ICE & HFT HFT (again!)

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by justlooking, Sunday 23rd Nov, 2014.

1. justlooking Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi all, annoying problem with my HFT, searched a bit but can't find the same issue on here. Menu system all works ok, Diagnostic mode returns an "OK", but my HFT will just not pair.... None of the phones I've tried can see it, and it can't see my phones. Don't really want to gamble on buying a module from a breaker @ £200, and no way am I paying for a new one. Amy ideas what to try next? Module is off the car for now.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have you done the HFT diagnostics ? if that is clear then your module has failed. new one is approx £750

3. justlooking Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

cheers, thought as much yes I've done the self diagnostic and that said the system is OK so I guess is off to the breakers or ebay for another module. Thanks :Smile:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah don't expect the breakers one to last long too either as these HFT modules were all made within the same time, so it will fail pretty quickly. is it worth the £200.00 quid ?

5. justlooking Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah you're probably right. just a nice thing to have really. I was going to to get an xcarlink or similar, maybe I'll just get the bluetooth gear for that, although I guess it'll only interrupt the aux, not the radio or CD

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I know I have been wanting to do this for sometime I am going to pull my HFT unit out and see hat repairs can be done to it. Next month I will have loads of time for this.

7. justlooking Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm going to have a go at repairing mine - I found a fantastic thread in the US regarding this and many other HFT issues with various Acura models using the same or similar units (They call it HFL though).

http://acurazine.com/forums/audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/bluetooth-fails-792642/page1/

Popular trick is to bake the unit in the oven (believe it or not!) to kind of "repair" dodgy solder joints that have been there since day one due to poor manufacturing methods

A couple of people have replaced capacitors, a couple of others have just taken apart the two connected boards inside the unit and got in there with loads of contact cleaner.

I'll try the contact cleaner first, then I'm going to give baking it a go - nothing to lose I guess!

A few people have even had goodwill payments out of Acura probably because of tougher consumer laws in the US. No chance in the UK I reckon.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah that was the same procedure mate. GOGW on HFT over here no way mate, as they all died after the warranty expired.

9. justlooking Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bizarrely, having the unit off the car for a few weeks, and maybe disconnecting and reconnecting the circuit boards inside it, may have done the trick - I'm under no illusion that this is anything other than temporary, but, for now, we have Bluetooth yay!