Introductions Hey! Bought 2004 2.2CTDi estate last friday....Turbo problem already? :(

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by elevate, Wednesday 2nd Oct, 2013.

1. elevate Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi forum,
    Just signed up. Bought a 2004 Honda Accord Tourer 2.2CDTi last week on 128k

Drove really well when test driving, recent oil and air filter change plus a new battery. About 8 stamps in the book but no receipts so not really sure what has been done previously. Was smooth through the gears.

Covered around 200 miles already over the weekend with no problems mostly motorway driving and the turbo seemed ok. Then driving home from work yesterday I accelerated away in 1st got to about 12mph ready to change into 2nd and the car seemed to check itself (no more power) and the malfunction indicator light came on. It seemed like the turbo wouldn't fire at all. I (perhaps stupidly) carried on and could drive ok....up to 40mph in 4th gear and I got home (20mile journey).

So the symptoms are that in first gear it'll get up to 12mph and won't go any faster, the turbo doesn't kick in at all. You can go through the gears but the power seems limited.

It feels like the engine has detected a problem (loss of pressure? leak?) and is not allowing the turbo to fire

I haven't had a chance to have it looked at yet. I'm going to call the dealer I bought it from and explain the problem and ask him to sort it out. He has given me a 3 month gold warranty (warranty direct - part of auto trader?) on the car so will probably direct me to them.

I'm in North London so just wanted to say hello, explain my issue and see if anyone would have any first port of call advice. I haven't driven the car since, I turned it over again last night to see if the warning light still came on and it did so, I didn't drive it.

Anyone know of any decent mechanics/garages in the North London area?

Cheers! Alex

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to AOC Elevate.

When was the last service done ? I wonder if they used a non genuine fuel filter. These have been known to give issues.
    Is the check engine light on ?

As you have warranty from the dealer you bought it off, best to let that dealer sort it out.

3. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Most likely a fuel rather than turbo issue i would say.

You need your Engine ECU checked for fault codes.

4. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    agree with above, if car don't rev over 2k it's in limp mode so it sounds like low fuel pressure which mostly means that your fuel filter needs to be changed, remember to use OEM part as our ctdi are very sensitive on that point.

5. elevate Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the tips.

I've also a few times experienced smelling fuel fumes in the cab and a bit of online research is suggesting this could be a cracked exhaust manifold?

Definitely been sold a dud here :Blushing:

6. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    fumes may indicate that it's cracked manifold, unfortunately you're outside extended warranty ( 7 years or 120k ), but not necessary,copper seals under injectors may also caused smelly fumes in the cab.

7. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Manifold can be welded so no real need to buy a new one if your budget is tight.

8. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Definitely contact the dealer, warranty or not they should be sorting it

9. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Hey bud

Welcome to AOC and sorry to hear your woes.. Get on the phone to that dealer.. Have you filled her up at the likes of Tesco? I had this issue some time back and it was crud from cheap pants tesco diesel. Changed fuel filter and fuel and good as gold. Personaly I don't bother with supermarkets any more. If you do change the fuel filter go with genuine Honda part not after market or even the Bosch filter and you shouldnt have any more probs..

Oil - change it often!! your engine and cam chain will thank you in the long run and go 0-30 fully syn ONLY can be had here on the site very cheap and dead easy DIY job :Thumbup:

Good luck and keep us posted.

10. elevate Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,
    An update.

I contacted the warranty company and they sent me to a garage that couldn't diagnose the fault (£65 diagnosis fee) so they sent me to the main Honda garage in the area (Bayley in Enfield)

Honda found that the exhaust manifold is cracked hence the fumes in the cab and that the glow plug relays need replacing. The 'gold' 3-month warranty issued with the car won't cover any of this work. The Honda warranty covers the manifold up to 125k but my car has done 128k so they won't replace the manifold. All the work comes to £1120 (parts & labour). They've told me not to drive it because of the fumes.

I've just got off the phone to the dealer explained everything and he hasn't been particularly sympathetic. He's not prepared to pay for the repair or issue a refund. I quoted all the sale of goods act stuff, vehicle not of satisfactory quality and not fit for purpose etc.. The dealer is some miles away so I haven't gone over there with the car.

I suppose my next step is to put it in writing that I want a refund, then seek legal advice? Small claims/County court etc..?

Has anyone had to do this before? Any tips appreciated.
    Cheers!
    Alex

11. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Not had this before but in your shoes I'd be talking to citizens advice and trading standards, They should let you know where you stand and what route to follow next.

12. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Any updates with this issue mate?

13. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

did you buy it private or dealer, most dealers will have a min 30 day warranty and don't want bad press