Engine & Gearbox HELP WANTED!! any one on here fitted a turbo to the 1.8i vtec in 98 02 accord

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Askdean, Friday 3rd Jan, 2014.

1. Askdean Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi guys

I've just had a massive power drop going from a auto lwb 2000 plate 3.2 v6 frontera remapped to 265bhp and 340lb of torque than ran the 0-60 in 7 the 0 - 100 in 15 and topped out at 143mph to a 1.8i VTEC on a v reg, i know less than half the power and boy do i know it but its a really tidy example and I've managed to get 130 out of it so far with a 80 mph start on to the end of the runway but just not enough off the lights.

so the question i have is how i can generate more power reasonably cheaply. as i only paid £350 for the car.

so first thoughts has any one done a turbo conversion for the 1.8i as seems the quickest option to get the kind of power im used to. and before any one says anything i know i should of bought a v6 one before someone said but i needed a car the next day and it was local.

so its service is coming up whats the best plug for this engine.
    has anyone done a turbo conversion
    seeing as this model seems to need all the back pressure it it can get a straight through exhaust is pointless as ran a modified system with the the middle box missing and sounded great but gutless put a larger rear can in with added baffles but same as to start with so dropped the original system back and put modified box back on the off 4x4 i modded it for to remove obstructions under the truck for offroading.

all suggestions welcome.

2. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

you were correct in the beginning, you should have bought a v6 or just plod along the same as we do :Hey:

3. Askdean Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

There must be a way of draggin more power of it the interior is like new and the body doesn't have a spot of rust on it, some of the stuff bolted to the underneath of the body are another matter but getting replaced as needed

its ok but if i can't do somethign with it im going to be forced to give it the wife and buy another v6 frontera as still got all the ecus and lpg system for it so a new truck can be as fast and as cheap to run in a 2 days tinkering in the garage and she can use this lol

4. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I have been used to new cars for years and old bangers for years before that and was always trying to make my bangers better/smarter/faster now I got about 5 cars and my latest is in the garage forum when I get round to it that will be my project but I still use it daily :Hey:

5. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Sell it and buy something quicker

Much much much cheaper in the long run, normally more reliable too

6. Askdean Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

this is currently my car she has crappy 206 sw oil burner but its destined for the scrappy when my next big tonka toys comes in the spring

till now i can't help it im a petrol head with a lead foot driving a lovely little run about.

but even she wants more power as it only gets about 50 to a tenner at present and im sure it should do better.

- - - Updated - - -

and its a manual as well i wanted the auto but the fact i wrote my truck off and needed a car for £350 with 5 months MOT and 2 months tax i couldn't moan

- - - Updated - - -

i hear what your saying peter but its a nice little motor and i like having something random with power. like the 3.5 sd1 engine i slipped into a old 265 glt volvo estate. some are street sleepers some are just out and out toys

7. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

last car I bought at that price ended up being sold with over 300k miles on it for double what I paid for it.

managed 60k miles between services too :Tongue:

I really wanted to kill it and it just wouldn't die

I did put a set of £2k wheels on it though

IMG00078.

8. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I think you are right 50 to a tenner its got scrappy written all over it lol :Hey:you won't be hard pushed to get something quicker :Smile:

9. Askdean Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

is there something wrong on here i have done quick reply 4 times now and nothing appears lol

- - - Updated - - -

what the 1.8i supposed to get £10 of petrol in yours.

10. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

my 2.4 is getting 300ish to £75

so 100ish to £25

50 ish to £12.50

lay off the right peg :Smile:

11. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

well a tenner equates to approx. 2 gallon and you should get at least 40 average per gallon so 80 MPG higher if driving on m/ways so it depends on roads and the way it is driven that's all I know :Smile:

12. Askdean Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i think it might have something to do with half a tonne of tools and the whopping 15" 1400w sub in the boot lol and the slighty contagious case of lead foot

i got 187 miles on a run to grimbsy on half a tank when i picked the v40 rims up of ebay for £118 with 6-8mm of trad on a matching set of nice rubber on them as half the journey had the extra set of rims in the back with two of us in. i know it can be good. she keeps nagging me to put the lpg kit on it as its only 60p a litre near me

13. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Without wanting to cause upset...

I always wondered why those who wished to drive quickly, or have a faster vehicle then decided to carry around 20+kg of in car sound system.

#justsayin

14. Askdean Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete in the last one the sound system made no difference it had enough power to cope with the system in this as most of the time i have the missus and little one in the car we just love a good boogey as we plod along lol

but i know what you mean a 400 car with a 2000 stereo system in it

15. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

£2k

All i see there is tool/equipment money p*ssed up the wall.

Each to their own though, doubt my labrador would appreciate 30hz up his rectum on the daily drive

16. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I never check fuel but when I bought my Prelude 2.3 automatic it was a 250 mile drive home I topped it up £60 before I left and had 1 third tank left when I got home so work it out I can't be bothered :Happy:

17. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Anything like the tank in a 7th Generation - you had about 1.5 litres left when the needle was showing 1/3 of a tank :Tongue:

18. Askdean Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

no my car systems cost me £50 5 years ago when i built the truck got to love ebay lol

this ones was a stop gap that seems to be growing on me and she loves it more then her pug but thats not hard lol

- - - Updated - - -

I wish but then its a daily grind and i need the kit in the boot. to many years driving a vaxhaul to drive without enough tools to rebuild the thing lol

SpeedyGee and PeteMM like this.
  19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    In my 2.4 I can do 300 miles for about £35 :Smile:

20. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

yeah but you're running that gay gas stuff - is that not a pain in the hole. Having never run LPG, i always assume it takes up your entire boot, weighs a ton and you can never find a filling station that stocks it