General Hey guys help me out please I need honest advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Primarycare, Tuesday 12th Feb, 2013.

1. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Hi all,

I have a 2005 Diesel Exec with 84 k on the clock. Nice car and been a great motor but my milage has now dropped to about 13-14k roughly a year and I am seriously wondering if it is worth keeping the old girl.

She has never missed a beat until today when I filled her up and within 10 miles the dreaded glow plug light flashes up and she won't rev over 2k. I suspect the filter although I change it at Honda frequently - last done two months ago. Will have to have her in for a fix later this week. (crapy Tesco fuel prob)

Any way that aside what could I get for mine? 1 previous owner full Honda history and very regular oil changes, I do them every 3/4 k with new filter so engine is sweet as a nut bar the filter (I suspect) problem which will be sorted

Heres the thing I can not stretch to a 8th Generation :Sobbing: so a 7th Generation petrol will have to do. I have seen this one (hope these load)

honda-accord-saloon-2-0-i-vtec-type-s-4dr-99892890-640x480. honda-accord-saloon-2-0-i-vtec-type-s-4dr-99892892-640x480. honda-accord-saloon-2-0-i-vtec-type-s-4dr-99892899-640x480. honda-accord-saloon-2-0-i-vtec-type-s-4dr-99892902-640x480.

A 2006 Type-S shame no leather but is in very good order hardly a mark on it with 58k miles (is that good?) and 1 owner full Honda history. Looks factory spec to me nothing special but I kinda like it over the Exec despite the lack of leather. Dealer is asking £5400 and has offered £3000 for mine. Is that a fair price? for both mine and this car? Color he says is blue but looks more silver ish. Economy I have no idea but Im sure I will get no ware close to the baby I have now. What do you think? can't get him to budge on price sad to say but the Type-S seems quite hard to pick up. A tourer would have been ideal but can't find a 2L other than sport which kinda does not float my boat. Push comes to shove I have a genuine Honda top box so can look the family man bit :Smile: very much split at the mo and a little disappointed I can't get much for mine which is a very clean car.

Last edited: Tuesday 12th Feb, 2013
  2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Personally I'd keep your current car.
    The fault does sound like a fuel filter prob.
    You know your car has been looked after and the Type-S is only a year younger.
    I think 3k is probably right as trade in considering the car is coming up to 8 years.

3. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

My tuppence for what it's worth (probably nowt LOL) = brim it with Shell, BP or Texaco as soon as there's any room at all in the tank & then keep diluting the supermarket brew, use only those 3 from now on, resolve the glow plug issue, and then have a longer think over the next few weeks. The 8th Generation will drop in price significantly soon when it's no longer current and from what I hear it's well worth holding on for.

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I tend to agree with Rob and Cliff.Keep your car,sort that little niggle out and it hopefully will serve you well.
    Buy an 8th Generation when it falls in your budget.

5. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'd try and resolve the problem with your car first. Its a reasonable deal, but you still have to find £2400, and its another 7th Generation.

I'd think you would lose that £2400 almost straight away, most of its dealer mark up, also its a petrol version which few people want, and 7th Generation values are going down faster now 8th gens are around used.

As the guys say the 8th gens are getting down around £6-7k now, especially petrol ones, or high mileage diesel ones. I paid £8k for my 58 reg 2.0 petrol tourer with 62k on the clock, last year.

6. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks all for the replies. Dropped the old girl off at local dealer tonight they said will try and have a look by Friday.

Don't have much confidence in them nice place but no HH

will see what they come back to me with.
    Stuck with driving the wife subaru till then.
    Nice car to be fair

Again thanks will keep you posted on diagnosis !

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Keith I would jump to this news and say get rid of the coughing machine, I would like to convert all weasel engine owners to petrol!!

However a glow plug DTC is hardly earth moving for that sort of change. it could be the fuel heater or the glow plug relay.

Get the code and we will have you on the road sharpish on all weasel cylinders.

8. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oi don't start!!!!!!!

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Oh sorry :Blushing:just being honest olive branch and all :SOS:

10. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hey CJ

If I didn't know better I would say you were a little bit anti oil burners :Smile:

Must admit the old girl going into flaccid model did cause my heart to skip a couple of beats and ones buttocks to clench involuntary at the expectation of the main dealer saying wallet out bend over and assume the position . I don't have HH down here and loyalty and looking after customers is DEF not high on Avonvale's agenda. First question on dropping the car off was "how are you going to pay" I don't like that none to much but no choice..

I do like that Type-S though just no leather... and I can't see me topping 13k this year so is it time to sell and look at a nice 7th Generation petrol or just save some more and look at a 8th Generation prob save and look at a 8th Generation

CJ your fault for scaring the bejesus out of me when I first got my Honda oil burner been 100% paranoid about the chain but then you were right about frequency of oil change don't think with me it has ever gone over 4k without an oil and filter change..
    Wise men embrace the oil burners you know you love them really :Smile:

Last edited: Tuesday 12th Feb, 2013
  11. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Does the oil REALLY need to be changed that frequently?

12. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

6k is a good frequency to change the oil. 4k the engine will love.
    The diesels really benefit from regular oil changes, mine is so much quieter after afterwards.

13. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I have recentlly had my 2004 Accord Tourer EX ICTDI -in silver- taken in part ex for my new CR-V. Had the Tourer from new and been serviced yearly by my Honda dealer. Lovely car with pristine bodywork and apart from the motorised tailgate issue when it was new has been perfect. I got £3.000 for it.

14. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The diesels do seem to like fresh oil as do Turbos.. This car always runs quieter and smoother on fresh oil. I buy 25 L at a time and its cheap as chips from this site delivered to my door.. For the slight cost I wouldn't risk leaving any oil in the engine fro 12.5 k.. With my bikes I have always changed oil at least every 3k and never had a chain problem with them, hope same will apply to my car.

15. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The general consensus amongst taxi drivers locally is every 10k and that's all stop start driving and my old 09 superb is now north of 100k with no issues.
    I would have thought that even 6k is over cautious. Having said that mind, 6k is probably a years driving in the wife's car so once a year doesn't sound so bad :Smile:

16. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

An oil change is a lot cheaper than a new engine or turbo.

I would buy in 25l barrels and do my own changes at home, making it even cheaper, if I was a Taxist.

Once the car was out of warranty of course.

17. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Exactly what I do takes 20 mins tops to do. Very easy for any DIY'er to do. Buying the oil from here dramaticly reduces the costs to. I have 2 25 L tubs in the garage now.

18. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

The Honda worldwide service schedule (excluding EU) for my 7th Generation specifies oil changes every 6250 miles normal use and 3125 miles severe use.

They define severe as one or more of:-

- driving less than 5 miles a trip, or in freezing temperatures, less than 10 miles a trip

- driving in extremely hot conditions, over 35 C

- extensive idling or long periods of stop-and-go driving

- trailer towing, driving with a roof rack, or driving in mountainous conditions

- driving on muddy, dusty or de-iced roads.

The EU Schedule however specifies 12500 miles normal and 6250 miles severe.

Is Europe so much friendlier on cars than outside Europe?

Or is it more a case of being friendlier to fleet service managers' servicing budgets?

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Toyota diesel at set at 10000 miles service! its a Japanese thing to get the car serviced frequently but european cars set theirs at 20k miles and higher.

So statistical speaking we know Japanese cars have always been reliable where are the european cars on the list ..bottom

its as simple as that.

20. jaywood Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brands
    I would grab the petrol over an oil burner everytime. Had a PD130 Golf from new back on 02, with the extra cost of diesel (unless you can get red) which due to supply and demand pricing will increase more than amber nectar, the extra noise and vibration just makes them offputting to me. Reliable engines ruined by draconion emissions.
    The newest lumps from ford are 3pot petrol ones that are quoted at 70+ MPG..
    And make over 200 horses.
    The future is petrol.