Introductions Hi from an MG Owner!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by MGOwner, Tuesday 10th Feb, 2015.

1. MGOwner New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Matt Chichester
    Hey,

I drive an MG, which you might think is a bit odd that I've registered here!

To give the short story, my GF's parents drive a Honda Accord (Y reg), which has just had a failed Gearbox (auto)! Sadly its not economical to repair and they are looking at scrapping it. I've contacted the local scrappies to find out what they will give us for it.

HOWEVER! Being an MG owner I realise that old cars that are beyond economical repair, are often used to help keep others on the road! I was wondering if I'm able to advertise it on here to sell on as spares/repairs? I read that I need to be a club member "rank", but not sure what this is?

Apologies if I missed something obvious! I won't post any more details until it is all in line with the rules!

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Tuesday 10th Feb, 2015
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  3. MGOwner New Member Getting Started

Thanks for your reply Speedy :Smile:

Given it a read over thanks for that! Sadly I don't think they can keep hold of the car for 2 weeks for me to accrue enough posts! lol.
    Thanks for your assistance, will have to go down the scrap route sadly from the sound of it!
    - - - Updated - - -
    (Can't seem to edit the above post), was just going to say, that your name suits you well! lol.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    LOL. Thanks !

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    We do come across scenarios like this quite often, you are able to get around the restriction by getting the monthly Premium Member upgrade for £2.50 (and then cancelling it) - there's a few 6th Generation Accord owners here who may be tempted by the offer, but of course, depends on the ability they have to store an extra car themselves.

6. MGOwner New Member Getting Started

No worries, thanks for the reply. I realised about the premium upgrade available. Sadly, I won't be seeing any of this money (doing it for Step-Parents as a favour)! Thanks for your help both of you :Smile:

7. nick-b Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Nick oxford
    wouldn't the Honda engines fit inside some MG's? thought the rover's were based on the old Honda platforms?

8. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    You are right that several Rover models used Honda engines but I don't think any of the MGs had Honda engines, by the time they re launched the MG brand they had gone back to their own engines

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Welcome to HK , I am sure you could have got a second hand auto gearbox from a scrap yard and get the old girl back on the road.

10. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    When you say it is a Y-reg car, I assume it is a Y-prefix (2001) and not a Y-suffix (1982-3) and not a Type-R or Type-V or anything fancy.

I'm not sure how much of a market there is for a not-yet-classic Honda with a dead autobox. Is the rest of the car mint and low mileage? If so, then as Ichiban mentioned above, it may be worthwhile for a mechanically handy Honda enthusiast to fix it up and resell it, so advertise it on ebay as spares/repairs.

If it's "average" (or a bit of a shed), then it depends how much effort you want to put into squeezing every last bit of value out of the car (and whether your in-laws don't mind looking like pikeys having a semi-dismantled car on their driveway for a while). Is there anything easily salvageable? Nice leather interior? Light clusters? Unkerbed alloy wheels? Take them off, whack them on ebay, and then let the scrap man pay you (£150?) for what's left.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  11. nick-b Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Nick oxford
    any pics of this accord?

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK @MGOwner :welcome:
    I hope you find a solution to this issue.

13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello:Bye:and a big :welcome:to the club

14. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to HK @MGOwner :welcome:

Hope you get a good solution. Would be nice to see it brought back to life especially now Accords are on the endangered list.

I know some things just aren't practical though but it would be nice to see someone rescue it if possible. :goodluck:

15. MGOwner New Member Getting Started

Hi All,

Sorry for not replying. I missed the emails stating I had replies! Sadly it was picked up today by the Scrapman for a measly £60. Disgraceful. Sorry guys.
    It was in v.good condition serviced every year since the current owners had it, only thing dodgy was the gearbox. Bit gutted myself really, hate to see it being wasted like that!

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    That is a shame Matt, but thanks for keeping us posted nonetheless.