Engine & Gearbox Help - Starting problems..

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by skywalker, Thursday 6th Dec, 2012.

1. skywalker Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

As a total newbie to this club, I really need some help please...

Bought a 2000, 1.8 SE last weekend and runs very smoothly with just 99K on the clock. But, on Monday morning it failed to start..!! The engine was turning over but would not fire into life. Called out Green Flag, and we eventually got it going by constantly turning over the engine and banging on the fuel tank (GF suspected a fuel pump problem). Once started there were no issues with restarting until Wednesday morning when it did it again. Called out GF and they got it going by turning over the engine constantly for about 2-3 minutes. All spark plugs are working.

Took the car to my Indy garage and they ran a diagnostic check and found no recorded faults or error codes.

Any ideas as to what could be the problem?? If you need more info please ask.

2. Brian100 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Intermittant faults are almost impossible to diagnose, it could be fuel pump, it could be distributor, it could be lack of power to your fuel injectors, so instead of getting Green Flag to get you going it best to get them to take it to the garage you use, yes I know you need it to get to work, we have all at some time had the same problem, I know I have and I know it is not easy, you have to re-think the day, that is the only way I can out of it unless you go through it yourself, let us know how you get on.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Skywalker and welcome to AOC when was the last time the car was serviced and the battery checked over.?

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    if you have spark and the engine is turning over you are lacking fuel. have you checked the main pgmfi relay?..........can you hear the fuel pump in the tank prime when the ignition is swithed on?

5. skywalker Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not sure when the car was last serviced, but the battery looks fairly new
    - - - Updated - - -
    Difficult to hear the fuel pump kick in as the electric aerial starts up as soon as the ignition is switched on
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks, will keep you updated when the problem is found

6. Brian100 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you think it may be fuel once again you will have to wait untill it doesn't start it again have some one with you and remove the fuel line in the engine compartment try and start the car and see if any fuel comes out the fuel pipe, a process of elimination I'm affraid, once again let us know how you get on

7. skywalker Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is the fuel pump external or in the fuel tank on my Accord?

8. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    pump is in the tank buddy. be carefull if you do decide to try and disconnect the fuel line. this is very risky and should not realy be done even as a professional mechanic. if there is fuel to the cylinders and the engine is not starting shortly after cranking, remove a spark plug and if it is wet with fuel you have your answer.

9. Brian100 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you have a 1993-97 Accord yes the pump is integral to the fuel tank, you can also test the pump by supplying (unplugging the poweer supply) and runnig a voltage from the battery to the connetor at the tank, if it does not work check the main relay by using jumper wires.

10. skywalker Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quick update - My car has been running fine for ten days until yesterday afternoon :Frown: Same problem, car is cranking but not firing up. Had to call out Green Flag again, and they got it going but with a fight..!! Battery is OK, good spark at the plugs and you can smell fuel and even with a spray of instant start into the engine, it failed to start immediately. Eventually it fired into life and once it gets going, it will run all day with no probs. The guy from Green Flag suggested it could be the Coolant Temp Sensor??

Could it be the CTS? If it was the PG-MFI relay, would that not cause the car not to start whether it was hot or cold?

11. Brian100 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Are you getting power to your fuel injectors? it may well be a fault there.

12. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

When you started it up from cold, did it tick over on its own without throttle as soon as it started, or do you have to use a bit of throttle and rev to keep it alive until it got going a bit?