General Help from Honda historians: late 80s Honda concept car

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bertandnairobi, Sunday 23rd Nov, 2014.

1. bertandnairobi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richard Denmark
    Hi:
    For the last while I have been looking for a Honda concept car from the late 80s. It wasn´t one of their sleek and speedy designs, but a concept for a city hatchback. What was noteable about it was the design of the rear. It featured a reverse-rake c-pillar of the type you see quite commonly now on estate and hatchback. Examples include the Peugeot 407 SW, the first Mercedes A-class and the current Hyundai i10. The idea is to make the rear screen look like it wraps around from the back to the side. In reality all the supporting D or C pillar is still there, under the glass. And the frame of the rear window on the tailgate is still there too. I wonder if anyone knows the name of this Honda. I have tried a variety of Google searches without effect. the "concept car" part summons loads of irrelevant concept cars from the recent past.
    Little did they know it but Honda spawnd a very common design theme and I want to write something about its use in the last two decades.
    Thanks if you can help out with this!

Richard in Denmark

2. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
  3. bertandnairobi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richard Denmark
    What an astonishing catalogue. Thanks for rooting that out. I will take a look there. Superb!
    Thanks! It might not have the car I want but it will still be great to pore over.
    R

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What about
    Honda L700 (1965)

Honda_L700_(1965).

Honda 1300 Coupe (1970)

Honda_1300_Coupe_(1970).

hedleyf likes this.
  5. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    :Hey: Yeah quite detailed when you drill down into the models.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Am I on the right track not the 80's but since your car has so many variables let try to narrow them down.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I bet they don't have these

Honda FSR

219_Concept_Car_Other. 221_Concept_Car_Other. 220_Concept_Car_Other.

Concept Car 2 Door "Dualnote"
    1325_Concept_Car_2_Door. 1326_Concept_Car_2_Door. 1327_Concept_Car_2_Door. 1328_Concept_Car_2_Door. 1329_Concept_Car_2_Door.

AndyB1976 likes this.
  7. bertandnairobi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richard Denmark
    Alas none of those. I remember the period was 1987-1990. It was a concept not a production car. It was a small city hatchback.
    I have attached three images of the 1997 Mercedes A-class which has the same pillar design. One shows the detail highlighted in red.
    The last shows the car as might have looked with a more conventional side glass graphics. Now I have done it I think the D-pillar should be thicker.
    But you will get the idea.

Attached Files:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda IMAS look like that German Turd

1379. 1381. 1380.
    This looks better than the German Turd IMHO

The Honda "Fuya-jo"
    The better looking

Honda Neukom

9. bertandnairobi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richard Denmark
    Remarkable. I do admire Japanese creativity. Some it it is nuts but often it´s thrilling. The fact the UK car magazines play almost no attention to the Japanese market (though they did up to the 90s) is a disappointment. Have you seen some of Daihatsu and Suzuki´s concept car work?
    I am off to bed now. Thanks for anyone who offers some pointers in this direction. Does anyone think the A-class looks better with a conventional side glass graphic? I do. I do like Honda but their wraparoun rear windscreen ideas was one Honda idea I wish nobody had copied!

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sod the Jetsons

The Honda Puyo take the win

- - - Updated - - -
    You gone to bed I am just getting warm ..

11. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Love that 1970 1300 coupe, was that concept or production? could be on my Christmas list .:Grin:

Ichiban likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I nearly have the entire ebbro collection of Honda Model cars but I don't have the 1300 its rare to get hold if you do you are Honda collector royalty.

check out the models EBBRO under Honda and premium collection are superbly detailed :Wub::GiveRose:
    - - - Updated - - -
    129_2910.JPG
    129_2926.JPG
    129_2916.JPG
    hond1300-gold-600-front-a.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Dave you have to get one of these

EB44413-hondaT500-barcode.
    EB44413-hondaT500-web-front.

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I can see a lot of the design concepts were actually used on production verisons, like the FSR with the front lights, that looks similar to the spaceship Civic!
    - - - Updated - - -
    heres a few other suggestions for that car:

Could be the Today Pochette

autowp.ru_honda_evx_concept_1.

honda_today_pochette_4.
    autowp.ru_honda_z_10.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds