Introductions Hi all

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ryshard84, Tuesday 26th Aug, 2014.

1. ryshard84 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richard Leominster
    Hi. I was looking for best Honda Club in UK and its look like i jusy find one very pleased so far. Im after VII gen Accord 2.2 cdti which im looking for couple of weeks now and still no success :-( I have a VI gen Accord in the past but due to move a bit far from work i was force to sell it (2.0 VTEC you can't call him economical) and buy a diesel and now i just want to back to Accord.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome aboard mate. Glad you've found us :Smile:

Make sure you have good service history on any I-CDTI that you look at. Otherwise a badly loked after desiel can land you with big bills later down the line.
    Regular (6K) oil changes are most on those engines.

Alternatively have you thought about an LPG Accord ? My 2.4 Accord LPG returns cost equivalent of around 50MPG (or more).

3. ryshard84 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richard Leominster
    I could consider 2.4 with LPG but there is a few things which pull me off... 1. Not many of them = i have to pay for instaltion etc 2. Can't trust them they ok when they fairly new but they can make some problems later on (i know those lpg now days are more advanced) but i don't say NO :Smile: The other thing about Honda diesels i heard oil changes must be done on time its not easy to find one with good service history... I guess find the right one take me some time

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Mines done nearly 100K just on LPG alone, still going strong, never missed a beat on LPG.

It depends on how well the system has been installed.

I'm an LPG installer, so if you have any more question, don't hesitate to ask.

The advise on regular oil changes on Honda diesels, actually applies to all diesels. Old diesel oil becomes acidic and starts to eat away at things like the timing chain.

5. ryshard84 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richard Leominster
    Hmm intresting just wonder if for example i will bring a Accord to you how much it will cost me converting to LPG ?

6. ryshard84 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richard Leominster
    Im just starting be a bit worried when i read about issues in cdti engines and timechain sounds like a expensive one which should be a strongest point of this engine...

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK rysshard84. :welcome:
    There is an extensive 7th Generation section here. Have a browse.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to the club @ryshard84, I wouldn't worry too much about the diesels - it's more important that service history as been adhered to than just looking at the miles themselves. Be aware that getting close to or above 6 figures, you'll likely be needing a clutch change before too long. It really depends on how the previous owner has driven the car, you'll find some do 50,000, and others 150,000.

The petrol Hondas in general are more robust, but as diesel reliability goes, Honda is still amongst the best. If the cost of an LPG install makes going for a petrol Accord too expensive, then I'd look for a diesel with a complete service history.

11. ryshard84 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richard Leominster
    Thanks everybody for warm welcome and good advices. I just have to keep looking ;-)

12. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to HK ryshard84 :welcome:

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Sorry Richard, missed your question regarding cost. For an Accord it'll be around £1000 mark. Beware of cheaper quotes than this, many short cuts are taking on these cheaper installs and of course the component used are of lower quality.

ryshard84 likes this.
  14. ryshard84 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richard Leominster
    What about 2.0 l engine its diffrence between 2.4 or price is the same ?

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Be about the same. Let me drop you a PM this evening when I'm home with some firm options.

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    What's your purchasing budget and maximum mileage? I was seriously considering the LPG route via Speedy with my 7th Generation 2.4 but I think he was too busy at the time (Civic Type-R project or something?) but ended up giving the car to my parents who don't do big miles. Spoke with my dad the other day there and he's getting 35mpg out of it and most of that is local driving. Not bad for a 2.4 although I'm sure the 0W20 oil is helping.

LPG would be a great route to go down, performance, reliability and quietness of a petrol without the costly fuel bills. I believe it's actually safer than petrol also (which was one of my concerns), something to do with the LPG tanks go through far stricter safety testing than fuel tanks I think?

Never thought of asking but do you offer a warranty with your installation Speedy? Also what kind of range do you get with LPG?

If not going down the LPG route, well I've just bought a CR-V CTDi and I have to admit it's a very quiet diesel, especially in the cabin. You barely hear it and the reviews say the Accord diesel is even quieter! It doesn't have that agricultural sound which many other diesels have such as the Mondeo and when accelerating you don't get that diesel clatter. As they say, it really does drive like a petrol, although not a Honda petrol :Wink:

Personally, I'd stick with looking at the Honda main dealers as I was finding the prices through independents weren't much cheaper but with Honda you get a one year warranty and it's pretty comprehensive. Plus there's the advantage of being able to take it to any Honda dealer for warranty work.

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Most of the LPG kits on the market come with a 2 year manufacturers warranty, so I match that.
    The caveat being that the LPG system needs to be serviced as per manufacturers recommendations.

Regarding tank range, lets assume you average 30MPG on petrol, a 50litre LPG tank should give you approximately 280 miles.
    Assuming average cost for LPG is about 60p/litre (prices does vary widely depending on your location). A 50 litre LPG fill up will cost you £30.
    So the 280 miles cost you £30. Assuming petrol cost £1.30/litre @ 30 MPG, 280 miles would have cost you about £55.

Also worth remembering that converting to LPG may void any warranty that the car may have.