Engine & Gearbox Hesitation in higher gears between 1500 and 2000rpm

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Rpthompson, Monday 15th Feb, 2016.

1. Rpthompson Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rich Long Eaton
    Hi all,
    I've owned a 1.6 CR-V for two months and have been a bit disappointed particularly when cruising on motorways at between 65 and 70mph in top gear at 2000rpm.
    Often when I ease off and reapply power to maintain a gap, there is a noticeable hesitation. If I'm travelling at 55 or 75 there is no hesitation. I get the same issue when cruising in 4th or 5th gear at the same RPM. There are no warning lights and I use shell or bp premium diesel. It was 12 months old when I bought it and had done over 15000 miles as a rental car so mileage wise I think it had been kept busy. It does 350 miles a week for my commute so it's getting a decent run each day down the motorway. It's under warranty but I suspect that if I take it to a garage they won't find anything wrong. Is it an EGR issue or something that a software remap could solve? I'm getting 50mpg which is a bit less than I was hoping for but the hesitation is getting on my nerves. Please help if you've had this problem and it was fixed! Don't want to have to 'live with it'. Thanks, Rich

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Don't give up so easily Rich ! It's under warranty so take it back to the dealer. It does sound like an EGR issue, could be a whole host of other things too though.

Best get it into a dealer and see what they find for starters.

Please do keep us posted.

FirstHonda likes this.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

As @SpeedyGee says, if it is under warranty then take it back. If you know exactly when the hesitation occurs it should be fairly easy for the garage to replicate the issue and offer a solution. You'd hope so, anyway!

Based on a few threads, I think 50mpg sounds pretty good for the 1.6 I-DTEC...is it manual or auto (assume manual from your post?)

http://hondakarma.com/threads/fuel-economy.18432/live

4. Rpthompson Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's a manual.

I've seen one or two threads talking about the same issue but there was no resolution. Hope to give Honda as much info as possible; EG only happens below 2000rpm when engine warmed up. SpeedyGee, what else could I tell them to check?

5. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Are you running around with ECO on? It can take awhile to pick up, especially if you're using Cruise Control also.

6. Rpthompson Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Usually drive with econ and cruise deactivated. Problem occurs when applying gentle throttle at or just below 2000rpm. I used cruise and econ this morning set at 58mph and no jolts.

7. Rpthompson Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Digging up my old thread; I had the car serviced last week at Vertu Honda dealer and they couldn't make it hesitate, but they took the throttle position sensor out and checked it - no fault found. The hesitation isn't a massive inconvenience anymore, I won't happen if you lift off the power completely and reapply power, and I haven't noticed it when cruise control is active. It only seems to occur if you ease off but maintain some pressure on the pedal - and then apply more pressure (at 1500 to 2000rpm in the higher gears) - so unless I break down I won't be pursuing it any further. I was fobbed off with a tale about running lean for a few seconds which may be true but could more likely bull - surely if it was true other people would have picked up on it. Honest John's HR-V 1.6 doesn't do it.

What was more annoying from going to the dealer instead of a local garage down the road from where I work as that I asked the dealer to fix a squeaky clutch pedal and squeaky brakes (both way more annoying than the hesitation when you're in a traffic jam) which they said they had - but clearly haven't.

They used 5w30 oil instead of 0w30 which I know isn't a big deal given that its summer and I don't live in Siberia etc. The fact is the manual says use 0w30 and if thats not available use 5w. I could easily have bought some online and left it with them - its not rocking horse poo. Again I was just fobbed me off 'we always use 5w30'.

You get a complimentary car wash and vac but when I picked it up they hadn't hoovered the boot - why? well someone apparently complained in the past that their personal belongings had been disturbed while their car was in and apparently they took exception to this. I emptied all the crap out my boot so they could hoover it and they didn't mention this policy when I dropped the car off.

Anything else? yes, the car feels slower - and when I asked about updating the sat nav map (because the display says a new map is out), that costs £175 apparently... So I probably won't leave the car there again - courtesy car (16-plate Jazz) was rubbish.

Rant over :Wink:

8. Explorador Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Spain Javier Cádiz
    I bet for the EGR in the change opening/closing..just a possibility.

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    That Honda dealer sounds terrible. I'm particularly surprised about the explanation that your diesel 'may be running lean for a few seconds'... were those words actually uttered by a mechanic? I'd be horrified if my diesel wasn't running lean!

While it's true that use of 5w-30 isn't a major issue, it does demonstrate penny-pinching. And - If they don't follow the official recommendations for the oil - what other Honda servicing recommendations are they not following?

FirstHonda likes this.
  10. Rpthompson Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The lean quote came from the salesman behind the desk via the mechanic I spoke to when dropping it off.

In their defense they did claim to have tested the TPS and it was fine apparently. If it becomes worse I'll have the EGR tested/cleaned - it's up to 26,100 miles and 18 months old.

11. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've just booked my car in for its first service and I'm not taking it to my nearest dealer 5miles away, but to another 20 miles away for this exact reason. There, the service adviser checked her notes and confirmed 0W-30 Castrol when I asked what oil they used. She couldn't say what the ACEA Spec was, but I'll double check on the day.

FirstHonda and Zebster like this.
  12. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I'd say or think it's indeed caused by the eco setting. In an Insight e.g. the throttle does not react if you do not push the pedal deep enough with Econ on.

13. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Reading between the lines I would say it's Easter driving style. Loading the engine up in a higher gear and wanting instant acceleration. I've driven quite a few now and find a certain amount of lag a typical trait of these engines. This would be the single turbo 1.6 D I presume? The latest CR-V 1.6 D has a twin stage turbo which helps to reduce lag as much as possible. I presume to counter what customers found with the previous engine set up
    - - - Updated - - -
    Edit : stupid auto correct on iPad! Try your best to make sense how Easter got in there? But at 2 k revs in 6th you will not get instant acceleration until the turbo spools up and revs pick up. You need to drop down a gear!

i-DSI and legend-ary like this.
  14. Explorador Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Spain Javier Cádiz
    If this is the case..green arrows are bad advisors. Never trust them.

15. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    The manual states clearly that you should NOT follow the green arrows in cases where you need the power e.g. to get on the highway.
    The green arrows are only there to optimise your fuel consumption. Not to optimise comfort, performance, etc....
    If you decide to follow the green arrows, you will get almost certain the lowest possible fuel consumption.

SpeedyGee, Ichiban and Explorador like this.