obsessively since. I wouldn't buy a CTDi now because of the type of mileage that you would be looking at and as a result, the lack of history behind it (I don't mean paperwork history, I mean how its been driven)

Nels likes this.
  9. Paulg1980 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Paul Doncaster
    Cheers nighthawk. So the 112k petrol put you off? Thinking I'd rather a higher mile Honda than a say a ford focus with 90k on. Also I ant the cruise control on the Civic for the 5 or 6 long runs I do each year

10. Nighthawk Guest

112k for a petrol honda is nothing really. That wouldn't put me off. If it was a diesel with an unknown history..that would

11. Paulg1980 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Paul Doncaster
    Brilliant cheers nighthawk. I think I was being seduced by the Milano red of the diesel. The petrol has wanted for nothing in terms of the receipts. It was traded in to the garage for a 2012 Civic at the same garage and guy said he will show me paperwork tomorrow when I visit

12. Nighthawk Guest

I personally have a couple of schools of thought when it comes to buying used. In some ways, average or slightly above average is a sign of reliability. Its also a sign that a car hasnt been off the road much, whether thats due to accidents or repairs. It shows its plodded along without any real issues. Cars with low mileage make me more cautious in some ways - why is the mileage so low? Has it been off the road for a long time? Cars sitting is bad for them.

The missus EP2 (which you can see in my signature below), only had around 88k on the clock for an 11 year old car. As a result of the sitting, it developed various mechanical problems which have now since been fixed, including siezed caliper and rust. The sitting did more damage than good but now that its being used daily, its proven very reliable indeed.

I have a family member with an MX5 which is 8 years old I think it is now - got a bit over 21k on the clock with loads of receipts. The car bodywork wise is immaculate but its choked up. It never has long runs and only potters about with the revs never going high at all. It feels sluggish as a result. I have had access to it the last few months and its starting to wake up a bit now as enthusiastic driving has helped unblock it somewhat.

Too low mileage is not always a good thing. I would also recommend someone going with you if they know about cars to help look, or if thats not an option, to get it individually tested if you arent mechanically knowledgable about cars yourself

Good luck with the car

SpeedyGee likes this.
  13. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Meh, 112k for a Honda petrol is just getting run in! 120k on my tourer and it's a fresh as a daisy with a little drop a dew on a petal.

One thing to remember with cars for sale; they are for sale for a reason and older the car the more likely it is down to impending costs. With the mileage you're looking at I'd be paying particularly close attention to tyres, bushes, brakes, exhaust and clutch. Do a search on the VOSA website for MOT history and see what's been failures or advisories.

legend-ary, Nels and Nighthawk like this.
  14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If you put these two cars together in 5 years time, the Civic will still be going strong.
    Honda engines are extremely reliable, especially petrol. Like all mechanical things, they need to be maintained and serviced correctly. If the Civic in #1 has been treated in this way, she sounds like a good choice.

15. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    (just my 2cents)

112K!
    See the mileage is not a problem for a petrol Honda however I think for £3200 you can do better. Unless you are dead set on getting a particular spec and shade of colour combo.. for around £3200 - £3400 you can easily get cars whose mileage is atleast 20,000 lower if not more.

A quick search on AutoTrader for 1,8 VTEC EX around £3500 the mileages on top 4 cars are:
    92,000 miles.. and that is the advertised price so with a bit of haggling you can save a couple of £100s maybe and bring them closer to your budget of around £3200

I know full history and dealer selling the car does matter but that doesn't mean you pay over the odds for the car. You can maybe haggle on price a bit and buy the 112k one or you can expand your search a bit and find cars that are a bit away from you but still have good service history etc.

(edited for clarification, initially I put in £3500 but double checked and the 112k Civic is £3200 but still the reply is just as valid)

Last edited: Friday 27th May, 2016
    Nighthawk and Nels like this.
  16. Paulg1980 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Paul Doncaster
    Thanks for all the replies. I have to admit i had been looking for either an ES or EX trim. I had expanded my search and found a few with sub 100k on clock with FSH but having searched for reviews of the said dealers there seemed to be a lot of bad reviews for them (the ones i can realistically get to from Doncaster anyway),

So 112k isn't anything to worry about but I could use it as a haggling tool?

17. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    They used to say 12k a year was the average and the car you're looking at has done that(ish). Price might be a tad on the high side but depending how long he's had it he'll have at least a grand in it. Boots on, aim for the nuts. Petrols aren't as desirable as diesel...tax is high....blah blah, give it the usual, after all, that's what he'd say to you if trading it in.

legend-ary and Nighthawk like this.
  18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

To haggle is a must.

legend-ary and Nighthawk like this.
  19. Nighthawk Guest

I love haggling :Wub:

Nels and legend-ary like this.
  20. Paulg1980 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Paul Doncaster
    i am terrible at it. I want the 3 month warranty that comes with it so i worry they will say that that goes if i haggle too much. I have my battered Astra which i would imagine i would get offered about £200 for as it is knackered and if i could get it for under £3000 i would be happy with that.

Would you forsake the 3 month RAC warranty for a lower price?

I want either an ES or EX trim and i am prepared to travel up to 40 miles for for the right one. I have managed to find 1 ES and 1 EX. The ES is literally round the corner from me and has patchy history but is on 88k miles and it is fairly battered. Lots of scratches all over it, the rear perspex on the boot lid is shattered and one of the indicators on left wing mirror has been smashed off and for some reason filler has been used instead of replacing the indicator cover. That worried me it was bodged by the previous owner and probably mistreated in general.

I forgot to say as well that I am going to have to use a credit card so i am limited to dealers