General HELP = found nail in tyre

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pastore, Friday 30th Oct, 2015.

1. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pastore London
    Just leave my house and noticed it sounded like i had a flat tyre so pulled over to have a look and found a nail or a screw i must have drove over stuck in my back tyre. I was just about to go to luton too, anyone know if i can just pull it out and pump up? or do i just drive to the tyre place 10mins away and pay them to put a new tyre on?

thanks, :Frown:

20151030_134512. 20151030_134505.

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If you drive with a flat tyre you will have an issue with vehicle control and could well damage the wheel rim. You need to fit the spare!

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@pastore - the tyre place may well be able to repair the tyre, depending on the damage. BUT you'll need to fit the spare first as @Zebster says, or you may well do more damage.

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Unfortunately, the damage appears to be too close to the sidewall for a repair to be performed.

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Oh, really - didn't know that.

Worth asking the question I guess - nothing ventured and all that.

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    As @Zebster says, too close to the sidewall, they can't repair it. Risks the sidewall rigidity too much

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's unlucky !

Did you manage to fit the spare and make it to the tyre place.

As @Zebster says that looks too close to the edge to repair.

8. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

sorry for the late reply, i got home late last night, thanks for all your replies.

i didnt take it out, i left it in and drove to the tyre place where i showed it to the guy and he basically fixed the puncture for 10 quid. i was well happy. so i just went petrol station and pumped up all the tyres to 30 PSI just to make sure its all good before i went on the M1, cuz the guy pumped it to 36 PSI

so all fixed now, thanks again to the replies on here, really appriate it :Smile:

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    You were 'lucky' to get that repaired!

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

What tyre please did you take it to?

Was a back street garage?

11. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i know, i thought they were going to try and sell me a tyre but the guy seemed honest, i will be going back there again in future!

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

And the answer to my question @pastore ?

13. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

sorry, just saw your question, i havent got there number but its a place in west hendon, yeah its kinda a back street garage, here is the link for the google street

Google Maps

SpeedyGee likes this.
  14. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It probably shouldn't have been repaired!

It isn't on the front, is it?

Nighthawk likes this.
  15. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

the back left,

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The exact place where you went doesn't matter, it was clear to me that you went to back street garage rather than established main street/national tyre fitting outlet.

You remember everyone here after seeing the photo saying that is not repairable as it's too close to the edge.

Well had the person followed the British Standards rules, he would have said sorry it's too close to the edge and if I repaired that it will be a dangerous repair. You can only carry out a repair within the centre 70% area of the tyre. Essentially the flat part.

The reason you can't make a puncture repair so close to the end of the tyre is because the tyre wall (side wall) strength is now compromised. You are now in a situation where that side wall could let go whilst you are using the vehicle.

Is that risk worth taking @pastore ?

Last edited: Saturday 31st Oct, 2015
    Nighthawk and Zebster like this.
  17. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i didnt get the chance to see all the coments cuz i was out, so your saying get a new tyre?
    - - - Updated - - -
    how can people charge for not doing a proper job within british rules? have i been conned?

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Personally yes I would for sure get a new tyre.

At the end of the day your tyres are the only thing holding your 1 Ton car to the ground. If a tyre lets got at speed it's not fun trying to maintain control of the car.

This is a professional trained Police driver :-

This poor chap, spun out and ended up flippin his car over, allegedly due to a blow out

Hard to say whether he deliberately did it or not. Problem with side street garages is the they don't give their employees proper training.

19. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I wouldn't like to say you were conned, as he may have made more profit by selling you a new tyre. I'd want to have it replaced if I was going to be driving at speed for sustained periods. It is likely go fail the MOT if they spot this repair.

Why did you start this thread if you weren't going to look at the replies?

20. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i did see a couple of replies but then i forgot i had to top up the electric key cuz i was running low and whilst i was out i went to the tyre place straight from there, thats why i said sorry for late reply this morning cuz i didnt wana be rude

Zebster likes this.