Body, Paint & Styling Help!! Car full of water!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by nauest, Friday 4th Mar, 2016.

1. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Just finishing a load of work and found shockingly the boot well filled with inches of water!!
    My compressor has almost definitely had it, really concerned about how high the water has been and any other damage.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. I have drilled a hole in the floor to drain it. Need to find the source!!

DSC_0487.JPG DSC_0486.JPG

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Check the rubber seal in the tailgate and opening then put talcum power around the rubber seals on the boot lip then use a garden hose and see what gets disturbed you will then pin point the leak.

Nighthawk and Duc de Pommfrit like this.
  3. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Good idea, unfortunately that test shows that the seal is holding up, evwn to pressure washer spray. Its not that.

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Where else in the boot is it wet? There are not many places it can enter if not through the boot seals

Why did you drill a hole? The spare wheel hole normally has a bung in it at the lowest point so that you can remove to drain any water through should water get in the boot. Does the tourer not have this?

5. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    I really should have checked that! Couldn't see anything obvious. At the moment I have resorted to drilling holes in the Chassis low points... I litrally have no idea what else to do!
    DSC_0488.JPG

6. raza4 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

england
    Do you put anything wet In your boot like a kids pram or anything like that?

7. Nighthawk Guest

Truthfully, the water doesnt look that high, I wouldn't have drilled holes into the floor of the car. If it didnt have a bung (I would be surprised if it didnt have some way of draining water out as most cars do), I would have soaked it up with towels or sucked it out with a hose.

Just checked the Accord - she has two bungs

20160304_173647.

Makes no difference now, but have you carried any water in there recently? When was the last time you checked and it was dry?

8. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    No, and I took over 10 litres of water out!

9. Nighthawk Guest

Any water marks on any of the panelling? Is the carpet wet in a certain area at all?

10. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    The water line was up to the bottom pf the rear cill at one point itust have been high enough to almost be at boot floor level, we are talking as much water as you can get in there!

11. Nighthawk Guest

So are there any watermarks on the panelling? Something to give an indication where it came from? When was the last time you checked in the boot well? Is it new water or has it been in there for a long time

12. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    No bungs in mine..

DSC_0489.JPG
    - - - Updated - - -
    The water could have built up over time, probably not been right under for a couple months. No clues as to the source of the water
    - - - Updated - - -
    I only drilled holes as to prevent the build up happening again.

13. Nighthawk Guest

I would suggest @Ichiban method - it works well. There will be evidence of water stains on the carpet, or on the trim or somewhere. For that amount of water to build up, its either a huge leak or a really small one which has taken longer than 2 months.

Probably better to find the source than drill drainage holes, but too late now. Try to find the source, check for any water damage and follow it back up. Try it around your rear clusters too, see if anything is coming in through there or from your rear windscreen if the seals of the boot are ok as you say.

14. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    I have drilled the holes the same size as my hard rubber bungs, so I can undo them no problem. The water is everywhere, really no clues as to where ot comes in. I took it for a drive in the rain and there was no noticable water added. It must be a long slow leak. Ihave looked everywhere. Nothing is wet above the waterline. One thought was rear window seals. Just seems so unlikley!

The other weird thibg is how fresh and clean the water was. Didn't seem old...
    - - - Updated - - -
    The jack has been submerged as its rusty!
    - - - Updated - - -
    I am wondering if somehow I left the boot not properly closed or something. Litrally no idea!

15. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    All dried out inside, she is now facing the dreaded firehose test.
    DSC_0490.JPG
    - - - Updated - - -
    Firehose test not ideal, seems to defeat most of the seals!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Hace given up. Dried her up and put her back together. don't know what more to do!

16. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Have you checked around the rear lights? I've had leaks on other cars around those parts... fixed with a little bead of sillicone above egress points to redirect water around and down the normal drain route.

I'd pull all the interior panels in the boot and look for any water coming in as some one sprays the car.

As another idea.... I have no idea where it runs... but what about a leak from the rear washer pipes?

nauest likes this.
  17. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Good idea, I will check round the rear light clusters.

haha, you would know with the smell of my washer fluid :Tongue:

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Another technique is a smoke bomb with fill the car with smoke , it won't leave any residue or smell close all the car and then see where is this smoke coming out of and you will find the source.
    Smoke Pellets

19. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Get someone else to hose the car in the day light whist you are inside and can see where it is getting in.

Nighthawk likes this.
  20. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Ok so the drains are keeping it from filling up, but water is still really getting in even in light rain. So its time for everything in the back of the car to come out. I am going to use the opportunity to put in some upgraded sound insulation also.