Electrical & Lights HFT Module problems

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by NeilY, Saturday 5th Apr, 2014.

1. NeilY Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Neil Burgess hill
    Hi all just wondered if anyone could answer a question for me.

If you have a faulty HFT Module which is draining your battery, is it possible to just disconnect it or would doing this bugger up the SAT NAV etc ?

Just wondering if possibly this could b the answer to not constantly flattening the battery without spending hundreds of £££ on a new module.

Cheers

Neil

2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    It is possible to just disconnect the HFT module and the Sat nav will will still work.

What makes you think this is causing the power drain?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes you can disconnect the HFT module and you won't affect the operation of the sat nav in anyway.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Doc when the HFT module fails it causes a parasitic drain on the battery causing a gentle discharge and if you don't use the car a lot it will get the volts so low it won't have sufficient cranking power. Then people put a new battery thinking its a bad battery when the parasitic drain has not been fixed.

By disconnecting it the module it will stop it.

Doc and Nels like this.
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Didn't know that.

Does that mean there are other devices/units that have the same parasitic effect?

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Not that's widely regarded as a fault to the best of my knowledge. CJ mentioned to me last night that the HFT module has a lifespan of around 7-8 years and then they're known to fail. I haven't even tested mine out yet to see if it works, luckily I'm still under a used warranty either way.

7. NeilY Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Neil Burgess hill
    Thanks for that guys will try disconnecting it and see if that sorts it. Will let u know.

Also have fitted & re bled the new rear brake calipers now, car feels miles better now. The old ones were proper knackered, pistons were very rusty due to the rubber boots being damaged, causing the brakes to seize on.

Will make a big difference to the MPG I would imagine as we were getting about 25 to 28 MPG :-/

Cheers

Neil

8. NeilY Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Neil Burgess hill
    Hi all thanks for all the helpful info, HFT module is now disconnected so will see if this solves the battery drain problem :Smile: will keep u posted

Cheers

Neil

Ichiban and DeviateDefiant like this.
  9. NeilY Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Neil Burgess hill
    Oh by the way replacing the knackered rear brake callipers took the motorway mileage from about 28/30 MPG up to 49/53 MPG :Smile: a pretty good increase & a lot less expense

Happy boy now !!!

Ichiban and SpeedyGee like this.
  10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Good to hear things are getting sorted, can't believe the difference the rear callipers made alone! :GoodJob:

11. NeilY Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Neil Burgess hill
    Hi all just to let u know, disconnecting the HFT module has sorted the battery drain problem, have had no starting probs for two weeks now.

Thanks for all your help guys

Cheers

Neil

SpeedyGee and Ichiban like this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good stuff, a lot people sell the car at this point thinking there is a major electrical fault :Niceone: and get rid.

13. NeilY Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Neil Burgess hill
    Trouble is most garages have no kin idea of what they r looking for & patronise you saying you have probably left the lights on or you have a knackered battery !!!

Glad I stuck with it cos I really like the car, I'm probably gonna have a Bluetooth hands free fitted as it's well cheaper than a new HFT as I'm lead to believe they are in the region of £600 to £700 from the main dealer :-/

Hope anyone that reads this try's disconnecting their HFT module.

It's only a five minute job

All you need to do is remove the upper part of the console above the sat nav, the bit with the heating vents in it, in the bottom outer corner of each vent there is a small clip that u can fit a medium sized flat screwdriver into, put one in each side and slide the whole upper console forward.

The HFT is the unit directly behind this console it has two green plugs into the left hand side of it, disconnect these & bobs your uncle probably problem solved

Put it all back together & feel mega relieved once you realise u have sorted it !!!!!! :Smile:

Cheers

Neil

14. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
  15. NeilY Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Neil Burgess hill
    If you look right in the bottom of the left & right vents in the outer edge you will see a quite small rectangular hole

Get two medium sized screwdrivers which are a good fit into the holes & push them in a fair way on both sides

If they are in correctly you will be able to slide the whole upper consol forwards towards you by putting one hand as far towards the windscreen as you can & gently pulling the whole thing towards you

Hope this helps & good luck

Neil

16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Is this what you're after?
    No. 8 - snap clips, and No.19, hold the vent section in.
    You can use screwdrivers, but I would recommend plastic/nylon trim removal tools.

B__3711.

Trim tools.

17. NeilY Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Neil Burgess hill
    Yep no 8 is the clip I was talking about, only said use screwdrivers as saw this in another post.

Plastic tools would probably b better as you say but I only had screwdrivers, but u r correct in what u r saying as u do have to be careful as I said, but worked ok for me.

Here's

Neil

18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

No criticism intended.
    You can release the unit with screwdrivers.

Before I got the trim removal tools, that's all I had too.
    Now I've got them, I think they are really useful, and for less than £5, money well spent.

Cheers,
    JD

19. NeilY Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Neil Burgess hill
    Don't worry m8 that's cool none taken

:Smile: neil

20. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Looking into the vents, can't see anything :Frown: Maybe I am looking at it but not knowing how it's supposed to look like ...