Fuel Efficiency help please

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by chris2982, Wednesday 24th Jun, 2015.

1. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    I have been looking on honest John and came across this

"On some 2.2 I-CDTI TSB replacement of EGR valve led to big increase in fuel consumed."

now I am getting around 35 to 37mpg which I am not best pleased with..
    on there real MPG calculator it is showing 94% of them are getting around 44mpg.

is it possible that mine has had the TSB thing done (don't even know what that is).. if so how can I get it back to 40 plus.

cheers
    chris

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

3. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Interesting, I have heard cleaning the EGR can help with fuel consumption but not sure what the TSB stands for?

4. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

Last time I heard of TSB I had a kids club bank account with them.

Bones126 likes this.
  5. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    lol, the bank that likes to say yes, but said no lol.

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    TSB = Technical Service Bulletin. This forum has lots of info of TSBs if you do a search.

There are many reasons why your MPG might be down, so I wouldn't focus solely upon the EGR valve. Maybe that article was confusing the early Accord EGR valve (which was electrical) with the later vacuum-operated 'downgrade', which is far more prone to sticking open and causing problems.

7. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    and also down to a lead boot lol

Zebster likes this.
  8. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Not known of replacing EGR valves creating a negative impact on fuel consumption? I think it's just a load of bull myself. Many things effect MPG. EGR sticking will also create a performance issue which I assume you don't have? If your ok with the spanners it's worth whipping off the whole intake manifold and giving everything a good clean. You would be surprised at the build up of carbon

image. image.

This is with a head on the bench and intake manifold removed. See how thick the carbon is inside the ports of the head! You won't remove this just removing the EGR valve.