ICE & HFT HFT & TMC - Computer says no!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by StuH, Monday 28th Mar, 2016.

1. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    After trying numerous times to connect my phone it's a non-starter. I've done the diagnostics and it said no problems, or something along those lines, in two languages! My phone doesn't find the car either.

TMC always red. Had a look at the unit in the diagnostic screen and whilst the field strength is 10 the rest of the values are 0. It is a genuine disc. Didn't check if TA was switched on, does it have an on/off?

Oh yeah, post code now full post code unlike my last car, but no building numbers?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    what version of sat nav dvd have you got?

3. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

3.90 I think. There's two others in the car, the previous owner liked his latest maps!

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    genuine discs? what phone have you got ? have looked at the pairing sequence there is a guide here.

5. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Yes, genuine, seen the invoices. It's a Sony xperia z3. I've tried the pairing sequence, I get to the point that it says its searching for a phone and then.....nowt.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    May be the HFT unit is duff 8 year old car they have a habit of popping after 6 years. The only thing you can do know is remove negative lead from the battery and retry.

If that does not help then you better disconnect the HFT module otherwise it will drain your battery and you will be stranded regularly .

7. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Okay. I have had the neg off when I did the reversing sensors. I'll do a search on disconnecting it though no sign of a battery drain yet.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    you will have it leave the car for 5 days it will be dead.. I would remove the cable. HFT Intermitent Problem (ICE & HFT - )

9. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Now you got me all paranoid! Will have to unplug it tomorrow. probably take it out and have a poke inside I think.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You will have piece of mind mate, don't want your love relationship with your new motor to die overnight would we :Smile:

11. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Five minutes and the little Mexican blighter is out. The dash on the facelift seems better put together than the pre, I am going from memory of my pre facelift mind. Will have a look over the board to see if there's anything obvious.

12. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Had a good look around the two boards in the HFT module. Nothing obvious like a duff cap but plenty of solder that could be dry. There's thread on one of the US forums that suggest cooking the boards in an oven to reflow the solder works. Well, it might but to do it properly flux should be used and you can't use that in a domestic oven. There is a place down the road that does reflowing the proper way. I'll drop them an email and see if they'll give it a go.

Ichiban likes this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    keep us posted mate.

14. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Will do. My unit is a pink label one, Rev. 5, which is apparently the later one which you would think the good folk at Johnson Controls Interiors had ironed out the problems, but no. I think I now know the real reason Trumpy wants to build a fence to keep the Mexican's out: he's had a Honda/Acura with a failed HFT/HFL*.

*The units are made in Mexico for the uninitiated.