Accord Help please - Cars with wider rear seats than an accord?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nelf, Monday 20th Jul, 2015.

1. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Sheffield
    Hi all,

I love me Accord (2008 2.2 I-DTEC ES GT) however I'm now a proud father and am thinking I may need something larger.

Its not just for him, its for the fact that my parents are looking to move closer to us and I expect I will be carrying them, the little guy and the wife rather often.

We all fitted in the accord, but with my dad and wife in the back next to the car seat it was snug.

So, im hovering over changing in the next year.

I DON'T want an MPV/people carrier, I really don't want to drive a van with windows, so no suggestions for Meriva and the like, I love estates and I would be open to a 4x4 as long as its reliable. Saloons are an option as long as the boot is as long as the accord for the pram system we have, hatchbacks are probably not an option for this reason.

I also don't really like cars that everyone has, i like cars that you know the owners have chosen for a reason, not just followed the herd.

But what I need is something with a wider rear bench than the accord and I can't find any data on this anywhere. It may be that the accord is about as wide as they come, I just don't know.

My list so far:

Lexus rx400h - reliable and classy, but not a looker
    Honda CR-V - not sure if these are in fact narrower in the back?
    Honda Legend 2008 ish - not a looker but is it bigger in the back?
    Newest shape Saab 9-5 - I told you I like cars that aren't popular!
    Skoda Superb estate - look big and having owned skodas, im happy to return

Does anyone know if these are any larger in the back?

Budget is up to £10k, nothing unreliable and nothing higher than 80k miles, nothing french.
    I value classy looks and tech, reversing camera would be ideal as I'm used to it on mine now.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance :Smile:

2. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

image. image. image.
    Just measured our legend interior , door armrest to door armrest gap is 51.5 inches , centre of seats size is shown in middle image above

The seats are wider than this but the armrest restricts the usable width . You would probably really need to try one out
    Problem is because there are only usually a dozen up for sale at best at any one time it may be difficult to find one
    Bear in mind the MPG , we average just under 20 MPG none rush hour none motorway - although there are a few LPG conversions out there
    The boot may not be as big as you think it is , because of the four wheel drive system

Hope this helps if only a little

GSD2013 likes this.
  3. GSD2013 Premium Member Club Supporter

The mondeo, chrysler gangster 300c estate, older volvos EG early v70 or t5 models, e class merc estates pre 2005, 7 series. The saab is cavalier/ vectra with different suit, 4x4? Range rover or land rover, possibly landcruiser.

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

5. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

you could try an FR-V. 55 inches across the back, 3 real seats front and back, plus space in the boot ( for all the kids stuff) not too many about....easy for grandparents to get in.
    For all its size, Rangies are not that big inside.

6. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    the back of my FR-V comfortably fits 3 child seats with space to spare.

7. GSD2013 Premium Member Club Supporter

I never realised that the FR-V was that wide inside, is the CR-V the same?
    - - - Updated - - -
    :gohonda:@vincemince eveen those little pics show how tasty the legend is :Thumbup:

8. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    Not the best pic but shows how accommodating the FR-V is. . .. 20150709_103838.

Nels likes this.
  9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

A bit of a trawl online shows (non-MPVs) with wide back seats as;

Subaru Legacy estate, and Subaru Tribeca 4x4
    Last of the Saab 9-5s from 2011
    Mercedes E-Class
    Vauxhall Signum

Also the Renault Vel Satis - which is a hell of a car - until it breaks! And you said nothing French...still nice though.
    - - - Updated - - -
    A bit of a trawl online shows (non-MPVs) with wide back seats as;

Subaru Legacy estate, and Subaru Tribeca 4x4
    Last of the Saab 9-5s from 2011
    Mercedes E-Class
    Vauxhall Signum

Also the Renault Vel Satis - which is a hell of a car - until it breaks! And you said nothing French...still nice though.

10. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    @Nelf - nothing to add to the suggestions above but just wanted to say congratulation to both you and the wife on your new addition. Welcome to the club of fatherhood. :Smile:

11. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Just thought Volkswagen Phaeton Perhaps

12. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Sheffield
    Thanks guys, really appreciate the input :Smile:

The FR-V is an interesting one, mpv but quirky enough to get my attention. Would be interested if the CR-V was equally as wide?

Newest Saab 9-5 is also a contender, really like theses but not sure on reliability or servicing costs.

Looked at phaeton but they don't do an engine that is to my taste, the diesel with that weight is like a petrol in a normal saloon. Happy to have poor MPG on something like a legend though as I'd save on repairs what I'd spend on fuel.

Anyone got experience of either the Lexus RX or GS?

Vel satis is a good spot, but I'm not brave enough lol.

Thanks all!

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    My CR-V 3rd Generation is very spacious in the rear, lots of legroom also plus you can slide the rear seats back also. Flat floor as well.

Isn't the next CR-V going to be seven seats? Worth considering?