Engine & Gearbox Help needed with a gearbox leak

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by japcarmaniac, Wednesday 20th Jun, 2012.

1. japcarmaniac Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i have a an f20b6 auto with a really annoying gearbox leak. it seems to leak more when I've stopped driving. after having a quick look i can't seem to find where its coming from, mabey the shifter cable where it enters the gearbox or it could be the driveshaft seal above that area.

if anybody has had a similar prob it would be good to hear some replies.

thanks

IMG-20120611-00120.

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hard to tell the source in all the mess...I had a power steering fluid leak on my 6th Generation and I cleaned everything up with engine degreaser and then it was really easy to find the leak. Messy job but worth it.

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Agree. Best to clean the oil leak mess first. The better you clean it the easier it should be to find the source of the problem.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Has the fluid been changed recently perhaps an overfill? a Steam clean should clean up the area well and then trace the leak.

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    driveshaft oil seals are the most common things to check first but as already said, a good clean is a priority!

6. japcarmaniac Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

gave it a clean then took it for a drive. after another inspection i can roughly source it coming from either the shifter cable or the driveshaft seal directly above it. i need to get into the driveshaft but unfortunately I've got a locking nut thats snapped so need to drill that out first lol.

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Snapped locking nut is a pain inthe back side. I would take a good bet it's the driveshaft oil seal that's gone.

8. japcarmaniac Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yes i think ill be heading straight for that seal when i get the nut off. ill just drill a hole at either side of the nut with a cobalt drill bit and plit the thing lol.