Insurance help needed - road tax to drive purchased car home

Discussion in 'Insurance & Breakdown Cover' started by chris2982, Sunday 15th May, 2016.

1. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    off to look at a car and if I like it how do I go about getting it back home...

Looking at doing one of the 1 day insurance and tax online but not sure if this would work

any and all help appreciated

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Tax can be done online very quickly.
    As for insurance, do you have a clause in your existing insurance policy that allows you to drive any car that you own as TP insurance? (Usually excluded for U23s)

EDIT: For the above to be valid, the sellers insurance on vehicle still has to be valid, if not, use below method

If not, or you want to cover the value of the vehicle in case of an accident driving it back home then try confused.com for 1 day car insurance comparison.

Last edited: Sunday 15th May, 2016
    Nels likes this.
  3. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

I can drive any car that has its own 3rd party but the car I am going to see I sorn, and currently not insured.
    problem is I cannot tax unless it is insured( or can I ??) and how can I prove it's insured online if I have only got a 1 day policy .

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    A car needs to be insured in its own right for your third party cover to be valid as @Chunkylover53 has already stated. Most policies with this third party clause state that the insurance must still be active on the main vehicle, so if you are, for example, trading your main car in for another one, then the insurance policy won't cover the new car third party as you would no longer own the car to which that policy relates to. The car being SORN means that you cannot drive it regardless as its not taxed and is notified as off the road by DVLA so until this status is lifted, you can't legally drive it. So for clarity, the car you are looking at tomorrow must still be insured on its own insurance in order for your third party clause to cover it as well as the insurance policy giving you that third party clause must still be valid on the main vehicle for which it was issued.

Call up your insurance company and enquire, some will add an existing exemption on for a matter of a few hours so you can get a car home. don't take the sellers word for it that it is still insured, if it isnt, it won't be him getting done for it if stopped/accident etc. Taxing it can be done within minutes.

Nels likes this.
  5. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

that's why I was looking at doing one of the 1 day temp insurances.. but from what I have read only it can cause issues when taxing online as the records of the insurance may not be updated in time so will not show as the car even having insurance.......

I have no idea if that just made sense,,, heads completely downside up

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Is it a dealer or private?

7. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

private

8. ChrisKnottIns Site Partner Club Affiliate

You can probably get the car added to your existing policy (you could if you were with us), possibly for upto a month at very little cost. That'll also give you a chunk of time in which to sell the old one.

Best,
    Nick

Nighthawk and legend-ary like this.
  9. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    Not entirely convenient, but when picking up the current car I got a one day temporary policy in advance to cover the specified date and nipped to the local post office to tax the car.
    All seemed to go fine with no eyelids batted and a trip home past a million and one ANPR cameras.

JayG likes this.