Introductions Hi everyone :) Newby to the site (UK)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by vtecjay, Wednesday 9th Jul, 2014.

1. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    This is my second honda.. The first being an mb6 vtis before the accord. What's the things to look for on a 2000 plate 2.0 VTEC f20b6. Thanks in advance. Jay

20140709_053459.

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Beauty of a 6th Generation you've got there. Really liking the side skirts + front bumper :Thumbup:

As for things to look for, depends on the mileage. If the cars been properly maintained then you shouldn't have much to worry about. That said take a look at the 6th generation section and see if anything in particular jogs your memory. If you want to upgrade any part of your vehicle then take a look at the DIY section.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    She's looking very tasteful Jay, welcome to the club :Smile: The most prevelant issue I see coming up on 6th Gens Accords at the moment is rust, they're getting to that age where it can be a major issue for some requiring extensive welding work. @Rhys would be able to tell you a bit more about what's he's gone through lately.

4. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    It's how I bought it mate. Presumed it was honda fitted. It's done 131000 miles an the engine itself is spotless. I'll check out the threads tomorrow when I'm on the laptop as on my phone at the mo.. Thanks for the reply :Wink:

5. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    From what I've checked so far the main body is completely rust free! Tailgate hinges look a little scabby but going to address that before it becomes an issue. Any advice is muchly appreciated guys

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It's sounding like you've found a very good sample :Smile: Some of the 6th Generation owners can no doubt give you more advice on what to watch out for.

vtecjay likes this.
  7. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    A good friend of mine (staffyboy) told me about honda karma so will stick to this forum lol

Chunkylover53 and DeviateDefiant like this.
  8. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    Seems so at the moment lol. In time we shall see. Fingers crossed she's a good one.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

With 131k miles... check timing belt, change transmission oil, fuel filter, air, oil, is the clutch slipping?, lambda sensor, water pump, exhaust rust is also an issue

10. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Welcome to the forum :Smile: I had a major rust issue with mine up in the inner front arches although I'm not a 100% sure it was specific to the accord Type-R which is what I have got. Check out the pics in the projects section under 'the Type-R'. Another place to check is under the seals around the doors and have a really good look under the car in general. Your accord looks tidy and the lip kit adds a nice sporty look to it ! I had a sport before my ATR and it was a saloon with exactly the same kit which were available from factory but only on the pre-facelift models as the facelift ones had it all moulded in one piece with a slightly different look

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK Jay. :Hey:
    That's a clean smart 6th Generation you've got.

vtecjay likes this.
  12. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    She's been good at the mo. Only problem is when you start it it cuts out straight away until you jiggle the key about or whack the cowling.. annoying lol

13. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    Timing belt was apparently changed not long ago. Lambda has definitely been Changed, doing a full service in next couple of weeks an the clutch is lovely an tight.. no vibration or slipping at all. It just feels really lazy even on VTEC, the power band does change on VTEC but getting it there it just feels dead an under gentle acceleration it feels like it's hesitating.

14. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Does it hesitate in or just before VTEC ? If so check oil level or better still oil change and filter ;-) low oil can cause hesitation especially in VTEC, I had same issue when I had the sport, topped up oil and it solved the problem.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yup as @Rhys said just do an oil + filter change. I had the same issues after 4k miles, left it till 6k miles to change the oil and the difference afterwards was very evident. Now I'm planning on doing oil changes every 3k miles.

EDIT: Also check the EGR - chances are it'll be dirty if the oil change doesn't help

16. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    Hesitating throughout the Rev range, i'll get the oil an filters changed + get EGR checked an see what happens. Shopping list is getting bigger by the day lol

17. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm certain that will fix it. Check the EGR first, requires nothing to be bought. If it's clean then change the oil filter (around £8 from HH) and some oil (I got Mobil 10w40 for £18 off Amazon).

18. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    I'll get on the case weekend coming. Thanks again guys

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

When you check the EGR, check the TB too for carbon build-up.

20. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    Yea I did thing throttle body but not checked either yet as not had the time.