General Help me choose a wheel colour please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by exec, Sunday 5th Jul, 2015.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    So I will most likely be dropping my car off to bodywork garage this coming week and will be getting my wheel refurbed too, so I have a choice of a color to make.

I wanna stick with my stock wheels as I rather avoid insurance faff and its hard finding anything I like to fit the hub on these 6th Generation, plus nice wheels cost a bomb.

The colour I would love is that light bronze colour you see on those Rota wheels and Enkei's, but I think it would be impossible to get that exact colour as its a unique finish on those wheels. This is what I'm talking about:

dsc07932.

I will ask the bodyshop guys if they can replicate that, so its my first choice, do you guys reckon that colour wood look good on mine?

The other options i'm think of are satin grey, anthracite, standard bronze or the stock silver colour. Going stock is my second choice as its the safest bet but a bit boring, would like to try something different but not at the risk of making the car look chavvy or just plain tasteless.

Heres a few photoshop:

lite brnze.

satin grey.
    stock.

Would appreciate some honest second opinions.

Cheers.

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Boring I know, but I like the standard silver best.

exec likes this.
  3. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    I think a goldish colour would look good with the color of your car.

Chris.

exec likes this.
  4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I like the colour of those R34 alloys, I think they would suit your alloys. Other than that, personally, stock.

Why don't you do them yourself mate? Its a great project and the weather is perfect for it

legend-ary and exec like this.
  5. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    /\
    |
    |
    This

6. Nighthawk Guest

Try them yourself mate, if you mess it up, get them done professionally, if you don't mess it up, bonus, free fresh new alloys

I still need to stick my DIY up for alloy refurbs - I have so many DIYs I need to stick up

7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I did initially plan on refurbishing them myself, it was with plastidip though, last year, bought all the cans which cost a bomb(!), then quickly realised living in a flat in an estate with car being parked a few streets down it would be a chore carrying the wheels back and forth each at a time and doing them up which would have had to be spread out over a few weekends. If I lived in a house with a driveway then I would have just put the car on axle stands and painted every wheel in one day.

Otherwise as you say it makes sense to give these a go yourself as they aren't that hard to do and makes a nice project.

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

Pity your quite a distance mate - otherwise I would help you out

exec likes this.
  9. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I like the silver the rest look dull on the car and the silver just brightens up the car.

exec likes this.
  10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Cheers for the feedback yall, so its either that light bronze or stock silver. I know what you mean with the silver, though its a generic boring colour, it looks bright and shiny.

I phoned the place I wanted to get all the work done at and the guy on the end was very un-enthusiastic sounding and then hung up on me! :wanker: So he can do one and won't be getting any business from me, theres a few other place I have on my list for the bodywork jobs, so will give those a ring. But this has made me have second thoughts on paying someone else to do the alloys, I'm thinking of doing it myself now as you can never rely on other people so might aswell attempt do-able jobs myself, (won't be able to do the bodywork stuff myself), so anyway the plan is use each weekend to get two wheels done, 1 one wheel each day, I can park right outside my building on weekends as no control hours then, then just take a wheel off, put the spare alloy on and then refurb them in the garden.

Found the bronze paint I'm after: Rota Drift Bronze - £12.50 : Wheel Paints

Two cans should be enough right? So just need some primer, sand paper, matt finisher and some alloy filler. :Tea:

MickyB likes this.
  11. Nighthawk Guest

Il tell ya what mate, Il see if I can get the DIY put up on how I did my alloys. That company is excellent btw, they are who I used and they actually supply paint to refurb companies and smart repair companies. Use only the 2k proper lacquer, don't use any junk from Halfords. To give you a slight idea however, I do touch on it a bit here - scroll through the post and you will see the stages

Accord/7th Generation - Nighthawk's CTDi

Oh, and two cans will not be enough if you are doing the entire inner and outer alloy. Even just the outer, you will be pushing it with just 2 cans.

If you need any advice or help with painting, let me know, I have made a few posts already about painting techniques here on the forum

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    My call...

accord-se-20-cg8-f20-alloys-polished-chrome.

exec likes this.
  13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ Took me a while to figure out what you did there! The skirts will be getting colour coded, did you photoshop the wheels? They look a bit bluey.

14. Nighthawk Guest

Colour coded skirts do look much better - in fact mate, the skirts you could paint yourself, they are small enough to use cans on. I prefer the alloys slightly more silver. I don't like the bronze, it looks a bit to boy racey to me.

exec likes this.
  15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I hate black bumper/skirt parts :Whistle:

I did mate, just made them a bright silver almost chromey colour, then I colour processed the photo for style and it gave that slight blue tint :Laughing:

I don't think bronze works with your colour, it's too much of a clash from the reds in the paint colour.

exec likes this.
  16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Just went through log, thats some great work, but seems like a lot of work! :Messed: I didn't even think about cleaning the inside of the wheel, mine will no doubt be all grimed up!

A guide would be really good if it isn't too much trouble. I think I will first do a test job with one wheel and see if I can do it or not. Thanks for the tips and heads up. :Thumbup:

17. Nighthawk Guest

I won't lie mate, its a heck of a lot of work, but if you have patience, it will be just fine. The preperation work is one of the most important steps, any defect prior to paint will be significantly magnified when its painted with clean, fresh paint.

Il see if I can stick a DIY up, I didnt take those pictures with the intention of creating a DIY so it won't be to my normal standard but I will try to explain it the best I can.

18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Yeh I don't want a proper bronze as it won't suit the colour or the car itself. I like the shade on the Skyline, its a really light bronze that looks silvery and light greyish at times with the matt finish, but those wheels have an anodized finish which makes that effect. I'm thinking of buying a can and just trying it out on one wheel, I would prefer to try something different, I think that colour sits well between grandad silver and boy racer dark bronze/goldy colour.

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah I think that could working better, I think that's more gold than bronze and would work well. Be interesting to see how it comes out!

20. Nighthawk Guest

All this talk about alloys has made me have a look at the EP2 original alloys which are sitting in the garage atm until I wear the Bridgestones out on the Accords alloys. They are also in pretty good nick, but not enough where I would be happy to leave them as they are. There are a few chips of alloy out of them and some staining of the lacquer so I think they will all be stripped down and painted. This time I will do a proper DIY. Even so, I think the one alloy is enough to show the filling, priming, rubbing down and prep work on in the meantime.
    - - - Updated - - -
    @exec - just had a quick play

When I redo the EP2 alloys (won't be for another month or two minimum), I will use 4 cans of 400ml basecoat Honda Silver. This is the same as OEM, the sparkles are fantastic. It is identical in colour to the OEM silver and is what I used for my Santinos on the Accord

Honda Standard Silver - £10.50 : Wheel Paints

I will also use the same 2k lacquer as well

2K Clearcoat Aerosol [NO CODE] - £12.99 : Wheel Paints

One can of basecoat, and just under one can of lacquer per wheel to do inside and out.

Then you want sundries such as tack cloths, various grades of sandpaper, etch and normal primer etc. All in, budget around 120ish for all four wheels.

exec and DeviateDefiant like this.