Introductions Hi everyone... and now for a rant

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ziggy49, Saturday 19th Apr, 2014.

1. Ziggy49 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Warwick
    Ok, I know it's not the done thing to launch into a rant at the start of which may become a lasting relationship, but.... For the past 4 years, I have owned a Volvo V40 diesel, x reg, yr2000.(more of that later). And this year I'm looking to retire, and want to get a car that will tick as many boxes on my list as possible, but then again, don't we all?
    I've set myself a budget of £4000, which will be by far the most I've ever spent on a car in my entire life, by a very long margin, my Volvo cost me £2200 four yrs ago, and that at the time was the most I'd spent on a car.
    So, a few weeks ago I start doing some preliminary searching for a car that will tick those boxes, which are:-
    1. It must have a camchain, so that rules out about 90% of cars on the road.
    2. I quite fancy an Auto.But that's not set in stone. My daughter only has an Auto licence, so that will allow her to drive it too.
    3. It has to be a diesel.
    4.I want Quality
    5. I want reliability.
    6. Economy won't be a huge criteria once I'm retired, but I still don't want to run a V6 2.5 petrol!
    Anyway, after hunting round and looking at a few different possibilties, and getting excited at one or two, I have reached the conlusion that we, the punters are being screwed rotten by car manufacturers!
    It's true to say that EVERY car I liked the sound of, be it Merc, BMW, whatever, on closer inspection, has some nasty fault! Take Mercedes, their quality has taken a nosedive since about 1998, with rust being a huge problem on some of their cars, as well as the electronics,and BMW seem to have lost the plot as far as build quality is concerned, both trading on past reputation. So I liked the look of the Mazda 6 diesel, but no, it seems that the engine has a horrid reputation of going expensively wrong.....Renault, poor quality electrics and suspension faults. And the list goes on and on regardless of which car maker you care to choose! Try to get an opinion on any car, and very soon you hear that this goes wrong, or that they are known for this failing, or that cracking,"Make sure you get the model after this one, 'cos early ones suffered from whatever," etc, etc
    I mean, for crying out loud, they've been making cars for over 100 years, and they still can't get it right? Or is it "won't" get it right?
    We all accept that nothing lasts forever, and that things wear out, fair enough, but when cars are thrown at us that have such glaring faults such as (fill in the space) and the manufacturers admit to the problem, but still refuse to put it right, that is just unacceptable!
    Back to my Volvo. There was/is a problem with the routing of the wiring loom. Some braindead "designer" decided to route it underneath the radiator, where, due to the heat up, cool down, and inevitable coolant leaks, the insulation perished, causing all sorts of faults. Volvo admitted to knowing about the problem, but would they do a recall? Oh no, not them. I could go on and on.
    So why am I posting this on a Honda forum? Well, after all said and done, I think that the Honda Accord, ticks more boxes than the rest, so far. I may learn different, but as of now, I seem to be leaning towards an Accord. I still wish there was a hatchback version, but there isn't.
    I would like to know why I should buy an Accord, conversely, why I shouldn't. At the end of the day I have to decide for myself. But, I feel drawn towards the Accord more than any other car I've looked at so far. Enough to have taken the time to write this, anyway.
    Looking forward to hearing from you guys. Thanks for reading this.
    Dave

2. Ziggy49 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Warwick
    I forgot an important criteria for my next car.....it has to be good on the eyes, again, the Accord ticks that box.

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hi Ziggy49, and welcome to HK. :Hey:

I've driven Accords since the 90's. Petrol and diesel.
    My present diesel PFL 7th Generation is 10 years old and I've had her for over 9 years.

Honda build well engineered, reliable cars.
    Fact.
    Just look at the reliability results, year after year and you will see that.

As with all cars though, you must service them at the correct time, and to maintain that reliability and performance, use genuine Honda parts.
    When buying used cars, you are therefore relying on the previous owner(s) to have done as above.
    A FSH will give you some faith in the vehicle.

WRT petrol or diesel, the petrol engines are pretty bomb proof. There are many owners on here that can testify to that.
    They are also very economical, and deliver good MPG.

Diesels are really best if you do mainly distance runs. Mainly short trips are going to cause issues in the long run.
    Diesels that have not been properly maintained give rise to costly repairs.

If you really want diesel, the 8th Generation I-DTEC engine is much better than the earlier 7th Generation I-CTDI and have fewer issues
    This, I believe is not down to poor build quality, (mine is 10 years old) but poor owners who have not maintained their cars.

Having said that, you may struggle to find an I-DTEC for £4000.
    Good luck with your search, and I hope you do find a Honda. They are exceptionally good cars.

The rest of the guys will undoubtedly be online later on and give you their views.

DeviateDefiant and Ziggy49 like this.
  4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Hi Ziggy49 welcome to HK.

My main question would be how many miles are you doing? TBH if you're not doing the miles then the justification for a diesel just isn't there. if you're not doing the miles then that's a recipe for expensive DPF problems with any modern diesel engine which just isn't worth the hassle.

If you're definitely after a diesel then the I-DTEC is a better choice than the I-CTDI as it's Honda's second generation diesel engine. Unfortunately an 8th Generation is likely to be out of your price range. That would leave the 7th Generation I-CTDI. The 7th Generation facelift diesels are better then the pre face lift. The I-CTDI is a good engine, it's far better than any offering from the German manufacturers, but you need to make sure you get one which has been properly maintained with regular oil changes. Poorly maintained high mileage ones can suffer from the oil pump chain stretching or even breaking which can be a costly repair. But as with all cars if you buy a poorly maintained one then you will expect to have problems. Make sure you buy one with a good service history, regular oil changes using 0w30 every 6-10k miles, and has been maintained well then it should last a long time. My I-CTDI is still going strong with no problems and still sounds far smoother and quieter than any new German diesel engine.

Ziggy49 likes this.
  5. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I'm on my second 7th generation diesel and both have been faultless.

I went off the rails a bit after I sold my first 7th Generation and bought a Mazda then a Toyota then a BMW. All 3 gave me problems. Back to Honda and all is well with the world once more.

Hope that helps.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to HK Dave.

Nels and Doc have pretty much covered everything in their two posts, there's not much to add to what they have said.

7. Ziggy49 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Warwick
    Thanks for the replies guys. I do about 1000 miles a month I guess, give or take. But once I'm retired that will drop quite a bit, although not a lot, 'cos I'll be able to visit my daughter and grand daughter more often (100 mile round trip) I do notice that some petrol Accords claim to do 40+MPG on a run, so that might not be a no no. And an auto box is more available on petrol models too. What are auto boxes like on the Accord btw, any opinions?

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Im a manual man myself but a drove an auto facelift 7th Generation Accord a couple of months back, I was really impressed with it. The autobox responded really well to exactly what I wanted of it.

9. Ziggy49 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Warwick
    Thanks again for your input guys. I hope I can get rid of my awful 'blindness' when going to look at cars! I have this awful habit of looking with rose tinted glasses, and miss glaring faults, to the extent of waking up the next day and not recognising the car I bought yesterday! " I can't remember that ding, or that noise or that rip in the seat." etc, etc. I try to be cold and critical but it never seems to work out. I guess there's wisdom in taking someone else along with you who can see straight!

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to the club Dave, I echo what everyone has has already said - the 7th Generation's are superb cars. There's very few common problems with them in general, though worth nothing those there are are more commonly found on the diesel models. If you find a car that's been properly maintained with a strong service history then I can't see you having any major issues, I would advise Facelift (06+) for a diesel as there's quite a few teething problems from the first models sorted.

Ziggy49 likes this.
  11. Ziggy49 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Warwick
    After looking at the specs for the different models, I might actually consider going back to a petrol engine. They seem to be rather good economy wise, and all comments so far have only singled out diesel cars. Who knows, it's early days yet, I'm in no great rush, tax on the Volvo goes to Oct, so that's 6 months of looking. Just an aside, any opinions on the new shape Civic?

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Personally I quite like them compared to the 8th Generation Civic, but you won't find too much love from a lot of members here. The Accord a Japanese designed and built car, the Civic comes from Swindon - while it's still a reliable and refined Honda, in a lot of members minds they're not of the same calibre as the real JDM cars. Swindon has made a few big "cock-ups" over the years. It's like the two halves of the Honda family with Swindon carrying the Honda brand in the UK, but the Japanese jems being what really makes Honda so great.

Petrol Honda engines are what made the brand famous, they're world renowned for reliability. Honda didn't put out it's own diesel engine until about 12 years ago. The early I-CDTI have their issues, the later ones are much better - the I-DTEC is a better engine all round.

The most non-biased way to approach this is to test drive both models and see what you think.

Ziggy49 likes this.
  13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Welcome to the forum, you have already seen how useful it is and how helpful the members are :Smile:

I'm useless looking at cars as well, so it isn't just you. Taking somebody with you who either knows what they are looking at, or who can be critical of what you are looking at, is 100% the right approach IMHO unless you know exactly what you are doing. And I don't...:What:

BTW I'm in the minority on the new Civic as well, I really like it both to drive and to look at. I think it is much better than most of the alternatives from Kia, Hyundai, VW or Toyota.

Ziggy49 likes this.
  14. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to HK Dave.

Out of the diesels I have driven (VAG, Vauxhall, Nissan, Lexus, Mercedes) the Honda I-DTEC has to be the best, then the ICTDI then the Lexus unit. Drive a diesel VW or Vauxhall then get into a Honda diesel and it feels like the Honda diesel is a petrol.

not been driving Honda diesel for long but so far my comment re MPG is that unless you are doing 100s mile runs on motorway at steady speed then 2.0iVTEC considerably cheaper to buy and only say 7MPG at the most worse around town and 5-10MPG worse on long run (nearer to 5 than 10 MPG in my experience so far). I will say I'm still very much in the loosening up period of my I-DTEC so it may well be the case that MPG is yet to improve further. Diesel owners who've had them a lot longer can provide better comment than me.

As regard to quality and reliability Honda is second to none. I can't provide mechanical advice to the level that a lot of the guys on here can but what I will say is I'm, on my 5th consecutive Accord and hoping that the rumours of its discontinuation aren't true as there is nothing else I would have in preference really. All I've had fail really is a blown light bulb.

I am of course biased :lol:

15. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to HK Dave.
    I think you've been given some good advice from the guys here.
    I'll just add my own experiences I've owned my 2.4ltr Type-S for 8 years and I've never had any major problems with it.
    I don't know if running costs are and issue because I discovered recently that the pre face lift 7th Generation in this model has lower road fund licence so that's one thing you might like to think about. Also as this is the accord top dog so to speak 2.4ltr 187bhp etc driven conservatively I get good MPG if I decide to drive it like Lewis Hamilton then the pennies start to tumble ( it drinks the fuel ) which doesn't happen to often.
    You'll get different feelings about which engine is best etc etc but I like the power of the 2.4ltr it gives you exactly what you want when you want it. I suppose that's true with all versions.
    If you are unsure about the Accord then look for one near to you and get a test drive,you don't have to buy the car but you will get a feel of what they are like.
    Hope you find what you want and remember there's always people here who are more than willing to help you if you need it.

John Dickson and Nels like this.
  16. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The I-DTEC drinks like no tomorrow if you drive it enthusiastically. Yes I'm comparing apples with oranges here but the impact on economy when driving hard is bigger on the diesel than a petrol. Mine still has to loosen up fully so as I said earlier there may well be a large improvement to come once it hits the 10k mark.

You could always get 2.0/2.4 i-VTEC and get gas conversion installed.

MickyB likes this.
  17. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've seen a couple of Accords with LPG conversions I think the cost is around £1500 but the savings well out weigh the cost.

18. Ziggy49 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Warwick
    Funny, I used to fit LPG conversion kits to cars back in 1998. I had a 2nd Generation Cavalier then, and converted that, and I loved it. I still have the kit lying about, well, most of it, well, some of it, but being a non-cat carb engine, the kit isn't really suitable for modern engines, but heyho.
    Its been mentioned that the later diesels are better than earlier ones. What exactly is the difference that makes them better, and how do you identify a facelift model? And did the petrol engine benefit with the facelift at all? Sorry to be asking so many questions like this. Also, is this the right forum for this topic, as I just started by saying Hi? If any Admin wants to, feel free to move it to a more appropriate section. Ooh, another Q, am I correct in thinking that the petrol engines are all cam chain too?

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

2006 and later are Facelift models, though a few '06 are Pre-Facelift still. There's a ton of subtle differences, but the easiest way to tell is by the chrome front grill (except Type-S) and different bumper shape. Also, notice the subtle blue tint in the corner of the headlights.

Pre-Facelift
    :

4e686d5cf2ea175762578f8e9.

Facelift:

dsc01825.JPG

The plain black grills are only on petrol Type-S/Euro-R (did the "Sport" get these guys?):

01w.

You're perfectly fine with the questions mate. The Facelift versions had numerous benefits, I've recently upgraded myself from a Pre-Facelift to Facelift 2.4 Type-S. I put down some of my thoughts/observations here where you'll also find a link to Honda's full list of Facelift changes :Smile:

All K-Series (petrol) Honda engines have timing chains and not belts.

Ziggy49 and SpeedyGee like this.
  20. Ziggy49 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Warwick
    Wow DD, you don't do things in half measures, do you? But why did you scrap your '03 car, was it just 'cos of the airbag probs,if so, they must have been pretty severe?
    You also seem to have much too much time and money on your hands, so if I can help inany way to relieve you of either, just say the word!:Tongue:. I was thinking about trying to find an Accord with SatNav, but after hearing your horror story about the HFT module, I think I'll pass on that!:Unknown: