Introductions Hi all Accord Fans can you please hlep

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by markus1963, Monday 9th Jan, 2012.

1. markus1963 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi All
    I currently run an 08 plate I-DTEC Accord. In the past I have been a Honda owner through and through.
    This is my 6th Honda and 3rd Accord.
    I have a problem with the good old DPF and wonder if any one has experinced the same issue. At about 25k I had the DPF warning light come on and the car went in to limp mode.
    It happened again in December at 40k. And again last week, 5 weeks after the last time in December.
    My dealer Crown Honda, in Bushey, who have been brilliant up to now have the car. They rang me at work to ask if I had put in oil recently as there appears to be more in there than there should be. I have never topped up oil on this car since I have owned it.
    In the past they having done a controlled regen , they have suggested thatthe car should be driven up the motorway for 20 minutes at 60 miles per hour in 4th gear, then do this once a week. This is daft as I have never heard of having to drive up the motorway on unecessary journeys to stop a car breaking down.

Can anyone help

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

3. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    the problem is customers not being told about how there car works before they buy them. this is a problem common to all DPF fitted vehicles not just honda's, the car will self re-gen under certain driving conditions. if those conditions are not met for a long while, the deposits inside the filter clog up enough to put the DPF light on and enter limp home mode. modern diesels are a lot a lot cleaner than they used to be but it unfortunately has its draw backs at the moment.
    if you don't change your driving habbits/style, i am affraid you will allways have DPF problems.

4. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi Markus what sort of mileage do you cover and what types of journeys. Infrequent short distance journeys will mean that the car will need to regen more but the problems occur when the conditions aren't met and the DPF becomes blocked. Beefy is our resident Master Technician and has no doubt worked on this problem before so speaks from experience.

5. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello and welcome Markus. Not sure about exactly how the Accord DPF works, but a lot of manufacturers systems inject diesel into the exhaust stroke of the engine to regen the filter. The problem is if the engine is switched off or doesn't get hot enough, this diesel gets dumped into the engine oil. This causes the engine oil level to increase. It's a really common problem on Mazda 6, there is lots of stories of the 2.0L Mazda 6 engine running away on its own due to the oil level increasing so high that the engine feeds itself on the oil.

6. markus1963 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys
    Thank you all for your welcome and thoughts. I picked the car up and spoke to the technician who worked at some length. He went through all the tests that he had done. He had also been on to the Honda UK technical department and the website that Honda dealers use to leave tips for each other on various issues. He said that no one had come across this particular issue.
    One problem is that having looked at the blog on this site about DPF's I noted that there are various stages that DPF goes through before the warning light stays on. Normally you should get the DPF warning light flicker to let you know that you need to go the driving regen programme. I have only ever got the go direct to the dealer light and it goes in to limp mode.
    I have been to the dealer in the past for the engine oil issue recall.

Having spent 2 days on the car, the only way the dealer could get the DPF light to go out was to do a regen on their machine.

When I collected the car I asked about if I needed the to do a drive down the motorway in 5th gear at 60 mph which is what I was told last time. The 2 service advisors and the technician who worked on the car all gave conflciting information. The technician said the regen was complete and I did not need to do any thing. One of the service advisors said to do 37mph for 20 minutes as per the hand book and the other advisor said 60mph in 5th gear.

Any one have any thoughts.

I contacted Honda UK customer services and they are going to speak to the dealer and look in to it then get back tomorrow.

Just to add insult to injury, when I went to drive away the car we dead and would not turn over. They jump started the card took in in to the work shop and found that the battery was dead, so that was £85.00 I was not expecting.

The one thing I have to say is that the dealer, Crown Honda in Bushey have been absoluly fantastic and helpfull and would recommend them to any one.

I will drop a line as soon as I have heard back from Honda.

Cheers
    Markus

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    markus1963.........make sure to ask your dealer if your accord has had the latest oil level increase recall carried out. you don't menchon that you have had this carried out, and may well be the reason for your oil level increase. the recall includes an oil and filter change and software update to improve the re-gen process. checking the cars software should be the first thing that is carried out when diagnosing a DPF light.

8. markus1963 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Beefy
    Thanks for your reply. The oil level recall was done a few months ago, following the Honda recall letter. I will contact them about the software update to immprove the re-gen.

Thanks for the tip.

Kind regards
    Markus

9. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    thats hilarious!....i write a post and you beat me to it just as i post it.........looks like they had the ignition on for a fair while for your battery to go flat. you don't need to drive any speed or distance after a forced re-gen as the dpf is fully regenerated with no particulates stored. i have lookd at a handfull of Accords where it seems the flickering warning light does not come on and all they see is the constant light and limp home mode. this is why......here is the regeneration criteria : a) At less than 7g the DPF system will automatically clean itself whilst driving once the DPF is up to correct operating temperature
    (NO WARNING LIGHT)

b) At 7-11g the system will attempt to clean itself whilst driving regardless of DPF temperature (NO WARNING LIGHT)

c) At 11-15g the system will alert the driver by blinking the DPF warning light on the dashboard. The owner should then follow the driving instruction explained in the owner’s manual to help clean the system. This requires a constant speed of at least 37mph to be maintained for up to 15 minutes. (BLINKING WARNING LIGHT)

d) Above 16g the system will reduce engine power to prevent damage due to a blockage occurring. (SOLID LIGHT AND LIMP HOME MODE)

If you were to stop your car while it is self regenerating (no warning light) enough times your dpf can very quickly fill with particulates, enough to bypass the advisory warning. i would suggest you use a better fuel and try to take your car on a good run at leist once a week. ime interested to hear what honda cs have to say.

10. markus1963 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Beefy
    Many thanks to all your help. Am I correct that you are a Honda tech, because you certainly know your info.
    I will be changing to either Shell Premum or BP Ultimate on the next fill up. What you have said about stopping the car whils the self regen is goining on has been sent by some one who is a Vauxhall (sorry to swear) after sales manager and this this apparently is a comon issue with cars with DPFs on short journeys.
    My dealer has also mentioned about doing a motorway run once aweek. I did this for 3 weeks after the issue in December, but missed out 2 weeks over Christmas as I did not use the card hardly at all.
    I am starting a new job 1st Feb and instead of an 18 mile round trip will be doing about 60-70 miles each day so hopefully this will help.

Is there a particular speed or gear I should use and any particluar distance I should do. Also should I use cruise control to keep the speed constant.

Many thanks again for all you help.

Markus

11. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    there is no real guide as to what gear to be in or whether to be in cruise control or not. simply drive at a constant speed over 37mph for up to 15 mins. but obviously if the car is cold (just after start-up) the DPF will not get warm enough even if driving at the correct speed. as a rule of thumb so long as the heaters are blowing hot, the engine is warm and the self regen will be posible if you drive at the correct speed. did your dealer give you a small pamphlet on how to look after your DPF?.......as part of the warranty procedure they should have given you one.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would like to know if the lease companies hand this over this leaflet to the end user, as majority of the Accord drivers don't turn up at dealerships their cars are taken to them.. I hope Honda UK has closed this bridge otherwise you will never eradicate this problem . Currently users are only find this procedure when they come into the dealership once they had this problem.

I am not aware how this works if Honda is doing this then the fault solely lies with the user.

13. markus1963 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Beefy
    I did not get a leaflet about the DPF. I did not know that car had a DPF or what it did until the first time the go to dealer warning light came on and I had to look it up in the hand book.
    The car is my own and not a company car, so there is no one ther to go to.

Thanks again

Markus

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Marcus I will try to get hold of this leaflet as it clear to see the message is not getting out there.

15. markus1963 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Ichiban Accord
    That would be great if it is possible.

Kind regards
    Markus

16. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    it is attached to a service bulliten. if CJ dusnt find it i will! on your marks........get set..........go!!!!!

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Marcus, thanks to Honda the customer guide is on provided here.

Please print it off so you have it in the glove box.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    with a little help of a Honda man.:Wink:

19. markus1963 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Ichiban
    Thats great.

Many thans for your help.

Kind regards
    Markus

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    NP fella you will find this info only on AOC.