ICE & HFT HFT Intermitent Problem

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by halder, Wednesday 12th Feb, 2014.

1. halder Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

I have tried searching the forums for any positive notes on this problem with my HFT but to no avail. Either that or I just cannot for the life of me use the advanced search options.

My problem is that my HFT System is dead as in no beep when you press the button but it sometimes comes on and I can get it to work temporarily.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could the problem be.?

I have removed all old phones from the system and done the diagnostics when it is working and it says it is fine but that is when it is working. Obviously when its is not working the button press does nothing. So I am abit stuck.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Many Thanks in Advance....

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    In a nut shell the CAN communication has stop working and the HFT module needs a reset. if you remove the top cover where the central LED are above the air vents.

You will see a black box with a pink slip with made in Mexico :Ermm:on it remove the green connector and then reconnected after 30 seconds and retry.

Top Tip
    DO NOT use screwdrivers to pry open the top lid you will damage the lids or the dashboard. When fitting the top lid back make sure you have good lighting to see all the locator pins line up before securing it in place. Use a suitable trim removal plastic tool or even a thin metal strip to get in between the gaps. or you buy your self the correct tool like this 8th Generation Accord Tourer How to remove speaker grill (ICE & HFT - )

How many miles has your car covered and are you a heavy HFT user.? Do the reset and let me know.

3. halder Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi ichiban thanks for the advice I shall give it a try at the weekend when I have more available natural light and let you know how I get on.
    Would disconnecting the battery do anything to help at all?

Oh and no I don't really use it alot maybe 5 or 6 times a week. And I have a 57 plate diesel estate ex with 90 tho on the clock full honda service history.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Disconnecting the battery will do the same as above rest procedure however removing power mean setting the time,resetting the auto function on the driver windows,sat nav will need basic config & radio channels will need rescanning.. you can avoid all this but targeting what you need.:Wink:

Now If you are comfortable to take on more work then you chose which reset procedure works for you bud.

The reason I know so much about this subject is you and I are in the same boat... I have come to the conclusion the shelve life of this HFT unit is 6-7 year tops no matter how much you use it. Mine is draining 0.2 amps of current even not in use.. leave the car for a 8-10 days it will drain the battery and you car won't crank which lead you to think the battery needs replacing when it doesn't. Diesel have bigger batteries so even if your HFT has develops a parasitic drain it can easily last two weeks before it discharges the battery to get your attention.

Now for the bad news if your car has developed a drain caused by this HFT module then disconnecting is the first port of call and get ready to spend near to £900.00 or a brand new part..second hand parts will not last personally they too are on borrowed time.

I am working on a solution if i cure it all of you will be the first to know.

5. halder Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Ichiban,
    Thanks for your responce I went for the direct reset of the unit it itself only took a few minutes after gently prizing the lid off!
    But im affraid to no avail still not working guess i shall take my chances on a second hand one as I am definately not going to spent the hundreds required for a new one.
    Im just one of those guys if there is something not working I have to fix it.
    Thanks for the help and advice ohh and let me know if you crack it.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Keeps us posted with the repairs. atleast you know where you stand with it.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bump for all FL 7th Generation cars owners if your HFT has stopped working and your battery is dead constantly read this thread.

8. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi cj
    Thank goodness haven't got a problem with my Jazz HFT but should it develop one obviously would like a fix. Have you anymore info on this problem that MAY be waiting in the wings.
    Thanks
    Rick

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Rick, I am experimenting with a few other options which I want to keep under wraps at the moment until I have nailed the issue totally.

As soon as I have the fix I will let you all know.

10. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi cj
    Sounds good.
    Rick

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @halder its been some time we heard from you what ever happened? another one how done a runner.LOL

12. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    CJ mine's pretty much dead. Phone won't see it anymore, buttons don't do anything. Even when there was intermittent bluetooth connection it wouldn't pair. I've read somewhere about a guy fixing it. Let me see if I can dig it out.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah put the HFT circuit board in the oven for the solders to get a good contact , the lead free solders over time have poor connection.