ICE & HFT HFT Issues?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by stratos, Friday 15th Jan, 2016.

1. stratos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Worcs
    I have read on several threads a while ago whilst trying to sort out my fuse box issue that the HFT system is prone to falling over and not worth fixing.
    I now have such a problem but not sure if I'm at that stage where I need to replace it with a Parrot.
    At present, It works but only when it wants to. Maybe two attempts out of ten will work when I try to make a call, all other times I just hear a message saying no phone can be found - even when the phone is sat in the centre console.
    I have checked the Bluetooth on the phone and have paired it several times now with the car but to no avail. I have also noticed that the Bluetooth connection on the phone to the car is going on & off as I watch when I try to use the HFT.
    So not sure if this is actually a phone issue or a HFT issue??

Can anyone help or know if it sounds like a typical HFT issue??

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It would be worth disconnecting the battery for at least 5 minutes and seeing if this resets things.

3. stratos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Worcs
    No, still no good!

4. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Definitely sounds like the all common HFT issue.
    You had similar symptoms as mine.

if you have access to a reflow oven you can try to reflow the HFT unit PCB (one with the bluetooth chip)
    Rumour has it is that this FPGA chip gets unsoldered and causes intermittent connections.
    I have also read people put this PCB in the oven in order to reflow it

I have installed a Parrot CK3000 unit and disconnected the HFT. Although i was gutted the OEM HFT died on me the simple Parrot offers voice tag calling and works so much better.

5. stratos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Worcs
    Totally agree about the Parrot, much better, it uses your own phone book and also tells you who is calling!!
    However, I have installed my Parrot in my wife's car and don't have a death wish in getting it back!!
    Where is this HFT unit so that I can check it out??

6. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Have a look here - this may help
    http://hondakarma.com/guides/honda-hfs-bluetooth-repair.1266/

To find the HFT unit, you need to remove the top lid cover of the centre console.
    This xcarlink guide will help show you how to remove the top lid centre dash cover .
    The unit is a small black box with a large green connector plugged into it
    http://hondakarma.com/guides/xcarlink-mp3-unit-install.16/

I actually have the cheapo parrot - without the screen. Just a simple no frills version.
    didnt want too much of impact within the interior. Installed here in the ash tray section which looks tidy and OEM looking

IMAG0033_zpsz965cfw0.

7. stratos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Worcs
    Is it the box with the pink label on it? If so, I wondered what that was.

8. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yep thats the one

9. stratos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Worcs
    Cheers, that's a job for the weekend!!
    You're not an expert in adding auxiliary devices to the Accord radio are you?? (The answer is yes!!).
    I'm trying to add a stealth DAB tuner which requires AV inputs. I've managed to get the display to work on the screen but I cannot get any sound. I bought the Connects2 box for that which connects into a spare white socket in the back of the radio but it does nothing??
    Do you know how to add the Red & White AV connections to my radio?? I have the sat nav + multi CD radio.

10. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

No worries. Glad i could help.
    Expert? nah, not really. lol. I think most thanks goes to the members on here. Most of the info and and how too's are from other members.
    Not to familiar with your DAB setup. Actually not heard of anyone adding DAB to a 7th Generation accord before although wouldn't mind knowing as the radio performance in the 7th Generation is pretty poor.
    What is actually displayed on your stereo screen?

11. stratos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Worcs
    The DAB tuner is the 'CKO V2' box which is highly recommended but requires AV connections. When connected up, the sat nav screen changes to show the DAB screen when the tuner is turned on. You can see all the stations and what is currently playing on each station, only I cannot hear anything. Of the AV inputs required, I seem to have the video (yellow) connection working but not the Red & White (audio) ones. Not as easy as I thought!!

12. stratos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Worcs
    I have tried to refresh the soldered joints to remove the possibility of dry joints but to no avail.
    Not sure which chip the Bluetooth one is??
    At present, my phone is connected for just 4 seconds before being disconnected for 12 seconds, then connected again then disconnected again - and so on and so on.

:disagree:

13. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

If you click on this click and scroll down a bit there are some images of the PCB board of the HFT unit.
    The bluetooth chip is annotated. Its an FPGA chip so it would be impossible to manually solder this unless you reflow it in a reflow oven.

The symptoms does show the HFT unit has had it.
    I would be looking at alternatives i.e. parrot systems as the HFT OEM unit in the accord is not worth it to repair in my opinion.

14. stratos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Worcs
    Yes, I agree, Parrot's cheaper and more reliable than the HFT version. More user friendly too as it tells you who's calling you.
    Cheers.

Any thoughts on my other project?? (see above).

15. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I had a brief look at the manual of your DAB unit.
    Have you ensured the correct source is selected on the remote? press source on remote to change the source type.
    Other than that i can't see any reason why the audio isn't working. I know DAB radios require a very strong signal. They do require external antennas i.e. shark tail fin type aerials for the best performance. The accord has its aerial built into the rear window i think and DAB radio don't tend to work very well with those.

16. stratos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Worcs
    Yes, aerial fitted - decent Kinetics one. Can receive over 50 stations with a good signal. Will have another play tomorrow but it must be something to do with the Connects2 box as it does not break into the car radio/CD audio. The Connects2 box (CTVHOX002) suitable for Honda's with Sat Nav but it says not suitable for the multi CD player. I didn't know that Honda did an OEM sat nav without multi CD.

17. stratos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Worcs

Tried it again and have nearly 70 stations. Still no sound and it can only be the Connects2 box as I connected a separate source to it and nothing happened. The source button on the remote control just switches the screen between the DAB tuner and a DVB-t tuner if fitted. Will need to source another way/idea to connect the two AV signals (red & white) to the OE radio/CD player.

18. stratos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Worcs

Attached Files:

Accord_N22 and Ichiban like this.
  19. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thats pretty awesome having DAB in the 7th Generation.
    I would be interested to hear if you get the system working.

20. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I would like to see a guide how you did it @stratos to help other people

Nels likes this.