Electrical & Lights Help with wiring Ignition Live Needed

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Dave, Saturday 30th Aug, 2014.

1. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm attempting to fit my auto dimming mirror, now I've found the 3 pin connector in the headlining which has the green reverse feed wire in it but the other is permanent live and not ignition live and then there is a black wire. As far as I can tell I need to run a wire down to the fuse box :Frown: That's straight forward enough but it's the whole getting the fusebox apart so I can connect to the wire on the back of fuse 21.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@CJ any ideas mate I was under the impression that the 3 pin plug was what the mirror plugs into, could it be a switched earth? I've not tested that yet!

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:SOS: @Ichiban :SOS:

(Doesn't gets flagged up with @CJ)

4. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ah thanks mate :Smile:

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I have nothing to suggest but @SpeedyGee is great with electrical problems in general. I'm watching this keenly as if you're successful I'll be following the same path :Smile:

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Dave no need to take the whole fusebox apart to get to the back of it. Just use a piggyback fuse holder like this :-

$_12.JPG

With this you simply pick a switched live fuse, you pull the out, push this thing in, put the fuse you took out into the bottom slot of the two slots you see in the picture and then add a an appropriate fuse for the new device you're adding.

Dave likes this.
  7. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ah thanks @SpeedyGee that's a brilliant piece of kit! I had wanted to wire it all up to the actual plug in the roof but looks like it's not going to happen.

8. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The wires in the roof are:

Red/White Constant 12V
    Green
    Black

The green is the reverse wire but it's not coming live when the car goes into reverse.

So I'm going to use the piggyback connector to connect to fuse 21 which is the fuse for the auto mirror and have earthed to a bolt in the roof. Currently I'm unable to make the mirror disable the dimming function when the car goes into reverse, can't see it being much of a problem though.

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That might be down to a loom difference as yours isn't an Exec. If you get the time to do the full write-up, I'll be the first one to follow it :Smile:

10. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah it's really straight forward, my biggest concern was the windscreen mount but luckily mine was the right one for the mirror. They seem to differ everywhere you look and from what I can see the genuine Honda one has a torx screw to lock the mirror tight to the mount but my mount is not drilled to take it and neither is the mirror.

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well pictures at the end will tell me if I like the look of it or not :Laughing: To be honest it's more the modding itch for more gadgets than any reason to really need one, I have got rear window tints after all :Whistle:

12. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It was that or tinted windows for me and I was worried that the dogs might damage the tint and this was only £20 too, I like me gadgets as well. You can go full OEM look with it too as you can buy the genuine Honda fitting kit which comes with everything including the trims that hide the wire but I think it's pretty expensive. Although gentex do sell these as well but it's sourcing them in the UK that's the problem.

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I haven't had an issue with my dogs and tint, one of them is quite hyper in the car at times. I might have to look into that, though it's not a big priority for me at all.

I do like to have my nearside mirror pointed low to the ground though so that often blinds me :Laughing:

14. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not the best picture due to the sun but gives you an idea.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409516916.448771.

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Not bad, looks pretty stock, can't really tell from the pic how well it goes with the rest of the interior mind. Are the buttons "Off" and "Auto"?

16. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah the buttons are off and auto. I will try get a better picture when I'm home at the weekend. I have to say this morning on the way to work dark and raining and it was brilliant so much better! Not quite sure you'll get any benefit with tints as the light sensor probably won't pickup the headlights behind you.