Engine & Gearbox Help? Advice needed

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2007-2015)' started by HOTMRD, Monday 16th Dec, 2013.

1. HOTMRD Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello

I always found this forum useful in the past so i thought i would give it a shot>>

Wife's 2nd Generation Jazz (06) 83k is in need of some TLC, other day took it out for a spin and notice a burning smell from clutch, i know its on its way out and have been been putting it off for a while but now would rather be safe than sorry, eventho its not sliping yet..

Also should there be anything else I should be looking to get done on this car at given milage on car?

any suggestions, advice and recommendations on best options on what and were to get work done would be greatly appreciated...

Many thanks....​

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: Help ? Advise needed

This a CVT car or a manual mate , CVT doesnt half stink when they burn..

3. HOTMRD Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oops sorry forgot to state its a Manual..

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Its is cold and damp around this time of the year you need to ideally test after a really long journey when the engine and tranny is hot.. see then if it slips.

or a few hot laps around the block in a safe and legal manner will soon tell ya what is up with it.

5. HOTMRD Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hmmm, I need to put out tonight to Tesco's for a few bits; think i got t the one in Huddersfield Via M62; will let you know:Hey:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Safe Journey bud its going to get to zero tonight. Let us know if that slip subsides after a few hot laps :Wink:

7. HOTMRD Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well that was fun!

After further analyses and rigours testing' definitely can confirm that she's not slipping; however there is a bit of a stink underneath after I parked her up

what are your thoughts???

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham

What does it smell off ? Burning engine oil/gearbox oil ?

9. HOTMRD Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kind of like a cat Piss burning smell is from Gearbox, definitely not from engine

10. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Help ? Advise needed

Are you sure it is not the cat that you can smell( catalyst converter)? Lol
    Mike c

11. HOTMRD Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

never thought about that could be a point, so what could that add up too, don't think clutch needs doing but a pretty sure I need to have a good full on service.

Last edited: Tuesday 17th Dec, 2013
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham

We can only make guesses really, could be a gearbox oil overheating. Drain and refill with new gearbox oil to correct level may help.

13. HOTMRD Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ok... is this a simple job or should a be sitting down before I call up dealers for 80k service infact strach that a moment ... [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Hey IchibanAccord - Just been reading Serve Service Thread would really appreciate it if you could find the time to take of her for us?[/FONT]

Last edited: Tuesday 17th Dec, 2013
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Sure mate I am off work Thursday and Friday droop me a PM!

15. HOTMRD Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Will had my clutch looked at and seams ok for now:Happy: however I feel like having the transmission fluid changed within the service

But could someone take a look at this deal from local shop and tell mw if their is anything else i've missed; I know air / pollen filters aren't genuine but they did provide genuine oil filter with washer & transmission oil and some decent engine oil with forgot front and rear Bosh wiper blades as well!

View attachment 12604

Something telling me to get the same again for my CR-V ?

Last edited: Wednesday 18th Dec, 2013